BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-09-2024, 01:40 PM   #8339
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I work with people who are constantly checking their door locks out of a misguided sense of security, and I think of pictures like this.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      09-09-2024, 03:24 PM   #8340
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I work with people who are constantly checking their door locks out of a misguided sense of security, and I think of pictures like this.
Most doors can be kicked in with one or two well placed kicks. Doors are only superficial layers of defense.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 05:35 PM   #8341
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Locks are only used to keep honest people honest.....
      09-09-2024, 05:49 PM   #8342
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Why are we still having problems like we are now having with Tyreek Hill?!

I hate this world. There is zero excuse for anything even close to this to be happening.

When Calais Campbell said that Tyreek said "Don't leave me. Don't leave me." to Jonnu Smith, I cried. This is disgusting.

God knows what may have happened if his teammates didn't stop.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619086.50
Buug95921300.00
      09-09-2024, 08:28 PM   #8343
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post

I hate this world. There is zero excuse for anything even close to this to be happening.

When Calais Campbell said that Tyreek said "Don't leave me. Don't leave me." to Jonnu Smith, I cried. This is disgusting.

God knows what may have happened if his teammates didn't stop.
Let’s be completely objective and fair in the assessment before allowing emotion to color perspective.

Firstly, we don’t know what his driving behavior was prior to the traffic stop. The article says “speeding”, but based on the number of patrol units that responded, it was probably more like exhibition of speed or reckless driving (…both misdemeanors). Generally speaking, you don’t have that level of response unless the driving behavior warrants it.

Secondly, the act of telling an officer, “Don’t knock on my window like ‘dat!” multiple times, rolling up your window and then refusing to roll it down after repeated lawful orders…..AND THEN telling the officer, “Don’t tell me what to do!”…..escalates ANY traffic stop ANYWHERE in the country. That’s on Hill 100% and you cannot fault the officer for matching that energy. Additionally, Hill didn’t exactly/willfully exit the car when asked. Even I would remove somebody from the car for doing what he did and apply force if necessary. The motorist doesn’t get to dictate the traffic stop and if you were a cop, you wouldn’t allow that either.

One can make an argument regarding the officer’s tone, and to some degree I can understand and align with that sentiment, but when you encounter the behavior Hill exhibited you tend to stop being diplomatic and begin to be very direct/stern. Again, something I have also done.

I think it’s unfair to imply that some misuse/abuse of power or some impropriety would’ve occurred if the teammates (…who did, indeed, disrupt that traffic stop) didn’t arrive on scene. Disobeying lawful orders never works out well for the person failing to comply.

Your perspective will differ from that of somebody who is tasked with the enforcement of laws, and that is understandable. Florida still has very active LEO’s who receive a lot of community support. That’s the wrong state to play games on traffic stops. That behavior might work in certain areas in California or other super blue states, but not in a red state.

….and to answer your question, “Why are we still having problems like this? (Paraphrased)”..

it’s because people exhibit poor behavior. Poor behavior when dealing with law enforcement and poor behavior in general. People are disrespectful and exhibit little accountability for their actions. Hill has a history of domestic violence, child abuse, assault, etc. Let’s not act like we’re dealing with a pillar of society here.
Appreciate 14
JeffL0798.00
Buug95921300.00
Llarry20251.00
dradernh4808.50
T0RM3NT4425.00
dmatre735.00
vreihen1619086.50
BMWGUYinCO4297.00
jamesinaz1803.00
Kaizer84108.50
sygazelle12390.50
      09-10-2024, 01:12 AM   #8344
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
I came here to ask the same question with a different point of view - given the inherent risks faced by LEOs, why do people think they can be dismissive to the point of making a LEO uncertain if they are in danger...

The inmates at the asylum are now making the rules and setting policy...

Think about all the people (mostly young men) being told that Tyreek's behavior is acceptable and the LEOs were at fault...
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan26655.00
vreihen1619086.50
BMWGUYinCO4297.00
jamesinaz1803.00
Kaizer84108.50
      09-10-2024, 06:28 AM   #8345
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Thanks! I love BMW's and I love what I do......even though I'm crazy for doing it.

I think the most common excuse usually begins with, "I didn't know.....", even though I know that the motorist knew that they were speeding, didn't have license plates, etc. With rare exception, we all know when we're breaking the law. I approach enforcement from the mindset that I try to avoid being hypocritical. I don't run a front plate on my car, for example, so I'm not going to jam somebody up over the lack of a front plate if that's the only infraction that I notice. I will, however, write tint citations (...or use it as cause to pull somebody over and hopefully find a way into that car). I don't have tint on any car though. The reason why tint matters [to me] is because it's a professional/occupational hazard, especially in low light conditions. Somebody could be pointing a gun at me and I wouldn't have the slightest clue, so I approach EVERY tinted car prepared for shit to hit the fan.
EXACTLY, which is why I 100% stand behind the actions of the Miami police that removed the Dolphins Tyreek Hill from his car.

Police experience aspects of society most of us are totally unfamiliar with - these videos don’t magically provide the gen population with the realities of why police perceive a threat. Most people don’t have even close to the amount of guts and courage it takes to be out doing police work. But the videos do provide trolls with an opportunity to try an discourage the police from doing their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan26655.00
vreihen1619086.50
Kaizer84108.50
      09-10-2024, 06:32 AM   #8346
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Another Dodge Challenger stripped of its wheels….
I've noticed having locking wheel lugs is not that much of a done thing in US.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      09-10-2024, 09:11 AM   #8347
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
EXACTLY, which is why I 100% stand behind the actions of the Miami police that removed the Dolphins Tyreek Hill from his car.

Police experience aspects of society most of us are totally unfamiliar with - these videos don’t magically provide the gen population with the realities of why police perceive a threat. Most people don’t have even close to the amount of guts and courage it takes to be out doing police work. But the videos do provide trolls with an opportunity to try an discourage the police from doing their job.
You know what provides me a lot of pleasure? Watching civilians role play active scenarios we deal with every day. They either nut-up & freeze (…and end up shot by rubber bullets), use excessive force that would result in termination, violate civil rights so egregiously that they would ultimately end up incarcerated, or a mixture of all three. It’s a real eye opener for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Wheel locks are basically useless.
Appreciate 4
T0RM3NT4425.00
vreihen1619086.50
      09-10-2024, 03:13 PM   #8348
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Insurance will pay enough for a VERY nice set of quality, aftermarket wheels. They pay dealer price for stock wheel replacement.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      09-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #8349
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
I came here to ask the same question with a different point of view - given the inherent risks faced by LEOs, why do people think they can be dismissive to the point of making a LEO uncertain if they are in danger...

The inmates at the asylum are now making the rules and setting policy...

Think about all the people (mostly young men) being told that Tyreek's behavior is acceptable and the LEOs were at fault...
Wow, no.

Let me break this down for you. (If you have not watched the body cam footage, get on it)

Yes, Tyreek should have already had his window down and not rolled it back up. Yes, Tyreek should not have started with a complaint on banging on his window.

One of the officers even mumbled "That's Tyreek Hill" before the ego maniac cop dragged him out of the car.

However, there is no valid argument for saying the police did not overreact and overstep here. There was no reason to drag him out of the car. No reason to slam him to the ground & jam a knee in his back. Zero reason to come from behind & choke slam him & grab his neck as if you want to strangle him.

If that's not enough for you, Lord help you if it isn't, look at how Calais Campbell & Jonnu Smith were treated. They clearly posed no threat.

I'm guessing you are white base on your response. How can you sit there and say that? Black & Brown people in this country have, sadly, been dealing with this for a long time. Do you know who George Floyd is/was?

What if this was not Tyreek and just a regular citizen? Thankfully, this ended peacefully.

We still have a HUGE problem with racism in this nation and a huge problem with racist power & ego tripping cops on top of that. None of this is ok.

Imagine thinking that type of treatment and behavior by the officers is ok. Wow, God help you.

Furthermore, the other officers there had a duty to DE-ESCALATE the ego trip the extra bad apple was on.They failed to do so.

LE has training in DE-ESCALATION yet this is what they do.

Go spew your racism to the countless black citizens that have dealt with this first hand. I bet you won't. Do better. Be Better.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 06:15 PM   #8350
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Let’s be completely objective and fair in the assessment before allowing emotion to color perspective.

Firstly, we don’t know what his driving behavior was prior to the traffic stop. The article says “speeding”, but based on the number of patrol units that responded, it was probably more like exhibition of speed or reckless driving (…both misdemeanors). Generally speaking, you don’t have that level of response unless the driving behavior warrants it.

Secondly, the act of telling an officer, “Don’t knock on my window like ‘dat!” multiple times, rolling up your window and then refusing to roll it down after repeated lawful orders…..AND THEN telling the officer, “Don’t tell me what to do!”…..escalates ANY traffic stop ANYWHERE in the country. That’s on Hill 100% and you cannot fault the officer for matching that energy. Additionally, Hill didn’t exactly/willfully exit the car when asked. Even I would remove somebody from the car for doing what he did and apply force if necessary. The motorist doesn’t get to dictate the traffic stop and if you were a cop, you wouldn’t allow that either.

One can make an argument regarding the officer’s tone, and to some degree I can understand and align with that sentiment, but when you encounter the behavior Hill exhibited you tend to stop being diplomatic and begin to be very direct/stern. Again, something I have also done.

I think it’s unfair to imply that some misuse/abuse of power or some impropriety would’ve occurred if the teammates (…who did, indeed, disrupt that traffic stop) didn’t arrive on scene. Disobeying lawful orders never works out well for the person failing to comply.

Your perspective will differ from that of somebody who is tasked with the enforcement of laws, and that is understandable. Florida still has very active LEO’s who receive a lot of community support. That’s the wrong state to play games on traffic stops. That behavior might work in certain areas in California or other super blue states, but not in a red state.

….and to answer your question, “Why are we still having problems like this? (Paraphrased)”..

it’s because people exhibit poor behavior. Poor behavior when dealing with law enforcement and poor behavior in general. People are disrespectful and exhibit little accountability for their actions. Hill has a history of domestic violence, child abuse, assault, etc. Let’s not act like we’re dealing with a pillar of society here.
See my post above. If you can remove emotion or feeling from a matter like this, you are not human.

You have to be white. I am too, but I seem to also not be racist & care. Thanks for outing yourself
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 06:17 PM   #8351
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
You know what provides me a lot of pleasure? Watching civilians role play active scenarios we deal with every day. They either nut-up & freeze (…and end up shot by rubber bullets), use excessive force that would result in termination, violate civil rights so egregiously that they would ultimately end up incarcerated, or a mixture of all three. It’s a real eye opener for them.

Wheel locks are basically useless.
We don't need civilians for role playing there. Actual LE does that on a daily basis. If you don't think so, you don't pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 06:18 PM   #8352
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for outing yourself as a racist.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 06:25 PM   #8353
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
On a sad note, the NYC TV news talking heads reported that a firearms instructor at the Essex County NJ police range is in serious condition after what they reported as an accidental discharge earlier this afternoon.....
      09-10-2024, 06:33 PM   #8354
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You have to be white. I am too, but I seem to also not be racist & care. Thanks for outing yourself

rebekahb3178.00
      09-10-2024, 06:56 PM   #8355
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Thanks for outing yourself as a racist.
When you get pulled over and your tint is illegal and you choose to be defiant to a no nonsense police officer by putting your window up after he’s instructed you not to - how much patience do YOU think an officer should have in a state where everyone is legally allowed to carry a firearm? Btw, if you were the officer - would assume a man of Tareek’s age driving a car of that stature and behaving as though he clearly has no respect for police was an upstanding citizen or a thug?

Also - if you were a cop would you treat a defiant individual who was 20 and jacked the same way you would treat a 75 yr old grandma? So was the cop also being ageist and sexist? Or just racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 10:01 PM   #8356
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
When you get pulled over and your tint is illegal and you choose to be defiant to a no nonsense police officer by putting your window up after he’s instructed you not to - how much patience do YOU think an officer should have in a state where everyone is legally allowed to carry a firearm? Btw, if you were the officer - would assume a man of Tareek’s age driving a car of that stature and behaving as though he clearly has no respect for police was an upstanding citizen or a thug?

Also - if you were a cop would you treat a defiant individual who was 20 and jacked the same way you would treat a 75 yr old grandma? So was the cop also being ageist and sexist? Or just racist?
So now Tyreek had a gun? lol smh ignore list for you, clown
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 10:19 PM   #8357
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
See my post above. If you can remove emotion or feeling from a matter like this, you are not human.

Actually I am black, so your assumption is incorrect. So what now since I don’t fit your “must be white” narrative!? Am I a coon? An Uncle Tom? A house negro? You are triggered, too emotional, too immature, and you lack the rationality to truly dissect what was depicted in that body worn camera footage. You were addressed respectfully, yet, your responses to everybody else lacked the very respect you were given. You were quick to attach labels, calling people racist and clown, just because the positions of others differed from yours. That says a lot about who you are as a person.
Appreciate 13
T0RM3NT4425.00
jamesinaz1803.00
Llarry20251.00
vreihen1619086.50
Buug95921300.00
EDMJAY101.50
rebekahb3178.00
Kaizer84108.50
sygazelle12390.50
      09-10-2024, 10:29 PM   #8358
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

However, there is no valid argument for saying the police did not overreact and overstep here. There was no reason to drag him out of the car. No reason to slam him to the ground & jam a knee in his back. Zero reason to come from behind & choke slam him & grab his neck as if you want to strangle him.

If that's not enough for you, Lord help you if it isn't, look at how Calais Campbell & Jonnu Smith were treated. They clearly posed no threat.

I'm guessing you are white base on your response. How can you sit there and say that? Black & Brown people in this country have, sadly, been dealing with this for a long time. Do you know who George Floyd is/was?

What if this was not Tyreek and just a regular citizen? Thankfully, this ended peacefully.

We still have a HUGE problem with racism in this nation and a huge problem with racist power & ego tripping cops on top of that. None of this is ok.

Furthermore, the other officers there had a duty to DE-ESCALATE the ego trip the extra bad apple was on.They failed to do so.

LE has training in DE-ESCALATION yet this is what they do.

Go spew your [...]
Case law allows law enforcement to remove driver’s and/or passengers from a vehicle during a traffic stop. Hill’s behavior led to being removed. He wasn’t slammed to the ground. You’re purposely using exaggerated language to describe the incident.

YOU are not in a position to determine who an officer deems a threat or not. You weren’t on scene. If somebody arrives at my traffic stop and they are friends/family of my suspect, those individuals are ALWAYS deemed to be potential threats. I don’t know their intentions and their disruption is 100% an officer safety issue.

Floyd? Stop it! That’s not even worth addressing.

Again, the behavior of the suspect has a direct correlation with the response of the officer. This isn’t about race. It’s about BEHAVIOR!
Appreciate 6
T0RM3NT4425.00
Llarry20251.00
vreihen1619086.50
Kaizer84108.50
      09-11-2024, 01:34 AM   #8359
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Wow, no.

Let me break this down for you. (If you have not watched the body cam footage, get on it)

Yes, Tyreek should have already had his window down and not rolled it back up. Yes, Tyreek should not have started with a complaint on banging on his window.

One of the officers even mumbled "That's Tyreek Hill" before the ego maniac cop dragged him out of the car.
It appears that you have not seen the same video as I've seen...he had his window down before he got pulled over; he rolled it up before the LEO arrived at the car. I don't hear anyone identifying him before he was on the ground.

Here is a link to the video starting from when he first rolls by the LEOs parked on the street.

You are making up what happened in the encounter to fit the narrative you are pushing...

Quote:
Wow...I don't even...

Last edited by bayarea328xit; 09-11-2024 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan26655.00
jamesinaz1803.00
vreihen1619086.50
      09-11-2024, 01:50 AM   #8360
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
It appears that you have not seen the same video as I've seen...he had his window down before he got pulled over; he rolled it up before the LEO arrived at the car. I don't hear anyone identifying him before he was on the ground.

Here is a link to the video starting from when he first rolls by the LEOs parked on the street.

You are making up what happened in the encounter to fit the narrative you are pushing...
I hadn’t seen that BWC footage, so thank you for posting it. Hill’s behavior was totally uncalled for.
Appreciate 3