BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-22-2024, 01:59 PM   #8273
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
As I've posted several times recently, I'm glad that I was involuntarily retired from the IT field a few weeks ago and don't have to deal with this crap any more.....
After 10 days away, and sleeping like a babe all night long, retirement is getting more and more appealing.

I've had several "offers" to "help me" with my CS issues. CISA is saying that there are far more hackers on its shirttails than actual negative effects.
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      07-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #8274
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
<--- Has a collection of clear plastic CISA business cards, and uses it as an example of government waste.....
      07-25-2024, 09:13 PM   #8275
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Is it a violation to not pull to right when a car comes up behind full lights and sirens?

Not that you have time if you are full code like that, but how often does an ID10t get a citation?
vreihen1619086.50
      07-25-2024, 09:16 PM   #8276
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Is it a violation to not pull to right when a car comes up behind full lights and sirens?

Not that you have time if you are full code like that, but how often does an ID10t get a citation?
Yes, 21806 CVC (…and the relevant subsections) cover that. We don’t often cite for it because we are rolling to a priority or emergent call.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 09:42 PM   #8277
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yes, 21806 CVC (…and the relevant subsections) cover that. We don’t often cite for it because we are rolling to a priority or emergent call.
I was in a dangerous situation last week.

There was a cop who pulled someone over on the shoulder on the 51 in Phoenix. This moron literally almost hit me to get out of the #1 lane...but I was literally in the #2 lane and he would have side swiped me if I didn't move. So should I have anticipated and let him in or should he have just kept going in the #1 lane?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 09:46 PM   #8278
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I was in a dangerous situation last week.

There was a cop who pulled someone over on the shoulder on the 51 in Phoenix. This moron literally almost hit me to get out of the #1 lane...but I was literally in the #2 lane and he would have side swiped me if I didn't move. So should I have anticipated and let him in or should he have just kept going in the #1 lane?
The innermost lane is the #1. The cop had a vehicle pulled over in the center median?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 09:56 PM   #8279
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp

Quote:
The innermost lane is the #1. The cop had a vehicle pulled over in the center median?
I have it mixed up...I thought #1 was all the way right lane...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2024, 12:58 AM   #8280
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I have it mixed up...I thought #1 was all the way right lane...
Yeah, you had it backwards.

Given that clarification, what you’ll often observe from other motorists, especially tractor-trailer drivers, is that they tend to slightly merge into the #2 lane to provide the officer on the shoulder more space. This works well when there’s nobody on the road, but when other vehicles are in the #2 lane, driving behavior like that can potentially cause traffic collisions. I don’t really like conducting traffic stops on the freeway, so I used to order people off of the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2024, 06:35 AM   #8281
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Got a question. Recently noticed police in my area are patrolling the main road in with an unmarked Mustang. It does not have a light bar on the roof only in the grill etc.

How is a driver to know if this is a legit unmarked versus some car jacker?

What should one do if the driver gets out of an unmarked and isn't in uniform?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      07-26-2024, 07:08 AM   #8282
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Got a question. Recently noticed police in my area are patrolling the main road in with an unmarked Mustang. It does not have a light bar on the roof only in the grill etc.

What should one do if the driver gets out of an unmarked and isn't in uniform?
Great question! Unfortunately there isn’t an easy way to know, but what I would do is pull into a public space with CCTV surveillance (…e.g. a gas station) or call the station and tell them you’re being pulled over and the car is unmarked. The station phone lines are all recorded. Provide a description of the vehicle and express that you are unsure if the vehicle is legitimate or not. If the individual is wearing civilian clothing, but is lacking a tactical vest, sufficient identification, etc., I would be suspicious. You can always crack the window and request a Field Sergeant.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2024, 09:29 AM   #8283
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Given that clarification, what you’ll often observe from other motorists, especially tractor-trailer drivers, is that they tend to slightly merge into the #2 lane to provide the officer on the shoulder more space. This works well when there’s nobody on the road, but when other vehicles are in the #2 lane, driving behavior like that can potentially cause traffic collisions.
You don't have move-over laws in California yet?

Most states in these parts require motorists to move left out of the travel lane on a multi-lane highway for emergency vehicles.

New York recently added non-emergency vehicles on the shoulder, such as breakdowns and tow trucks. If a driver cannot vacate the travel lane safely due to traffic, they are expected to slow down as safe as possible while passing the vehicle on the shoulder.

I'm still amazed at how many nuckleheads on that live TV show pull over into the suicide or left turn lane, and cringe watching the trucks blow past the Hazen, Arkansas Police whenever they are on the shoulder for a traffic stop.....
      07-26-2024, 09:43 AM   #8284
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It has been illegal for police in NY State to initiate traffic stops using unmarked vehicles for years now, because of imposter police robbing motorists. They must radio for a marked vehicle to initiate the stop.

I just saw an article this morning in our regional news about the State Police now using "CITE" (Concealed Identity Traffic Enforcement) vehicles.

"The CITE vehicles allow Troopers to more easily identify motorists who are using handheld devices while driving. These vehicles blend in with everyday traffic but are unmistakable as emergency vehicles once the emergency lighting is activated," New York State Police stated.

Other than chameleon paint that makes the logos visible on command and light bars that pop up through the roof, I'd love to know how these "CITE" vehicles suddenly become "unmistakable" when compared to the normal unmarked car that are prohibited from initiating a traffic stop?????
      07-26-2024, 11:44 AM   #8285
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
You don't have move-over laws in California yet?

Most states in these parts require motorists to move left out of the travel lane on a multi-lane highway for emergency vehicles.

New York recently added non-emergency vehicles on the shoulder, such as breakdowns and tow trucks. If a driver cannot vacate the travel lane safely due to traffic, they are expected to slow down as safe as possible while passing the vehicle on the shoulder.

I'm still amazed at how many nuckleheads on that live TV show pull over into the suicide or left turn lane, and cringe watching the trucks blow past the Hazen, Arkansas Police whenever they are on the shoulder for a traffic stop.....
His question wasn’t really regarding that. We have failure to yield to emergency vehicle laws, one of which I already posted (…21806 CVC and its subsections). Vehicles are instructed to move to the right here and the shoulder isn’t really in play.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2024, 01:17 PM   #8286
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
His question wasn’t really regarding that. We have failure to yield to emergency vehicle laws, one of which I already posted (…21806 CVC and its subsections). Vehicles are instructed to move to the right here and the shoulder isn’t really in play.
I think that we're confusing replies. Tyga11's post is what I was referring to, where a driver was moving left out of the travel lane to yield the space to a police officer on the shoulder for a traffic stop.

Per a web search, I see that California does have a move-over law and it may be under CVC 21809.....
      07-26-2024, 04:12 PM   #8287
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I think that we're confusing replies. Tyga11's post is what I was referring to, where a driver was moving left out of the travel lane to yield the space to a police officer on the shoulder for a traffic stop.

Per a web search, I see that California does have a move-over law and it may be under CVC 21809.....
Oh yes, that is true. It’s generally unsafe to do so under most circumstances in Southern California. It’s just too crowded. Some cars will just slow down, others won’t slow down at all. Subsection (1) of that CVC is just a bit unrealistic to implement here, and that’s why an officer/deputy needs to be more cognizant and spatially aware when conducting traffic stops.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      07-26-2024, 08:41 PM   #8288
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Great question! Unfortunately there isn’t an easy way to know, but what I would do is pull into a public space with CCTV surveillance (…e.g. a gas station) or call the station and tell them you’re being pulled over and the car is unmarked. The station phone lines are all recorded. Provide a description of the vehicle and express that you are unsure if the vehicle is legitimate or not. If the individual is wearing civilian clothing, but is lacking a tactical vest, sufficient identification, etc., I would be suspicious. You can always crack the window and request a Field Sergeant.
Thanks. The road in question is 8 miles of - nothing. I might have to drive 7 miles to the nearest place with humans. I guess no perfect solution to this. I worry more for my wife who lacks any spidey senses when something is off.

I think if I get pulled over and the guy isn't in anything like a uniform I'm gonna wave out the window and yell back "I'll meet you at the clubhouse" .

To be honest I have no issue with police patrolling that road. It's 45 MPH and I set cruise control to 53 based on every radar I've ever seen says my car is moving 3 MPH slower than my speedometer. Sometimes I get people up my ass in a hurry and when they do it to my wife she is pretty stressed so good let's keep it to reasonable speed. But not sure I like to unmarked car. There are plenty of spots to park the marked Explorers and catch speeders.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      07-26-2024, 09:08 PM   #8289
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. The road in question is 8 miles of - nothing. I might have to drive 7 miles to the nearest place with humans. I guess no perfect solution to this. I worry more for my wife who lacks any spidey senses when something is off.

I think if I get pulled over and the guy isn't in anything like a uniform I'm gonna wave out the window and yell back "I'll meet you at the clubhouse" .

To be honest I have no issue with police patrolling that road. It's 45 MPH and I set cruise control to 53 based on every radar I've ever seen says my car is moving 3 MPH slower than my speedometer. Sometimes I get people up my ass in a hurry and when they do it to my wife she is pretty stressed so good let's keep it to reasonable speed. But not sure I like to unmarked car. There are plenty of spots to park the marked Explorers and catch speeders.
I totally get it. Definitely tell her to request a Field Sergeant if she’s ever uncomfortable. If the officer/deputy is legitimate, this will not be an issue. Also, if your state is anything like CA, she can always crack the window, provide her state issued driver’s license/vehicle registration/vehicle insurance for the officer/deputy to inspect. If her violation is/was only an infraction, providing those documents and signing the citation through the window opening is sufficient.
Appreciate 2
jamesinaz1803.00
Llarry20252.50
      08-03-2024, 12:05 AM   #8290
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

This is how badly we need officers….

That bonus incentive for lateral officers is nuts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      08-03-2024, 02:04 AM   #8291
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuislam View Post
Great idea! I’m curious—what’s one common misconception people have about your profession? Looking forward to learning more!
Well, that’s a great question in that, the misconceptions fall into two different/distinct categories: “misconceptions held by unreasonable people” and “misconceptions held by reasonable people.

Overwhelmingly, unreasonable people seem to believe that we can know the race/ethnicity/height/weight/sexual orientation/political affiliation/etc. of everybody we pull over……even before we’ve made contact with them. It’s pretty absurd.

One of the more common misconceptions held by reasonable people is the belief that the “thin blueline” means we would cover for bad cops who disgraced the badge and the profession. Nobody wants to work with someone who is a liability. The concept of the blue line has nothing to do with covering up for bad people and everything to do with being the line between chaos and law & order. It’s a thin line!
Appreciate 2
T0RM3NT4425.00
dradernh4810.00
      08-03-2024, 09:35 AM   #8292
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuislam View Post
Great idea! I’m curious—what’s one common misconception people have about your profession? Looking forward to learning more!
      08-03-2024, 12:06 PM   #8293
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Sedan, seen this guy? He's pretty funny...

Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan26655.00
Llarry20252.50
vreihen1619086.50
      08-03-2024, 12:38 PM   #8294
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Sedan, seen this guy? He's pretty funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sJE9MVZ1uo&list=PL3K-k9VI6niLGDCXmsdJxD47qpBjVWAIn&index=1
Yes! He cracks me up. I love the content.
Appreciate 1