BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-04-2023, 09:59 AM   #7415
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I just don’t understand (thank you, Lord) this desire to hurt a woman, your spouse or otherwise. There are a few males I’d like to beat a bit, because of actions they continue to take. And I will defend my castle.
Never once, despite my raging frustration, was bodily harm ever an option
      03-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #7416
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I just don’t understand (thank you, Lord) this desire to hurt a woman, your spouse or otherwise. There are a few males I’d like to beat a bit, because of actions they continue to take. And I will defend my castle.
Proverbs 21:9 might provide an insight.

No, I don't beat my wife of 46+ years, but I sometimes I wish I had a rooftop hideaway.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 03:43 PM   #7417
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Oh this was fun!

I was monitoring traffic at an intersection for 22450(a) CVC violations when I heard screeching tires in the distance. I crept into the mall parking lot and observed a silver '98 Honda Civic HX with milk crates under the two rear tires performing donuts. I lit them up and had every right to tow that car, arrest the driver and make the three passengers walk home. Fortunately I'm in a good mood and I'm tired, so I let them off with a warning for 23109(a) CVC.
Mall parking lots are private property. Does the CVC authorize the police to work all private property or does each property owner have to have an agreement with the local LEOs?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 04:10 PM   #7418
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
To be fair, it is not always the man committing the physical abuse and often the woman knows the right words to say to force an arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Mall parking lots are private property. Does the CVC authorize the police to work all private property or does each property owner have to have an agreement with the local LEOs?
It is a property owner agreement. If it is explicitly posted that the CVC is enforced on the property, everything in the code applies. Many mall parking lots authorize CVC enforcement so vehicles can be towed.
Appreciate 1
Fly320s1561.50
      03-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #7419
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
To be fair, it is not always the man committing the physical abuse and often the woman knows the right words to say to force an arrest.

It is a property owner agreement. If it is explicitly posted that the CVC is enforced on the property, everything in the code applies. Many mall parking lots authorize CVC enforcement so vehicles can be towed.
Today I learned. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26675.00
      03-04-2023, 04:54 PM   #7420
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Today I learned. Thanks for the info.
Any time! Now you'll enter parking lots and begin to notice the signs attached to light poles, etc. mentioning the CVC is enforced on the premises. It'll be like a whole new world.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 06:18 PM   #7421
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Any time! Now you'll enter parking lots and begin to notice the signs attached to light poles, etc. mentioning the CVC is enforced on the premises. It'll be like a whole new world.
I don't get to the CA much these days, and I drive there even less.

I do wonder if the signs around here that say "Police take notice" have a similar law enforcement effect.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 07:47 PM   #7422
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I don't get to the CA much these days, and I drive there even less.

I do wonder if the signs around here that say "Police take notice" have a similar law enforcement effect.
It's possible. I would expect it to be explicit, but that's only because California is the legislate-you-to-death state.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 04:21 PM   #7423
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Just out of curiosity - how do you classify this kind of young person? Someone who has grown up in the system and belongs there? Or someone who needs adult intervention and therapy/rehab/anger management?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 04:38 PM   #7424
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Murf the Surf

Have a Canadian question - those yellow speed limit signs on onramps and offramps that are marked say 40km/h or 60km/h....someone once told me that the yellow means they aren't enforceable like the white background speed limit signs on roadways / highways.

I'm a little suspect of that explanation, but admittedly, the suggested speed limits are ridiculously low so maybe there is some truth to it?
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 04:59 PM   #7425
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Just out of curiosity - how do you classify this kind of young person? Someone who has grown up in the system and belongs there? Or someone who needs adult intervention and therapy/rehab/anger management?

I applaud the officers and how they handled this situation with this young man. He obviously has some severe anger issues and needs some help. Much respect to the officers .
      03-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #7426
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Murf the Surf

Have a Canadian question - those yellow speed limit signs on onramps and offramps that are marked say 40km/h or 60km/h....someone once told me that the yellow means they aren't enforceable like the white background speed limit signs on roadways / highways.

I'm a little suspect of that explanation, but admittedly, the suggested speed limits are ridiculously low so maybe there is some truth to it?
The yellow signs on ramps etc are recommended speeds not enforced.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 07:00 PM   #7427
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I lived in Amherst, NH in the late-90s and found enforcement was what some might call strict. When I wanted to engage in winter car control exercises outside of organized events, I chose back roads rather than the Walmart parking lot on 101A.
      03-08-2023, 11:01 PM   #7428
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Sedan, you safe tonight?
Heard 3 got shot in LA somewhere
      03-09-2023, 03:27 AM   #7429
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Sedan, you safe tonight?
Heard 3 got shot in LA somewhere
Thankfully yes! It was LAPD that was dealt the blow tonight. The three officers are stable.
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34190.00
      03-09-2023, 03:44 AM   #7430
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

I classify him as someone whose mouth is bigger than their capabilities (…the typical street hoodlum tactic; talk big because it scares off the average person). He’s no more or less angry than the common street thugs we deal with daily.

The tactics depicted in that video make me cringe. At 2:57-ish, the officer simply walks away from a volatile person who hasn’t been searched, giving up tactical ground and potentially allowing the driver/suspect to more easily arm himself. At 4:58-ish the officer has ZERO control of that suspect. I can’t believe modern officers still conduct pat downs without any physical control. Interestingly, at 6:32 the suspect says, “When I get out of these cuffs, what’chu gonna do?!?,” but the entire time he wasn’t cuffed and he wasn’t physically controlled by officers he didn’t do a thing. At 8:37 it was more of the same; empty threats. I see that behavior all of the time as well. Intervention will not help him. He’s a spawn of the streets.
Appreciate 3
      03-09-2023, 05:35 AM   #7431
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Man I love this thread - very interesting insight Sedan - thank you, fascinating breakdown.

I'm sure you noticed the tesla squad car, thought that was interesting - symbolic maybe that it's an affluent area I reckon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26675.00
      03-09-2023, 06:44 AM   #7432
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I classify him as someone whose mouth is bigger than their capabilities (…the typical street hoodlum tactic; talk big because it scares off the average person). He’s no more or less angry than the common street thugs we deal with daily.

The tactics depicted in that video make me cringe. At 2:57-ish, the officer simply walks away from a volatile person who hasn’t been searched, giving up tactical ground and potentially allowing the driver/suspect to more easily arm himself. At 4:58-ish the officer has ZERO control of that suspect. I can’t believe modern officers still conduct pat downs without any physical control. Interestingly, at 6:32 the suspect says, “When I get out of these cuffs, what’chu gonna do?!?,” but the entire time he wasn’t cuffed and he wasn’t physically controlled by officers he didn’t do a thing. At 8:37 it was more of the same; empty threats. I see that behavior all of the time as well. Intervention will not help him. He’s a spawn of the streets.
There's a saying for those types over here, all mouth and no trousers
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan26675.00
Buug95921439.50
      03-09-2023, 11:32 AM   #7433
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Man I love this thread - very interesting insight Sedan - thank you, fascinating breakdown.

I'm sure you noticed the tesla squad car, thought that was interesting - symbolic maybe that it's an affluent area I reckon?
Any time!

Another thing……as it pertains to physical control, suspects can feel weakness; we all can. When we place our hands on someone with purpose, it is felt and it sends a clear message to the person we’re detaining. When you don’t send that message, suspects view that as an opportunity to engage and get the upper hand. That is a bad place to be in if you’re the officer; the suspect knows what he/she will do long before we do. As law enforcement, we are always on the back foot; completely reactionary. The best thing we can do is control certain aspects of the environment as best we can.

Yes, I noticed the TESLA squad car (…we have a few demo cars like that on my department, too), but I reckon the Sergeant on scene was the individual driving that vehicle. The Sergeant isn’t on the line and was called out because of the uncooperative suspect. EV’s will not survive as patrol vehicles. There’s just no feasible way to do it. They lack the capability to be driven almost non-stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
There's a saying for those types over here, all mouth and no trousers

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-09-2023 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2023, 12:00 PM   #7434
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Local BMW dealer gave our department an X3 poser. I offered to race the chief (in controlled surroundings, of course) when wife had her X3. He couldn't put up the pink, since it was some sort of loan program I further offered to just drive it around the block once in a while, free up the brake rotors. I don't think it has ever left the parking lot. Maybe a senior citizen B-day parade, ONCE.
      03-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #7435
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

I have a shady neighbor. He gets cars, puts out of date plates on them, has them a while, and then they disappear.

He seems to be keeping one of them and has the plates from one of his registered cars on this other car (a fairly new Carrera S Cabriolet). So, to be clear, he has a valid plate that he is running on two different cars for some reason. The valid plate goes to a Jeep and not the Porsche.

Neighbors are getting worked up about it and I'm not sure what to tell them. So I ask here: Is this something that the local police should be made aware of? I'm guessing he's avoiding property tax; neighbors worried that the vehicle is stolen.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #7436
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
I have a shady neighbor. He gets cars, puts out of date plates on them, has them a while, and then they disappear.

He seems to be keeping one of them and has the plates from one of his registered cars on this other car (a fairly new Carrera S Cabriolet). So, to be clear, he has a valid plate that he is running on two different cars for some reason. The valid plate goes to a Jeep and not the Porsche.

Neighbors are getting worked up about it and I'm not sure what to tell them. So I ask here: Is this something that the local police should be made aware of? I'm guessing he's avoiding property tax; neighbors worried that the vehicle is stolen.
Sounds like he's avoiding registration/licensing fees and maybe insurance. Cars could be stolen, or plates. Not sure why you think property tax issue maybe things are different in the US regarding that.

It wasn't uncommon to see people screwing around with licence plates that were either stolen or the car was.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26675.00