BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-26-2024, 01:11 PM   #45
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
So like a massive 2 seater? We have something like this. Ours is a sectional but very similar design.

https://www.roomstogo.com/furniture/...eseat/15219000
I wouldn't call it massive. What we have now is a power 2 seater. It's about 86" width. Not a sectional
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 01:48 PM   #46
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Why are most sofas 3 seaters with the center section not reclining vs 2 seater with both side reclining?

As much as we liked the Stressless sofa we sat on, just can't swallow a $6k pill for a sofa
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2024, 06:53 AM   #47
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

We just ordered a new leather sectional from Bassett to replace our 17 year old Thomasville. Paid 3x what we paid for the Thomasville 17 years ago, but that Thomasville was on a 1/2 off floor model sale (but they sent a new one, not the floor model so best furniture purchase ever). Take out sale pricing now and then and it was more like 2x. I guess that makes sense but very, very expensive ($12K), at least to me. However, I think you get what you pay for and after considering going cheap, we figured we would end up replacing anything of lesser quality a lot sooner and then be back in the market sooner for more price increases, so we got something we wanted of (what we think is) very high quaity.

Some trends I noticed are that furntiure seems to be getting smaller - for example, less depth to sofa cushions and lower backs - and lower to the ground, neither one of which work for me. Quality is also lower in most places, including Ethan Allen where most of our furniture was purchased 20+ years ago. Pottery Barn offers zero warranty on their $8K sectionals or any furniture. Glad we checked out Bassett and wish we checked them out when furnishing our Asheville condo.
Donatello.1231.50
      07-09-2024, 06:55 AM   #48
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
No, a 2 seater.
We went from a two seater to a three seater but weren't in the market for reclining so didn't matter to us. Two seaters seem to be rare finds nowadays, at least for sectionals in the size we wanted.
      07-09-2024, 04:48 PM   #49
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i, 2024 GLC300

It’s a PITA because two people have to agree on the selection. 😵*💫

Expert ultracrepidarian
Appreciate 1
RickFLM411557.00
      07-09-2024, 06:29 PM   #50
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I am sure that is true for some, but not this case.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2024, 06:52 PM   #51
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
We're extremely fortunate that this has never been a major issue for us. This is because the wife accepted that I was much more invested in this aspect of our home life than she was ever going to be.

After buying our first home in the late 1980s, we began buying furniture designed and built to last indefinitely. The pieces were expensive at the time, and they've proven to have been both excellent value and very enjoyable to live with during the intervening decades. Their cost-per-year has turned out to be quite moderate.
vreihen1619359.00
      07-10-2024, 06:27 PM   #52
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
We're extremely fortunate that this has never been a major issue for us. This is because the wife accepted that I was much more invested in this aspect of our home life than she was ever going to be.

After buying our first home in the late 1980s, we began buying furniture designed and built to last indefinitely. The pieces were expensive at the time, and they've proven to have been both excellent value and very enjoyable to live with during the intervening decades. Their cost-per-year has turned out to be quite moderate.
So what companies are you buying from? Sounds like a weird flex without info helpful to the point of the thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2024, 06:29 PM   #53
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I haven't read this whole thread, but in a nutshell, it's because she can't make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2024, 07:06 PM   #54
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, but in a nutshell, it's because she can't make a decision.
Tell us how you are just trying to troll.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2024, 11:17 PM   #55
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Tell us how you are just trying to troll.

No, I'm serious. My wife spent over 5 years looking for a couch before she decided just to reupholster the old couch. We spent hours at different furniture stores. Took us (her) 15 years to decide on replacing some carpet.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 07:44 AM   #56
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
So what companies are you buying from? Sounds like a weird flex without info helpful to the point of the thread.
McGuire and a San Francisco designer furniture store. The last of those pieces was acquired in 1995. Both outfits are long since out of business.

You're right - not relevant to your original post.
      07-11-2024, 09:52 AM   #57
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
My wife spent over 5 years looking for a couch before she decided just to reupholster the old couch.
My DW has been looking for just the right pickup truck tailgate for five years now...to make a new headboard for the master bedroom when we build the Garage Mahal.

I've also seen her eyeing up my Formula Vee race car engine to make a coffee table:

RickFLM411557.00
Donatello.1231.50
      07-11-2024, 09:56 AM   #58
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
You're right - not relevant to your original post.
Sure it is, you're suggesting that the $6K may be worth it if it last 20+ years and doesn't go to shit in 5 years like most furniture does. Relevant suggestion IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 10:57 AM   #59
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My DW has been looking for just the right pickup truck tailgate for five years now...to make a new headboard for the master bedroom when we build the Garage Mahal.

I've also seen her eyeing up my Formula Vee race car engine to make a coffee table:

Watch your toes when walking by it.
vreihen1619359.00
      07-11-2024, 05:28 PM   #60
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
No, I'm serious. My wife spent over 5 years looking for a couch before she decided just to reupholster the old couch. We spent hours at different furniture stores. Took us (her) 15 years to decide on replacing some carpet.
Thankfully, my wife is not a problem in this situation. I'm actually more picky than her with what sofa we get. SHe wants to get it over with & buy 1 of the ones we liked, but were not the right fit overall. I want to buy and not regret what we buy. We both don't have the best lower backs. Current sofa sucks for both our backs

Maybe we should just drop the $6k or whatever it was on a Stressless...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 06:03 PM   #61
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thankfully, my wife is not a problem in this situation. I'm actually more picky than her with what sofa we get. SHe wants to get it over with & buy 1 of the ones we liked, but were not the right fit overall. I want to buy and not regret what we buy. We both don't have the best lower backs. Current sofa sucks for both our backs

Maybe we should just drop the $6k or whatever it was on a Stressless...
Just buy the one you want. $6K isn’t crazy if it is high quality and lasts.
      07-11-2024, 06:08 PM   #62
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Just buy the one you want. $6K isn’t crazy if it is high quality and lasts.
I've just read a lot of negative reviews on Stressless for the money you spend so I am still at square one lol
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 12:23 PM   #63
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
OK so VERY relevant to my experience. My wife is super impatient with new purchases, just wants it done, i am far pickier.

I despise our current couch. It is a modern, L shape, light grey fabric 5 seater. Initially when i sat on it in the store I liked it because it is not super low like 90pc of couches and the cushions quite firm so I can sit ON it not IN it.

Now this was after weeks of looking so my wife was getting seriously pissed but I did raise a concern that the back of said couch are pillows, not a regular foam built into the backing jobbie. I said, look I think this feels great now but the large pillow thingies will deform and look shite quickly. Wife had enough and we bought it.

It looks great but yes, back pillows cushions are super deformed, so the edges of the pillows push out and basically try to dump you on the fucking floor. I hate it and hate that I buckled.

Here's something similar to ours so you can see what I mean by pillows, our does not have the open end chaise.

Appreciate 2
Donatello.1231.50
RickFLM411557.00
      07-12-2024, 05:08 PM   #64
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
OK so VERY relevant to my experience. My wife is super impatient with new purchases, just wants it done, i am far pickier.

I despise our current couch. It is a modern, L shape, light grey fabric 5 seater. Initially when i sat on it in the store I liked it because it is not super low like 90pc of couches and the cushions quite firm so I can sit ON it not IN it.

Now this was after weeks of looking so my wife was getting seriously pissed but I did raise a concern that the back of said couch are pillows, not a regular foam built into the backing jobbie. I said, look I think this feels great now but the large pillow thingies will deform and look shite quickly. Wife had enough and we bought it.

It looks great but yes, back pillows cushions are super deformed, so the edges of the pillows push out and basically try to dump you on the fucking floor. I hate it and hate that I buckled.

Here's something similar to ours so you can see what I mean by pillows, our does not have the open end chaise.
I am right there with you. Our couch cushions are also sagging. Especially where I always sit lol. It looks terrible.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 05:47 PM   #65
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am right there with you. Our couch cushions are also sagging. Especially where I always sit lol. It looks terrible.
Our current sectional lasted 17 years and now has a book under the spot where I sit to prop it up because it broke. But 17 years is a helluva run and if it weren't that old, I would have looked into having it repaired.

The sectional we ordered has additional reinforced springs so it is supposed to be resistant to sagging. Also got to choose between four levels of firmness in the cushions and all cushions are zippered so filling can be replaced down the road if we so wish. The leather we chose is supposed to be scratch resistant. The depth and height of the sofa seat fit me (6'4") well and seemed like the exception compared to most of the sofa's on the market that have my knees stick out from the sofa seat and too high relative to my seating position. I also like that the back height makes it above my shoulders and is angled to be more upright than slanted back in a way that makes me lean forward. (I know your needs are different as you are looking for a recliner. We don't have room in our family room for reclining, although if we were willing to buy a new coffee table, they are available on casters nowadays.) All components (frame, springs, cushion) have a 7-year warranty.

All that is to say, you get what you pay for and sometimes waiting a month or two for something custom ordered to fit your needs is what you need to do rather than looking for something standard, in stock and ready to go.
Donatello.1231.50
      07-12-2024, 06:49 PM   #66
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Our current sectional lasted 17 years and now has a book under the spot where I sit to prop it up because it broke. But 17 years is a helluva run and if it weren't that old, I would have looked into having it repaired.

The sectional we ordered has additional reinforced springs so it is supposed to be resistant to sagging. Also got to choose between four levels of firmness in the cushions and all cushions are zippered so filling can be replaced down the road if we so wish. The leather we chose is supposed to be scratch resistant. The depth and height of the sofa seat fit me (6'4") well and seemed like the exception compared to most of the sofa's on the market that have my knees stick out from the sofa seat and too high relative to my seating position. I also like that the back height makes it above my shoulders and is angled to be more upright than slanted back in a way that makes me lean forward. (I know your needs are different as you are looking for a recliner. We don't have room in our family room for reclining, although if we were willing to buy a new coffee table, they are available on casters nowadays.) All components (frame, springs, cushion) have a 7-year warranty.

All that is to say, you get what you pay for and sometimes waiting a month or two for something custom ordered to fit your needs is what you need to do rather than looking for something standard, in stock and ready to go.
Any suggestions on which custom manufacturers to contact? I'm in PA if it matters.
Appreciate 0