BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #45
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
Ok, how about the 2nd or 3rd time he's empty? At that point it wasn't "fight or flight" it was "fight or wait your turn". It had to be obvious that he wasn't going to stop.

And it's unfortunate that no one else was armed. They could have potentially minimized the damage. I always have my handgun with me unless I'm going somewhere that doesn't allow it.
You realize it doesn't take long to reload a semi-auto handgun right?

Now I get what you're saying, if you're given the absolute option of fighting and maybe dying or do nothing and definitely dying then resisting is the dominant strategy but those aren't the only two options. Notice "only" 9 people were killed.

Coupled with the fact that when you're terrified and caught off guard, you probably don't have the wherewithal to cautiously take cover, get close enough to quickly counter, and wait for him to reload. Plus given the area, it may have been wide open enough so that it would be very difficult to get close enough without making yourself a wide open target.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #46
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
Ironically, some of the most socially responsible acts (where legal) would be to get professional training with a recognized school, being armed (always), and living in condition yellow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

Now I get what you're saying, if you're given the absolute option of fighting and maybe dying or do nothing and definitely dying then resisting is the dominant strategy but those aren't the only two options. Notice "only" 9 people were killed.

Coupled with the fact that when you're terrified and caught off guard, you probably don't have the wherewithal to cautiously take cover, get close enough to quickly counter, and wait for him to reload. Plus given the area, it may have been wide open enough so that it would be very difficult to get close enough without making yourself a wide open target.
Everyone's best defensive weapon is situational awareness.

But every situation is different. The one commonality is that most of these people make many mistakes when perpetrating these cowardly acts. And if you've at least thought about the situation happening and asked yourself what you'd do, formulate a mental plan of sorts, you'll be far better equipped to act, what ever that act may be. If you're not in a position to offer direct resistance, the best thing you can do is evacuate the premises and help people along the way who are having difficulties. If you're close enough to take action, that action may save lives.

And you're correct, life isn't the movies. Which means you don't have to be an ex Marine force-recon / Navy SEAL / Air Force Para-rescuemen / Green Beret to neutralize a threat. I think police statistics have shown that once any opposition is felt by the cowardly gunman, the shooting incident usually ends right then.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 06-18-2015 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #47
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
...and parent's are in part, responsible.
From CNN: "A senior law enforcement source told CNN the suspect's father had recently bought him a .45-caliber gun for his 21st birthday in April."

Happy Fathers day, buddy.
      06-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #48
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
From CNN: "A senior law enforcement source told CNN the suspect's father had recently bought him a .45-caliber gun for his 21st birthday in April."

Imagine living with that shit for the rest of your life? Assuming he cares....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #49
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Judging by the kids haircut alone I can tell that this is a family that gives 0 fucks.
Appreciate 3
      06-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #50
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Ok, how about the 2nd or 3rd time he's empty? At that point it wasn't "fight or flight" it was "fight or wait your turn". It had to be obvious that he wasn't going to stop.

And it's unfortunate that no one else was armed. They could have potentially minimized the damage. I always have my handgun with me unless I'm going somewhere that doesn't allow it.
People often attend church with family. If I was at church and this happened, I'd lay on top of my family in order to protect them. I wouldn't start running (anywhere) and leave them alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #51
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
While that purchase may have been the last parenting mistake he made, I'd bet it was hardly the first, especially if his kid got the point where he felt that all black people "have to go". Just watch, the dad will claim he had no idea the kid felt that way.
      06-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #52
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
If I was at church and this happened, I'd lay on top of my family in order to protect them.
I'd give Opie a few reasons why it's a bad idea to try and shoot people...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #53
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
People often attend church with family. If I was at church and this happened, I'd lay on top of my family in order to protect them. I wouldn't start running (anywhere) and leave them alone.
Your heart is in the right place but it's hard to say how your family would react. Your going from peaceful/uneventful to full blown chaos in a split second. It is hard for the mind to grasp that and everyone reacts differently. For all you know by the time you turn to your family they might be already in full B line sprint for an exit. Unless you rehearsed and practiced the scenario it would be very hard to say how your family would react. Hence this is why the military constantly holds drills and training exercises. This is done in order to develop muscle memory so you react instinctively to chaotic situations.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #54
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

First, it is a tragedy. One of the worst place for crazies to commit a crime.

Some trained person under stress can speed reload within workspace at around <2.5 second. I agree that it was truly unfortunate that no one was armed to defend against this mad man.

I agree with MrTonka. I do pack at church as well. but last thing I want to do is wear a plate carrier + carry a PDW to place of worship.
Some sheepie think people excessively train are nutjobs. It is not true. Some are just getting trained and shaping them to prepare the crazy stuff which is happening at a place that it should not.

When I was in elementary and middle school, I absolutely hated the fire drills. Now, we do firedrills at home+retrain how to use the fire extinguisher. When fire did happen, people tend to lose majority of motor skills.

Who knows? we are just speculating. Tackling the bad guy during reload is brave and common sense. However, what if other scenario bad guy had a BUG and can transition faster than the reload?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Kids are all kinds of messed up these days. Our society has dealt them difficult hands and i'm glad i didn't grow up and later than i did.

People still ask why I carry in church. Because hate knows no bounds.
Quote:
To your point, most people who are doing this haven't necessary trained for it. They may have gone to the shooting range, they may be proficient with a weapon, but chances are they have never carried out any killings prior to their snapping point. They also can be so intently focused on their evil plan that they may be affected by tunnel vision while in the act. Because of these things coupled with the likelihood of these people having a cowardly character, a direct action against them tends to end the ordeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

Quote:
Everyone's best defensive weapon is situational awareness.

But every situation is different. The one commonality is that most of these people make many mistakes when perpetrating these cowardly acts. And if you've at least thought about the situation happening and asked yourself what you'd do, formulate a mental plan of sorts, you'll be far better equipped to act, what ever that act may be. If you're not in a position to offer direct resistance, the best thing you can do is evacuate the premises and help people along the way who are having difficulties. If you're close enough to take action, that action may save lives.

And you're correct, life isn't the movies. Which means you don't have to be an ex Marine force-recon / Navy SEAL / Air Force Para-rescuemen / Green Beret to neutralize a threat. I think police statistics have shown that once any opposition is felt by the cowardly gunman, the shooting incident usually ends right then.
      06-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #55
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
However, what if other scenario bad guy had a BUG and can transition faster than the reload?
Might be a good thing to practice your reloads (safely) tonight

Might be safe to assume these nutjobs aren't going to be trained, let alone have a BUG.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #56
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
This is the infuriating horseshit that I can't stand here!!! I am confident that if we inacted "public torture and execution" for heinous and violent crimes such as this, a vast majority would cease! Your thoughts?
The BS Judicial system.

I don't think it will cease completely. It will still go on but at a much lesser rate. However, i'm still in favor of your idea.
      06-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #57
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Most likely. I am just speculating it can happen. who knows. Statistically from recent crazy incidents, Holmes and Cho was ones that I can remember who had secondary.

Most likey not tonight. I have wrists and fingers all inflammated.
BTW, if I may ask, Are you a calgu_ member as well? Looks like you are from CA.

Quote:
Might be a good thing to practice your reloads (safely) tonight

Might be safe to assume these nutjobs aren't going to be trained, let alone have a BUG.
      06-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #58
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post

I'd be cautious with what CNN - or any other media - reports the first few hours... or even days. Remember "hands up don't shoot"?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #59
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Statistically from recent crazy incidents, Holmes and Cho was ones that I can remember who had secondary.
Yes...and so did Dorner.

Quote:
BTW, if I may ask, Are you a calgu_ member as well?
Nope.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #60
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
Rep
Drives: '22 GR Z4 Coup '06 Z4M Rdster

No death penalty ,
Killing someone as punishment for murder is stupid
It's wrong to murder so we gona murder you to prove our point......
He should get life in a 6x6 box with no windows and 22 hour lockdown with zero access to any human contact
Feed him with a tray lowered by a robot into his cell and his doors open to a hallway for showers and a small recreation yard.
He can think about his actions for the next 50+ yrs
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #61
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
No death penalty ,
He should get life in a 6x6 box with no windows and 22 hour lockdown with zero access to any human contact
Feed him with a tray lowered by a robot into his cell and his doors open to a hallway for showers and a small recreation yard.
i'm not paying for that shit. kill this feller asap.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #62
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Quote:
Terrorist is the wrong word here, as I doubt he had political aims. I think "deranged racist gunman" is more appropriate.
are u F'ing serious? This shitbag is a terrorist, he terrorized and killed people right? or is that just because he's white he isnt a terrorist?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #63
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
No death penalty ,
Yeah, that punishes him, but it still doesnt really benefit society. Taxpayers are footing the bill for those trays of food for the next 50+ years.

Nothing can bring those innocent people back, and frankly I dont believe that killing a killer provides a deterrent to those who planned to take themselves out at the end of their mass rampage either. However, that doesn't mean that some good cant come out of removing these people from society.

I'd rather see these folks used for scientific testing. Don't harm helpless animals when testing cosmetics or household cleaners, use these people. You'll get much better data.

Crash test dummies: they have come a long way, but still not as good as a real live person... strap the guy up with a million sensors, disable the airbag, and ram that sled into a wall at 60mph. The relevant data from that can be used to make changes that save countless lives going forward, in ways that even the most advanced crash test dummy cannot properly simulate.
      06-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #64
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

^ yes, he would be perfect for Immunology/Virology depeartment or CDC/NIH BSL4 area.
      06-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #65
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Study the every corner of this guys mind and life,one day science can prevent crazy of this magnitude.
I believe this guy is a reflection of society and reality in the worst way as every behaviour he has displayed was learned,who knows why he did what he did but the best thing is to try and understand and try to prevent this from happening again......although I doubt that will be anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 10:26 PM   #66
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawwadh View Post
are u F'ing serious? This shitbag is a terrorist, he terrorized and killed people right? or is that just because he's white he isnt a terrorist?
No need for rudeness. If it was a black guy who walked into a church and killed nine white people I wouldn't call him a terrorist either.
Appreciate 0