BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #6095
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

BIG news!!! HUGE win for the 2A community. The United States Supreme Court just ruled against New York's gun rights law…..and in favor of the 2A; 6-to-3 with Thomas writing the majority opinion. This will affect California, Maryland, Hawaii and about five additional states that restrict the rights of U.S. citizens.
Appreciate 8
jmack548.50
vreihen1619113.00
Todd0131379.50
paquet631.50
Reborn_302.50
      06-23-2022, 10:04 AM   #6096
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
BIG news!!! HUGE win for the 2A community. The United States Supreme Court just ruled against New York's gun rights law…..and in favor of the 2A; 6-to-3 with Thomas writing the dissent. This will affect California, Maryland, Hawaii and about five additional states that restrict the rights of U.S. citizens.
SHALL issue CCW??????
      06-23-2022, 10:04 AM   #6097
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
BIG news!!! HUGE win for the 2A community. The United States Supreme Court just ruled against New York's gun rights law…..and in favor of the 2A; 6-to-3 with Thomas writing the dissent. This will affect California, Maryland, Hawaii and about five additional states that restrict the rights of U.S. citizens.
SHALL issue CCW??????
Yep!!!!!! Protection and power to the law abiding people who shouldn't have been restricted in the first place.
Appreciate 3
      06-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #6098
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep!!!!!! Protection and power to the law abiding people who shouldn't have been restricted in the first place.
Hmm. My dad bought a life insurance policy with Knights of Columbus in 1958 for $1000. My 3 brothers/I completed the request and it's been approved, so distribution should have happened yesterday, and I'll get 1/4 of about $7800. I was looking for something to extinguish the fire in my pocket, . . . pew-pew!

Either that or the six-pack trip for my grandniece who just graduated HS.
      06-23-2022, 10:41 AM   #6099
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Hmm. My dad bought a life insurance policy with Knights of Columbus in 1958 for $1000. My 3 brothers/I completed the request and it's been approved, so distribution should have happened yesterday, and I'll get 1/4 of about $7800. I was looking for something to extinguish the fire in my pocket, . . . pew-pew!

Either that or the six-pack trip for my grandniece who just graduated HS.
Get the pew-pew and a six-pack to drink after the shooting concludes. That's money well spent.

I'm awaiting a payout from my father's estate that will put about $35k in my pocket. I plan to pay off the Ducati, pay off the Corolla and buy either the OEM GT3 duckbill, the Moshammer duckbill or the OEM AeroKit wing for the 992. I think the OEM AeroKit wing is the cheapest at around $1900 and the OEM GT3 duckbill is about $7k. The Moshammer is $2200 I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #6100
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Get the pew-pew and a six-pack to drink after the shooting concludes. That's money well spent.
Will be sure to run this idea by the wife, see if she approves of me spending my $$ in such a fashion

It has been a while since I went fishing though, and the grandniece is such a tomboy. Tug is the drug!
      06-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #6101
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Wow! Thankfully that officer was paying attention. At that distance the man with the axe could still get to the officer even after taking a few rounds.
Way too close to be dealing with an edged weapon, I'm not being critical of the copper, his reaction time was impressive.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26667.00
      06-23-2022, 01:56 PM   #6102
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I'm so excited that I feel like popping off 7 rounds in the back yard to celebrate! (Just kidding.)

Seriously though, I need to see what the ruling actually says before I celebrate. NY State and NYC have two different sets of permitting standards. My state permit is not valid in NYC, and theirs have no reciprocity in the state. I'm sure that the response from Albany will be to lower the capacity from 7 to 1 round, and also throw some mandatory insurance or training in to start another round of court cases.....
      06-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #6103
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
I'm so excited that I feel like popping off 7 rounds in the back yard to celebrate! (Just kidding.)

Seriously though, I need to see what the ruling actually says before I celebrate. NY State and NYC have two different sets of permitting standards. My state permit is not valid in NYC, and theirs have no reciprocity in the state. I'm sure that the response from Albany will be to lower the capacity from 7 to 1 round, and also throw some mandatory insurance or training in to start another round of court cases.....
Well the USSC is the reigning law of the land. Once they rule, that's it!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 02:31 PM   #6104
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would think that you as a LEO would have enough time in court to know how the game works. Someone gets a case before the USSC, they make a generalistic ruling, the states make new restrictions within the court-provided guidelines, and the whole process starts all over again. Unless the ruling says that they cannot require expensive insurance or limit capacity to one round like a musket, there's nothing to celebrate IMHO.

Speaking of LEO and courts, have you ever had to spend days sitting in a court waiting room waiting to testify at a single trial? I was the second witness to be called in a 1st degree murder trial a few days ago. The defendant is apparently playing games to drag the trial on, and a good percentage of our small town's police force has been sitting in the waiting room for three days now waiting for their turns to take the witness stand.....
      06-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #6105
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would think that you as a LEO would have enough time in court to know how the game works. Someone gets a case before the USSC, they make a generalistic ruling, the states make new restrictions within the court-provided guidelines, and the whole process starts all over again. Unless the ruling says that they cannot require expensive insurance or limit capacity to one round like a musket, there's nothing to celebrate IMHO.

Speaking of LEO and courts, have you ever had to spend days sitting in a court waiting room waiting to testify at a single trial? I was the second witness to be called in a 1st degree murder trial a few days ago. The defendant is apparently playing games to drag the trial on, and a good percentage of our small town's police force has been sitting in the waiting room for three days now waiting for their turns to take the witness stand.....
I get that things can get tied up in litigation or governments seeking loopholes and/or finding ways to add constraints to the process. I'm speaking generally, however. I think the 1-round example is a stretch………forum theater (), so I didn't give it much weight in my reply. This ruling IS a signal. It's a win in the face of all of the ridiculous anti-gun legislation that politicians are attempting to pass. Will a 750th gun law really do anything?! Absolutely not. It's all grandstanding!

With reference to your court inquiry….

…..unless it's a major trial, we are usually on-call unless we are absolutely needed. We receive O.T. for being on-call regardless of whether we are called in or not (…ex: if I am off work but on-call at 0830 hours and I'm never called in, I receive 8 hours of O.T. for the full day). Easy money.

P.S. It would behoove any/every citizen to purchase CCW insurance if they are going to carry a gun. It's equivalent to the cost of a large pepperoni pizza per month. For the litigation assistance, bail assistance, etc….it's a no-brainer.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619113.00
      06-23-2022, 03:10 PM   #6106
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's actually a bigger trial than the "Alice's Restaurant Massacre" for our small town's police force. Everyone from the police officer's station is there, from the chief down. I look at that waste of man-hours, and remember that we didn't even have 24/7 town police coverage not that long ago. There was also a state trooper there who said to me in the hallway that he was getting tired of waiting because he had stuff that needed to be done back at the barracks.....
      06-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #6107
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
It's actually a bigger trial than the "Alice's Restaurant Massacre" for our small town's police force. Everyone from the police officer's station is there, from the chief down. I look at that waste of man-hours, and remember that we didn't even have 24/7 town police coverage not that long ago. There was also a state trooper there who said to me in the hallway that he was getting tired of waiting because he had stuff that needed to be done back at the barracks.....
I am surprised your D.D.A.'s don't place everybody on-call. It would be a better way to allocate the time.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619113.00
      06-23-2022, 08:52 PM   #6108
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am surprised your D.D.A.'s don't place everybody on-call. It would be a better way to allocate the time.
The defendant is even pissing his own attorney off with all of the stalling and delays. The DA's witness schedule is already blown to bits, and I got the impression from hallway conversations that the judge wants this 2+ week case wrapped up before the July 4th holiday weekend. They don't want any delays for witnesses to travel from on-call.....
      06-23-2022, 08:55 PM   #6109
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The defendant is even pissing his own attorney off with all of the stalling and delays. The DA's witness schedule is already blown to bits, and I got the impression from hallway conversations that the judge wants this 2+ week case wrapped up before the July 4th holiday weekend. They don't want any delays for witnesses to travel from on-call.....
It sounds like a mess. I would be incredibly annoyed.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619113.00
      06-24-2022, 12:46 AM   #6110
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I was fortunate enough to not be selected for jury duty on a murder trial by one gang banger of another gang banger. They did tell us it would be a 6 week trial with lots of witnesses.

I answered the questionaire honestly and they wanted nothing to do with me. But hey, they asked if I thought every member of a gang was a criminal and I said yes. They asked why and I wrote "isn't that the whole point of a criminal gang?".

Ended last week with a guilty verdict. I haven't heard the sentence yet but not my problem. I only hoped they reached the right verdict which since they decided in one day seems they had no concerns about getting the right guy. Despite the one hour commute each way every day I was prepared to serve.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26667.00
vreihen1619113.00
      06-24-2022, 01:20 AM   #6111
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I was fortunate enough to not be selected for jury duty on a murder trial by one gang banger of another gang banger. They did tell us it would be a 6 week trial with lots of witnesses.

I answered the questionaire honestly and they wanted nothing to do with me. But hey, they asked if I thought every member of a gang was a criminal and I said yes. They asked why and I wrote "isn't that the whole point of a criminal gang?".

Ended last week with a guilty verdict. I haven't heard the sentence yet but not my problem. I only hoped they reached the right verdict which since they decided in one day seems they had no concerns about getting the right guy. Despite the one hour commute each way every day I was prepared to serve.
The very definition states that a gang is:

• comprised of a group of 3 or more people
• who use a common identifying sign or symbol
• whose members engage in criminal activity
• …and where the primary purpose is the commission of one or more crimes

The defense wanted you to set that aside and have sympathy for the victimizers/criminals. Some criminal defense attorneys will have a special place in hell to burn.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1619113.00
jamesinaz1803.00
      06-24-2022, 07:47 AM   #6112
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Some criminal defense attorneys will have a special place in hell to burn.
Remember, they are the *only* people in a courtroom who are not under oath.....
      06-24-2022, 09:01 AM   #6113
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:

The defense wanted you to set that aside and have sympathy for the victimizers/criminals. Some criminal defense attorneys will have a special place in hell to burn.
I'm not sure the DA wanted me either. They also asked if I could obey all the instructions given by the judge. I answered it depends. I mean hey, what if he instructs me to jump out a window. I'm not a sheep here dudes I am a jurist who brings my life experiences and if I see a railroad trial I'm not gonna just vote the way they want.

Truth be told I would be a good jurist. Despite any bias I have developed in life the burden of proof in a murder trial is on the DA. Prove it and get your conviction. Fail to prove it and sorry charlie.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26667.00
Buug95921326.50
      06-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #6114
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

so all politicians are gang members
Appreciate 5
      06-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #6115
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:

I'm not sure the DA wanted me either. They also asked if I could obey all the instructions given by the judge. I answered it depends. I mean hey, what if he instructs me to jump out a window. I'm not a sheep here dudes I am a jurist who brings my life experiences and if I see a railroad trial I'm not gonna just vote the way they want.

Truth be told I would be a good jurist. Despite any bias I have developed in life the burden of proof in a murder trial is on the DA. Prove it and get your conviction. Fail to prove it and sorry charlie.
+1

Prove it and the conviction is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Quote:

so all politicians are gang members
One could argue that if you made the case that politics is criminal in nature.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #6116
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
+1

Prove it and the conviction is yours.

One could argue that if you made the case that politics is criminal in nature.
Every year at tax time, money is forcibly extracted from me without my consent. Does that count?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26667.00