BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-12-2024, 09:52 AM   #23
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Holy smokes bud... THIS story is why my wife won't let me get a motorcycle. She has no problem with me getting a dirtbike, but big NO to anything on the road. It's the other folks you have to worry about. Here's to hoping that you took care of all of your issues early in your trip and the rest is a breeze... Best of luck. I remember your post in another thread about this trip - sounds like it's going to be a blast.
As long as the bears don't figure out how to work a motorcycle clutch, I'm sure I'll be fine!
Attached Images

vreihen1619086.50
BMWGUYinCO4298.50
hubbahubba10836.00
Buug95921301.50
      07-12-2024, 09:54 AM   #24
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Glad you are still alive man!

I rode dirtbikes for years, and had thought about a street bike for a while until some of my friends who had them gave them up after only a year or two riding. My area is just horrible for bikes.

Way too many distracted people on the road who have no issue running you over and driving away. My bet is the guy was probably on his phone or playing with his stupid infotainment screen, and was too much of a coward to stop once he realized he hit someone.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
flybigjet7503.00
SW111478.00
      07-12-2024, 10:13 AM   #25
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

^THAT!!!!

Phones. These days you have to assume the other drivers are on their damn phones instead of watching what is in front of them. I still drive like others are watching, but have to consciously catch myself and remind myself, they aren't watching.

I was in Key West the past week, and I pulled in front of cars to enter the driveway to our hotel several times assuming they would see me - and this entire thread is the PERFECT reminder - NO they very well may not be looking don't pull in front of others like it's the good ol days before cell phones. /rant.

Praise God you are alive and living to see another day on that beautiful bike with an amazing wife. Hopefully life and how special and fragile it is takes on new meaning in the weeks and months to come. Safe travels out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3178.00
      07-12-2024, 10:41 AM   #26
Gemini562
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

After something like that, I’d strongly recommend getting a camera for your bike.
Seriously though, what kind of asshole doesn't come back after hitting someone?
Appreciate 2
flybigjet7503.00
Buug95921301.50
      07-12-2024, 11:40 AM   #27
SW111
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235

Garage List
2014 Volvo XC70  [0.00]
2016 M235i  [0.00]
Glad you made it through it alive.

Hope karma acts soon.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-12-2024, 12:29 PM   #28
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini562 View Post
After something like that, I’d strongly recommend getting a camera for your bike.

An asshole under the influence. Probably vaping THC oil or spiked his circle K coke. Unfortunately these days you also have to assume people are not behind the wheel sober either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-12-2024, 01:05 PM   #29
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I will, but I don't have the time/tools right now to do it. The GS has a canbus system, so wiring things in can be tricky.

I've got a magic electronic box I installed on the bike a while ago that will allowed me to wire in a phone charger, aux lights and horn (and it electronically fuses whatever you wire in), but I don't know if I can wire in a camera to it-- it might be tapped out on things it can handle.

I'd have to depanel most of the bike to figure things out and that's not something I can really do at my dad's house in the amount of time I'm here and the amount of projects we're doing (he's 81, so needs a little bit of help here and there around the house).

Until this week, I didn't even know bike dash cams were a thing.

R.
Gemini562161.00
Buug95921301.50
      07-12-2024, 01:09 PM   #30
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Super duty pickup truck drivers. All. The. Time.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 01:13 PM   #31
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
An asshole under the influence. Probably vaping THC oil or spiked his circle K coke. Unfortunately these days you also have to assume people are not behind the wheel sober either.
That's very generous of you to assume people are only like that under the influence. But unfortunately, people are like that everyday as a baseline.
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933476.50
      07-12-2024, 01:16 PM   #32
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Glad you're ok.

A friend recently got hit by a careless driver. First responders told him he's lucky to be alive.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 01:18 PM   #33
ShapeShifter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix GC

The word unconscionable best describes this person's behavior before, and after after causing a near fatal incident. Not an accident, because driving their oversized truck and trailer wrecklessly under those conditions can only be called negligence. I agree a police report should be filled.

Glad you came through with minimal injury!
1988 Conquest TSi, 5 Spd - Black
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2024, 01:27 PM   #34
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
True story. When my wife and I honeymooned, we rented a car and spent 10 days driving around Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper, Kananaskis, etc.
There is a road there called the Million Dollar Highway so named because of its incredible views.

I was following a large camper trailer on that scenic roadway when it suddenly swerved from drifting off the side of the road. As I approached from behind, I came upon something tumbling on the shoulder. It was not a thing. It was a bicyclist that the camper trailer had struck.

I immediately pulled over and ran to the cyclist. I could tell that his lungs had been punctured because a soft, pink foam was forming in his mouth. Immediately after, someone else stopped and we began to render aid, but I knew he was gone because of his eyes. He died right there.

And the camper trailer? Kept right on going - he swerved back on to the road and never slowed down. He knew he had stuck something because the impact ripped off the right extended side mirror - it was lying near the cyclist. I pointed this out to the police and suggested they set up a road block ahead to look for a vehicle with a ripped off side mirror.

Several months later, when we were back home in Colorado, I got a call from the police, following up with me as a witness for a final statement. They informed me they had caught the motorist who had struck and killed the cyclist. They were simply being charged with leaving the scene of an accident - nothing more. I said I couldn't believe that but there was nothing more said by the police.

I can still vividly recall what that cyclist looked like, lying there on the shoulder, dying, and knowing that his family had to live with the fact that the offending motorist was never charged with shit other than leaving the scene of an accident.
Appreciate 8
vreihen1619086.50
Llarry20254.00
mc-m3236.50
Ingraman155.50
P111693.00
Buug95921301.50
      07-12-2024, 02:16 PM   #35
Gemini562
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
True story. When my wife and I honeymooned, we rented a car and spent 10 days driving around Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper, Kananaskis, etc.
There is a road there called the Million Dollar Highway so named because of its incredible views.

I was following a large camper trailer on that scenic roadway when it suddenly swerved from drifting off the side of the road. As I approached from behind, I came upon something tumbling on the shoulder. It was not a thing. It was a bicyclist that the camper trailer had struck.

I immediately pulled over and ran to the cyclist. I could tell that his lungs had been punctured because a soft, pink foam was forming in his mouth. Immediately after, someone else stopped and we began to render aid, but I knew he was gone because of his eyes. He died right there.

And the camper trailer? Kept right on going - he swerved back on to the road and never slowed down. He knew he had stuck something because the impact ripped off the right extended side mirror - it was lying near the cyclist. I pointed this out to the police and suggested they set up a road block ahead to look for a vehicle with a ripped off side mirror.

Several months later, when we were back home in Colorado, I got a call from the police, following up with me as a witness for a final statement. They informed me they had caught the motorist who had struck and killed the cyclist. They were simply being charged with leaving the scene of an accident - nothing more. I said I couldn't believe that but there was nothing more said by the police.

I can still vividly recall what that cyclist looked like, lying there on the shoulder, dying, and knowing that his family had to live with the fact that the offending motorist was never charged with shit other than leaving the scene of an accident.

I can't believe that POS was only charged with leaving the scene of an accident. This guy killed someone and just drove off like it was nothing. It's infuriating that he got off so lightly. That cyclist's family deserves so much more justice than this pathetic charge.
Appreciate 2
BMWGUYinCO4298.50
Buug95921301.50
      07-12-2024, 04:00 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I see POSs like that all the time hauling crazy X w freaking huge trailers and other crap being towed. I simply don't get this disgusting attitude, never mind all those other lousy drivers on the road.

I sometimes wish Judge Dredd was real, some ppl need to be unalived, or at least slammed w never being able to drive ever again+jail time. Regrets, but it's the truth.

OP, gws.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 05:13 PM   #37
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

So glad you survived, and came through pretty well.

I have a friend who was riding behind her bf on his bike (both on the same bike, to be clear) in the Smokies. Rounded a corner to see a bear in the road; unavoidable. Bear and gal lived (gal unhurt), boyfriend killed. Lesson is to keep speed down enough to avoid the unexpected, which kills the fun but preserves lives.

I tow a large boat (30ft trailer, 9ft wide) on occasion. Longest tow was a couple hundred miles when I bought it, mostly two-lane roads. Pulled over several times to let faster vehicles by. Tow with RAM 1500, no extended mirrors (don’t need them, if adjusted properly). Keep my speed down to maintain control of the trailer (and save some gas). I’m a wuss towing, would never tow a camper or giant trailer cross country, certainly not without having sway control and all the towing goodies. In the past I towed a track car with all the tires etc on an open trailer behind a Benz diesel ML.

I understand the lure of towing a camper or whatever, and the lure of bikes, but both are now beyond my skills, reaction times and really desire.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2024, 10:30 PM   #38
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You said your wife was following you in her car. Did she witness the entire thing? As you were seeing your life flash in front of you, I'm hoping your wife saw something enough to identify that POS!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 12:17 AM   #39
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
You said your wife was following you in her car. Did she witness the entire thing? As you were seeing your life flash in front of you, I'm hoping your wife saw something enough to identify that POS!
Nope-- she followed me Denver-Steamboat Springs. We had lunch together and then I kept going west (towards where I got hit) and she stayed in town and had a day at the hot springs.

I kindofsortof haven't mentioned this event to her at all. She would *lose her mind*-- especially since both her father and uncle were killed in motorcycle accidents. In the interest of marital harmony (and the ability to keep riding long solo trips, I'm keeping this one from her. I don't like that, but I like riding solo too much to give it up.

R.
Llarry20254.00
Lady Jane78745.50
vreihen1619086.50
P111693.00
      07-14-2024, 05:53 AM   #40
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
I kindofsortof haven't mentioned this event to her at all. She would *lose her mind*-- especially since both her father and uncle were killed in motorcycle accidents. In the interest of marital harmony (and the ability to keep riding long solo trips, I'm keeping this one from her. I don't like that, but I like riding solo too much to give it up.

R.
Probably best although you might have to explain the residual bruising when you get back home. I could tell you many tales from the road from all my long-distance riding although I was never hit, there were many close calls. You just can't flick a heavily laden touring bike, (especially one with a large gas tank) like a 600cc sport bike. However, having a powerful bike got me out of many situations.

Probably more people die slipping in the shower or falling down a flight of stairs. Keep on riding. And yes, ATGATT...!

Name:  girl bike.gif
Views: 112
Size:  34.8 KB
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-14-2024, 07:09 AM   #41
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Super duty pickup truck drivers. All. The. Time.

Your multiple comments are truly ridiculous in numerous ways. I own 5 F250s, so apparently to you I'm a psychopath as well.

The real issue is "city folk" buying setups they have no business driving. I see it all the time in these high income communities. And RV isn't camping btw. It takes skill pulling a trailer and most of these campers are way too large to be safe imo. Driver's don't realize that pulling too much weight can and will put the trailer in control on curves and stops.

People in the country laugh at the jacked up trucks, we call them pavement princesses. Bet the guy drives a BMW during the week and doesn't use his turn signal, BMW drivers are all dbags. Oh wait, that's just me making a ridiculous blanket statement.

I was an EMT/FF for 13 years, you know who I saw majority of crashes caused by....well, I'll keep my mouth shut. Hint: It wasn't pickup truck drivers.

OP, I'm sorry that happened to you, no excuse for him not stopping, people are jerks! Glad your okay and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Appreciate 7
2000cs3755.50
vreihen1619086.50
Buug95921301.50
CamasM3e933476.50
flybigjet7503.00
P111693.00
      07-14-2024, 08:15 AM   #42
fraschusa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp

I am glad you are ok and were able to react so quickly. Truck
What an awesome trip, though. Have great fun for the rest of it!
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-14-2024, 09:53 AM   #43
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I saw this posted in another forum, where professional truck drivers were bashing the ad:

Name:  silverado-hands-free.png
Views: 158
Size:  837.9 KB

P111693.00
Buug95921301.50
BMWGUYinCO4298.50
      07-14-2024, 10:41 AM   #44
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I saw this posted in another forum, where professional truck drivers were bashing the ad:

Attachment 3501885

I don't trust hands free. I definitely wouldn't trust GM hands free.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619086.50