BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-30-2024, 05:19 PM   #23
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I loathe ABS brakes, and any vehicle telematics system. BMW has twice now turned their telematics systems into paperweights with the shutdowns of the 2G and 3G cellular networks, and I'm sure that 4G/LTE won't be around in 10 years. Look at a Ford Model T today, and then think how your current car's telematics will not age as gracefully in 100 years.....
Ahhhh... but I've been told that the G30 will be able to be upgraded to 4G/LTE/5G.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 05:28 PM   #24
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've read some articles about folks buying slightly older used cars because they don't want the newer "assistive" technology on the newest cars. What "features" of your current car would you rather not have?

On my GLC300:

1. The butt ugly info screen. It literally looks like someone glued an iPad to the dash as an afterthought. It's mostly useless in my car because the original owner didn't spring for navigation. I can see audio settings and vehicle settings, but it isn't useful for anything else. And unlike the screen on my former C300, where you could set the screen to just show the time, with my GLC300 you have to settle for some screen you'll never use. I can turn the system off, but then the Bluetooth phone system doesn't work, which is silly.

2. The center console where the gear selector *should* be is taken up by a mouse-like device and a twist knob which change menus and such on the aforementioned screen. Both pretty much do the same thing. And both are unnecessary and clunky.

3. The gear selector is some jackass engineer's mind game. It's where the wiper controls on any other car would be. And the shifter won't let you choose a gear until you are stomping on the brake pedal. With any other car I can start the car and be in the gear I want in 2 seconds. With this car I have to wait until the warning on the info screen goes away and then it might let me choose a gear if I'm putting enough pressure on the brake and the doors are closed. If the driver's door is open even a crack, the electronic parking brake won't release. When I drive my wife's car, [...]
Put that energy into trading that pos in already man - there are lots of better options for you out there that don’t have this list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 05:43 PM   #25
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
I forgot to mention that in my original post. I hate that "feature." I can turn it off, but I have to do that manually every time. There's no way to do it permanently without a plugin tool I don't have. And the dealer wouldn't do it for me.
Both our x3 and x1 have the stop/start feature and as mentioned, hate it also. BWM under a one time deal would code it out. Mine are both coded off and remains off. we can turn it on and off manually thru the dash button if we elect.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 05:46 PM   #26
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Tattle tale electronics, reporting where I go, my speed, rapid acceleration, “extreme” braking, etc without context. It is in Waze and other phone apps to, so may not be escapable. But I don’t like it.

Start/Stop is awful, but I use it on the RAM because it may help defer “hemi-tick” engine failure (a lifter oiling issue on Hemi engines at idle speed).

On the 2006 BMW, the dynamic drive is a disaster to maintain or even diagnose. Thankfully not continued into current models.

Twin turbos or turbo/supercharger combos on a four-banger are an argument for early end-of-life of the engines. Too much heat (also turned up for emissions and fuel economy), bad for cooling components and so forth.

Collision avoidance in all forms annoys me and is more of an intrusion than a help. That includes automatic braking, lane change avoidance, and the rest. Mercedes, Volvo, BMW and the RAM all suck.

The list goes on; new cars are off the list for me (I’m pre-2000 at this point, except maybe Miata/MX-5). But I do like rain-sensing wipers, heated and cooled seats, and there has to be something else!
Appreciate 1
Joachim446.50
      06-30-2024, 05:47 PM   #27
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
Why doesn’t the radio shut off when u turn the car off in a 5 series until you lock the car. I know you can hold in the radio button but who wants to do that. Genius engineering…..
I take it that you've never been to a drive-in movie theater, or parked in a quiet place with that special someone and wanted some music?????
      06-30-2024, 07:36 PM   #28
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-500.html?q=121g

hubbahubba10866.50
      06-30-2024, 07:49 PM   #29
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I take it that you've never been to a drive-in movie theater, or parked in a quiet place with that special someone and wanted some music?????
When I retired I told my wife that my days of waiting outside of dressing rooms were over. She hates to drive, so I always take her to the mall. I now sit in the car while she shops and listen to the radio or nap. She spends a couple of hours shopping, so I get a decent nap or a good dose of talk radio .
Appreciate 3
2000cs3757.00
vreihen1619114.50
DocL2047.00
      06-30-2024, 08:03 PM   #30
eliphil
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550I

Quote:
The radio in my GLC300 never turns off. You can hit the mute button, but the sound system has no On/Off button. At least not one that I've found. If I want to make sure that music doesn't start playing if I accidentally hit the mute or volume buttons, I have to set the audio input to USB device when there is no USB device attached. How I long for a simple audio system with real buttons and knobs.
German engineering at its finest. KISS theory is best
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 09:00 PM   #31
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

This could take me a long time so I am going to list my hates and not explain why, if anyone ants to l know more on a specific item, i will elaborate. I am referencing a 2013 X3, 2019 Stelvio and several rentals as "newer cars" I have regularly driven. My DD is a 2008 Saab and my fun car a 2009 911.

This is in no particular order;
  • Foot on the brake to start the car
  • Key fobs
  • Auto Braking
  • Lane Assist
  • Climate Control
  • Whatever it is that makes the decision that air shall only be directed to the windshield (to remove condensation) if it is in full blown hot mode.... or it simply won't direct air there
  • Collision warning
  • Seatbelt warning
  • Touchscreen controls for anything related to HVAC or radio volume
  • Radio pre-sets that are not hard buttons
  • Lack of a dipstick
  • Stop/start
  • Throttle lag
  • Trunk won't open until car is off
  • Beeping because a door is open
  • Beeping because the key fob is with someone who left the car for 3 minutes
  • "Digital" handles/locks, hard to describe but the trunk on my saab it's a sort of .... i dunno.. unusual pad with huge lag to unlock the hatch, it's not mechanical/analog
  • electric hand brake (Soooo much lag)

Believe it or not there is a theme here, well two. 1) I despise digital lag, I absolutely loathe pressing something then either not being sure it will work or waiting for it to work, like hands free faucets for example

2) I want control over my device and anything that takes away from that control infuriates me as it stops me from executing my task.

By far and away the dumbest of the above is the hot air only for condensation, on a rainy day it is utter, utterly absurd. One MUST direct air there or one cannot drive but on full hot air the cabin gets incredibly hot, so you open a window and get soaked. It's utterly fucking stupid and I will die on this fucking hill. Idiots.
Appreciate 5
2000cs3757.00
Buug95921328.00
cmyx6go16593.50
Joachim446.50
      06-30-2024, 09:29 PM   #32
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep
Drives: F10 550i | E82 135i

Two things on my F10 550 - electronic damper control and soft close doors. Couldn’t option the 701 passive suspension or ‘normal’ doors unfortunately.

I agree the E39 was the best balance for tech and handling. It was even backwards compatible with that flip up hidden cassette player.

I’m shocked every time I loan a G30 or G60 etc - the car seems to want to tell me how to drive!

It used to be the ultimate driving machine not the ultimate pampering machine.

My E82 6MT has limited tech which is great - I think the tail end of the E generation was the best balance - including the wife’s R56 MINI.

2013 F10 550i M-Sport | AC Schnitzer Springs | CMP Chassis Brace | PS4S

2011 E82 135i M-Sport | Evolution Racewerks CP | Stock | Stock | Stock
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 10:13 PM   #33
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

By far and away the dumbest of the above is the hot air only for condensation, on a rainy day it is utter, utterly absurd. One MUST direct air there or one cannot drive but on full hot air the cabin gets incredibly hot, so you open a window and get soaked. It's utterly fucking stupid and I will die on this fucking hill. Idiots.
That's what I was saying about the older BMWs having the center outside air vent. You could always get cool air even if the defroster was on full bore. Such a great option and not seen these days.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 07:11 AM   #34
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheedal View Post
I think the info screen in the car should be simple. :困惑2

:爆米花:
      07-01-2024, 07:22 AM   #35
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have to set the audio input to USB device when there is no USB device attached.
The Mercedes-sourced head unit in the almost-Mighty Freightliner has an annoying feature. It auto-selects input sources, and prioritizes USB over everything else. I tried to power my dashcam via the radio's USB port. Every time that I turned the key on, it selected the USB port...even though the dashcam does not present any type of media profile but requesting power over USB.....
      07-01-2024, 08:10 AM   #36
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
When I retired I told my wife that my days of waiting outside of dressing rooms were over. She hates to drive, so I always take her to the mall. I now sit in the car while she shops and listen to the radio or nap. She spends a couple of hours shopping, so I get a decent nap or a good dose of talk radio .
I used to do the same thing, however I now hang out on a couch in the mall, listen to some music, and watch the Yoga Pant Mafioso with thier dogs in a baby carriage.
      07-01-2024, 09:16 AM   #37
erickonphoenix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

My wife had an accident six months ago when a car swerved across her lane to take an exit in heavy traffic and her Honda Accord autobraked so hard the car behind her hit her. The officer wrote them both tickets, my wife got one for unsafe braking and the other for following too close. The insurance split the claim so we were out of pocket $1300 for that repair. Needless to say we're not a fan of auto braking.
      07-01-2024, 10:33 AM   #38
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This could take me a long time so I am going to list my hates and not explain why, if anyone ants to l know more on a specific item, i will elaborate. I am referencing a 2013 X3, 2019 Stelvio and several rentals as "newer cars" I have regularly driven. My DD is a 2008 Saab and my fun car a 2009 911.

This is in no particular order;

Foot on the brake to start the car
Key fobs
Auto Braking
Lane Assist
Climate Control
Whatever it is that makes the decision that air shall only be directed to the windshield (to remove condensation) if it is in full blown hot mode.... or it simply won't direct air there
Collision warning
Seatbelt warning
Touchscreen controls for anything related to HVAC or radio volume
Radio pre-sets that are not hard buttons
Lack of a dipstick
Stop/start
Throttle lag
Trunk won't open until car is off
Beeping because a door is open
Beeping because the key fob is with someone who left the car for 3 minutes
"Digital" handles/locks, hard to describe but the trunk on my saab it's a sort of .... i dunno.. unusual pad with huge lag to unlock the hatch, it's not mechanical/analog
electric hand brake (Soooo much lag)

Believe it or not there is a theme here, well two. 1) I despise digital lag, I absolutely loathe pressing something then either not being sure it will work or waiting for it to work, like hands free faucets for example

2) I want control over my device and anything that takes away from that control infuriates me as it stops me from executing my task.

By far and away the dumbest [...]
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 10:42 AM   #39
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sue Honda!!!!!
      07-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #40
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Feedback on my (and some other owners' themes) for the G87 M2.

- auto start/stop function-- just delete this from every car please
- wireless charging pad is useless in the M2, more of a phone warmer
- the lane assist is just too much intervention. In the M2 it vibrates the steering wheel and also places the car back in the lane. I turn off that assistance since there are times I need to veer outside of a lane to avoid debris, pothole, etc and I don't want to fight with this technology
- throttle lag with the 6mt-- seems like BMW biased the power to the higher revs to make the low end more civilized but went a little too far
- lack of rear HVAC controls in the 2024 model year-- 2023 has this
- lack of digital key option for the 6mt models
- lack of 360 degree camera in the G87 though you can get it in the M240i....
- the stock brake pads squeak and throw sooooo much dust. If you have black wheels they are never looking clean

My wife's 2018 Lexus GX 460. **Warning....rant incoming
- the HVAC and infotainment controls should be taken out back and beaten with a bat like the scene from Office Space. The HVAC is such a pain to use and the "auto" function makes no sense. Then next time you start the car it doesn't stay with the settings from the previous drive. Lets say it is super hot out and you could have it set to the lowest temp and vents on high. You come back to the vehicle later that day and it is set to random temp (usually 74) with the vents not blowing at all. I just don't get how Lexus got away with such crap technology. I admit I have not spent much time trying to better learn the system since it's not my vehicle. Maybe it could be better but even so it is still crap.
      07-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #41
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
My wife had an accident six months ago when a car swerved across her lane to take an exit in heavy traffic and her Honda Accord autobraked so hard the car behind her hit her. The officer wrote them both tickets, my wife got one for unsafe braking and the other for following too close. The insurance split the claim so we were out of pocket $1300 for that repair. Needless to say we're not a fan of auto braking.
Perhaps it saved her from a worse accident with the moron cutting across lanes to take an exit?

Also, I would have found a ticket attorney and fought that ticket if the braking was to avoid a collision and the car behind was ticketed for following too close.
      07-01-2024, 11:49 AM   #42
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Wifey was driving through the parking lot at the university when a student backed out of a space and ran into my wife's car as it was passing by. The university cop wrote it up as a 50/50 parking lot accident. Wifey's car suffered far more damage than the student's car, so we got slammed on our insurance rates. Luckily in this state all you have to do to avoid surcharges is switch insurance companies, which we did.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2024, 12:21 PM   #43
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
"unsafe braking?" There is no such charge in Texas. I would have fought that.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2024, 12:24 PM   #44
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I am 63 years old and love to drive. I attended the Performance Center school in 21. I love the tech in these cars. Not a fan of auto/start stop, but BMW provides an easy path to defeat it. I still used Bimmercode to always start in Sport Individual, which bypasses the ASS

Some of y'all read as though you're still using Windows 3.1. lol
Appreciate 5
vreihen1619114.50
kscarrol9272.50
ASAP10578.00
CamasM3e933481.00