BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-10-2024, 09:23 PM   #23
MagicJohnson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3

I usually 2 X rinse and foam because I don't think the foam is thick enough the first time. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2024, 10:46 PM   #24
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
I follow a similar process but use a leaf blower to remove most of the DI water then follow up with a drying aid, etc for the final wipe. The only time I don’t do a final wipe and let the DI water dry naturally is when I’m pressed for time. But I reserved this practice for the wife and kiddo's cars. LOL
If your PPM is 0, you're just making additional contact for no reason.

I quickly leaf blower as well to keep water off my garage floor.
Appreciate 1
arsunic49.50
      06-10-2024, 11:31 PM   #25
BruinMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
unless you're using a prewash like bilt hamber to sit and dwell, letting a snow foam like adam's mega wash sit and dwell then rinsing off does nothing. you're just wasting a good snow foam at that point.
You are misleading the car enthusiast with saying no to a pre-wash with snow foam and allowing it sit.
A pre-rinse could allow scratches on the paint by the dirt, grim, pollen or mud. A pre-rinse will allow grim/dirt to rub into the finish. As a pre-wash with a snow cannon will encapsulate these contaminants (grim etc) and lift it away the surface. If your car is filthy, a soap with a low pH will work best; or like you mention Bilt Hamber or CarPro Lift. But, I wouldn’t use these soaps on my car with ceramic coating.

It’s a simple car wash: Foam, Rinse, Foam, contact wash and rinse. Dry with a leaf blower.
      06-11-2024, 02:02 AM   #26
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
If your PPM is 0, you're just making additional contact for no reason.

I quickly leaf blower as well to keep water off my garage floor.
Not really… applying a topper that adds sacrificial protection and gloss is reason enough. Been doing this method for years with zero issues and more importantly no scratches from the additional contact even under gas station lighting or under my Scangrip lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinMan View Post
You are misleading the car enthusiast with saying no to a pre-wash with snow foam and allowing it sit.
A pre-rinse could allow scratches on the paint by the dirt, grim, pollen or mud. A pre-rinse will allow grim/dirt to rub into the finish. As a pre-wash with a snow cannon will encapsulate these contaminants (grim etc) and lift it away the surface. If your car is filthy, a soap with a low pH will work best; or like you mention Bilt Hamber or CarPro Lift. But, I wouldn’t use these soaps on my car with ceramic coating.

It’s a simple car wash: Foam, Rinse, Foam, contact wash and rinse. Dry with a leaf blower.
I agreed, especially if your car is filthy. Taking the extra step with a pre-wash using whatever shampoo (several options here) is better IMHO than going straight to foaming and a contact wash.

Bilt Hamber is supposed to be safe on all coatings and claims to offer real touch-less” cleaning power compared to the other offerings. We shall see once I get to try it.

IG: @moya_M3
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2024, 10:38 AM   #27
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

I typically foam before pre rinsing.

When its really dirty i use car pro lift for max cleaning power (remove as much as i can) and the water from the pre rinse can dilute that mixture.

then i foam again and do contact wash

for regular maintenance washes, i can get away with just foaming on and letting it dwell and then power wash off...I typically have a good coating on my car and its garaged, so unless its super dirty i don't do a contact wash...
Appreciate 1
arsunic49.50
      06-11-2024, 11:47 AM   #28
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not really… applying a topper that adds sacrificial protection and gloss is reason enough. Been doing this method for years with zero issues and more importantly no scratches from the additional contact even under gas station lighting or under my Scangrip lights.

I agreed, especially if your car is filthy. Taking the extra step with a pre-wash using whatever shampoo (several options here) is better IMHO than going straight to foaming and a contact wash.

Bilt Hamber is supposed to be safe on all coatings and claims to offer real touch-less” cleaning power compared to the other offerings. We shall see once I get to try it.
I use Gyeon Wet Coat for that. Mainly for laziness but it doesn't requiring wiping, hahah
Appreciate 1
Hagasan41324.50
      06-11-2024, 06:13 PM   #29
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Quote:
I use Gyeon Wet Coat for that. Mainly for laziness but it doesn't requiring wiping, hahah
Ha! I hear ya life gets in the way of car washing. LOL. Wet coat and Hydro 2 are in my arsenal for sure. They have their place and are great for the daily driver or if you’re short on time.

IG: @moya_M3
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2024, 07:38 PM   #30
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha! I hear ya life gets in the way of car washing. LOL. Wet coat and Hydro 2 are in my arsenal for sure. They have their place and are great for the daily driver or if you’re short on time.
Definitely. For years, I dedicated ~2 hours every Sat or Sun morning to get the car nice and clean. Don't have it in me anymore.

Past 2 years or so, I 've mostly just prefoam with Bilt Hamber Auto Foam then just rinse with DI water. I'll full wash once a month or two but otherwise, the Auto Foam gets me 80% there with 10% of the work.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 04:00 PM   #31
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
check out carpro hydro2 foam. same concept, but no wiping. Foam on and power wash off...

super easy to apply and gives up to 6 months of protection
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #32
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
check out carpro hydro2 foam. same concept, but no wiping. Foam on and power wash off...

super easy to apply and gives up to 6 months of protection
I think you misread my post. That's exactly the same as Wet Coat haha
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 02:12 PM   #33
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think you misread my post. That's exactly the same as Wet Coat haha
you're right i did mis read, but sometimes pulling the spray trigger on the small orange bottle is a lot of effort LOL (specially on a bigger car to get proper coverage)

foaming and rinsing to get the same results...with the hydro2 foam...

Wet coat is also an awesome product, but the foam provides better more even coverage as well
Appreciate 1
TboneS541149.00
      06-14-2024, 03:36 PM   #34
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

That's my gripe with water contact sio2 sprays (hydro2, wet coat, supercharger) - way too much spraying for an entire car, and probably mostly used for wheels/calipers/exhuast pipes or other odd shaped things. Foaming the car with hydro2 sounds good.
      07-23-2024, 03:46 PM   #35
loochy
I like to eat eat eat apples and bananas
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp, 2016 M2, 2021 X5

Does anyone else wash IN the garage? I always do and the neighbors think I'm a nut. I want to keep the hot sun from drying the soap/water prematurely and I want to keep the wind from blowing dust on to the wet car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 04:19 AM   #36
scubajim
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW 435 F33 S2 / 03 BMW 540

If I had a garage, I would wash it in the garage! Keeping it out of direct sun to reduce the soap from drying on the paint is important. I try to wash first thing in the morning or even on overcast days trying to reduce the hottest part of the day and direct sun when possible.
      07-24-2024, 03:12 PM   #37
lopeydeath
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4C

I wash my car at 7am to avoid the sun, but I pull the car into the drive way. I dry it in the garage though.
90% of the time I rinse, foam and hand wash. Every once in a while I’ll just rinse and foam. Quick drying towel for large panels and leaf blower to get everything else.

On average once a week, mid week, I’ll do a quick detail of the car with a good detail spray. A good ceramic coat makes a world of difference in my anxiety- I wouldn’t do a mid week cleaning without it.
I clean my windshield probably 4 days a week.

I intend to get a DI setup, just haven’t yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2024, 08:48 PM   #38
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopeydeath View Post
I wash my car at 7am to avoid the sun, but I pull the car into the drive way. I dry it in the garage though.
90% of the time I rinse, foam and hand wash. Every once in a while I’ll just rinse and foam. Quick drying towel for large panels and leaf blower to get everything else.

On average once a week, mid week, I’ll do a quick detail of the car with a good detail spray. A good ceramic coat makes a world of difference in my anxiety- I wouldn’t do a mid week cleaning without it.
I clean my windshield probably 4 days a week.

I intend to get a DI setup, just haven’t yet.
I am on a private well and the water is very hard. I bought this unit from Amazon in 2015. I recharge it with table salt and it still works great. I also rinse, leaf blower, towel dry the random areas, and then use ceramic detailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2024, 10:33 PM   #39
lopeydeath
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
I am on a private well and the water is very hard. I bought this unit from Amazon in 2015. I recharge it with table salt and it still works great. I also rinse, leaf blower, towel dry the random areas, and then use ceramic detailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That’s interesting - especially the use of table/rock salt. The systems I had looked at used something else.
I’m not sure how much water I use to wash my car, but I imagine 2K gallons would last quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 02:17 PM   #40
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopeydeath View Post
That’s interesting - especially the use of table/rock salt. The systems I had looked at used something else.
I’m not sure how much water I use to wash my car, but I imagine 2K gallons would last quite a while.
I am no expert, but it depends on the medium used to deionize/soften the water. Mine works on the same principle as a whole house system. The water passes through the medium which extracts the minerals. The salt recharge simply washes the medium. Eventually you will have to replace the medium but it will take a long time. And I wash my car at least weekly using a 5 gallon wash and a 5 gallon grit bucket, plus a 1750 psi 1.3gpm pressure washer.

I rinse, foam, wash, rinse, dry. If the car is really dirty I will rinse, foam, let it dwell, rinse, foam, wash, dry.

I have to microfiber sponges and will switch when I go from the less dirty areas to the lower areas. I also have a boards hair brush I use for really bad spots. Like baked on bugs. Worst case I treat the area directly with undiluted car wash. Let it sit, wet it again, and then agitate with a small boards hair sponge and rinse.

The car has the front full front and lower rear PPF and the entire car ceramic coated. So far nothing sticks.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2024, 03:22 PM   #41
lopeydeath
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
I am no expert, but it depends on the medium used to deionize/soften the water. Mine works on the same principle as a whole house system. The water passes through the medium which extracts the minerals. The salt recharge simply washes the medium. Eventually you will have to replace the medium but it will take a long time. And I wash my car at least weekly using a 5 gallon wash and a 5 gallon grit bucket, plus a 1750 psi 1.3gpm pressure washer.

I rinse, foam, wash, rinse, dry. If the car is really dirty I will rinse, foam, let it dwell, rinse, foam, wash, dry.

I have to microfiber sponges and will switch when I go from the less dirty areas to the lower areas. I also have a boards hair brush I use for really bad spots. Like baked on bugs. Worst case I treat the area directly with undiluted car wash. Let it sit, wet it again, and then agitate with a small boards hair sponge and rinse.

The car has the front full front and lower rear PPF and the entire car ceramic coated. So far nothing sticks.
My wash is almost identical and I too do it every weekend . Front half PPFd as well with full ceramic. Most annoying part is trying to get the wheels done properly.

Ok, so for some reason I thought the salt was the medium - so that was my mistake.

I really want soft water - there’s a good chance I get stationed in Bahrain next year so given how absurdly hot it is I’ll definitely need soft water as I won’t be able to beat the speed with which water dries no matter how early I get up.
Appreciate 1
Dan B456.00
      08-02-2024, 03:32 PM   #42
MHL
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW G22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
I rinse, foam, rinse , foam and hand wash then rinse off.
This is the way of working for me as well for years now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2024, 10:15 PM   #43
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinMan View Post

You are correct my friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2024, 06:22 AM   #44
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

I use Bilt Hamber touchless before I wash the car or even rinse the car. You can see the foam literally pull the top layer of dirt off when you let it dwell for 5 min. After I rinse the touchless off, I foam it back up with Koch Chemie and do a two bucket wash. The combo works great.
Appreciate 1
arsunic49.50