BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #23
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
It's hard for me to figure out what goes through someone's mind when planning something like this. He's obviously upset with black people, but I'd think he'd be upset with a few black people specifically. Why not go after them, as opposed to innocent black people at church?
Sad realities of racism.

Having such disdain for a specific group of people can lead to some horrific things since to everyone else, all he did was kill some innocent people trying to enjoy a church service.

I've dealt with it for much of my childhood growing up in a rural area. Sadly you get used to the fact that people hate you for no other reason than your DNA instead of some trait that you actually have control over.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #24
Patrick303
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche Taycan 4S

Garage List
Some crazy details in this story. First, I find it hard to believe there were ZERO signs that this kid wasn't right in the head and had hate crime tendencies prior to this event. And his uncle bought him a .45 handgun for this birthday this year?!

And the article I read states that he reloaded 5 TIMES during the shooting as victims pleaded with him. How did his little ass not get tackled the first time he was empty?!
      06-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #25
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
And the article I read states that he reloaded 5 TIMES during the shooting as victims pleaded with him. How did his little ass not get tackled the first time he was empty?!
Because real life isn't like movies. People, just like any other living thing, have a fight or flight trigger. He didn't bust into a building with a bunch of MMA fighters and trained Marines, he barged into a building with men and women (and possibly children) of all ages.

Whenever I think of badasses who'd fight a gun man unarmed, your weeknight church going crowd doesn't register in my head as the defining demographic.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #26
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Because real life isn't like movies. People, just like any other living thing, have a fight or flight trigger. He didn't bust into a building with a bunch of MMA fighters and trained Marines, he barged into a building with men and women (and possibly children) of all ages.

Whenever I think of badasses who'd fight a gun man unarmed, your weeknight church going crowd doesn't register in my head as the defining demographic.
I was Marine and I would have been running like a little bitch. You are trained to take mother fuckers down with surgical precision BUT with a rifle. When I was in we also got a ton of LINE training, which is great in CQ against an UNARMED opponent(s). When your opponent has gun and you don't, the only thing you can do is pray he has really bad aim, and that you made it right with God because you are about to meet him.

BTW someone with weapons training can reload a hand gun in like a split second, if his magazines are in close proximity. So yeah unless you are Superman or Flash there is no way in hell you're gonna tackle the dude.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #27
Patrick303
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche Taycan 4S

Garage List
Quote:

Ok, how about the 2nd or 3rd time he's empty? At that point it wasn't "fight or flight" it was "fight or wait your turn". It had to be obvious that he wasn't going to stop.

And it's unfortunate that no one else was armed. They could have potentially minimized the damage. I always have my handgun with me unless I'm going somewhere that doesn't allow it.
      06-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #28
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ok, how about the 2nd or 3rd time he's empty? At that point it wasn't "fight or flight" it was "fight or wait your turn". It had to be obvious that he wasn't going to stop.

And it's unfortunate that no one else was armed. They could have potentially minimized the damage. I always have my handgun with me unless I'm going somewhere that doesn't allow it.
It's easy to say that from the comfort of the couch. It's a whole different ball game when you're thrown into the arena. The human mind is a lot more complex than that. For instance in WW2 Nazis would routinely round up civilians for executions as reprisal for resistance. The civilians would be rounded up and marched to their execution sites without resisting. Why? Because when you are unarmed and there is a gun pointed at you there is not a fucking thing you can do except hope that your death will be quick; it's what you can call life's unfortunate checkmate.

This is why in bootcamp they stress that you NEVER, EVER drop your rifle because without it you are just a target.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #29
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
At that point it wasn't "fight or flight" it was "fight or wait your turn".
Unfortunately, it's probably safe to say that most church-goers are not the "fight" type.

Quote:
Wolves hunt sheep. They look for soft targets which maximizes their probability of success. High density gatherings like church services, malls, large gatherings...they're prime targets. If you have the ability and capacity to defend yourself and others, it would be silly not to be armed where ever legal.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #30
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
And his trial won't start till about 2018 or 2019. He may get death penalty. If so, by the time they execute him, it'll probably be 2030.
This is the infuriating horseshit that I can't stand here!!! I am confident that if we inacted "public torture and execution" for heinous and violent crimes such as this, a vast majority would cease! Your thoughts?
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #31
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
It's easy to say that from the comfort of the couch. It's a whole different ball game when you're thrown into the arena. The human mind is a lot more complex than that. For instance in WW2 Nazis would routinely round up civilians for executions as reprisal for resistance. The civilians would be rounded up and marched to their execution sites without resisting. Why? Because when you are unarmed and there is a gun pointed at you there is not a fucking thing you can do except hope that your death will be quick; it's what you can call life's unfortunate checkmate.

This is why in bootcamp they stress that you NEVER, EVER drop your rifle because without it you are just a target.
When Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot at the event in Arizona, apparently what stopped the carnage from being even worse was that when the crazy gunman emptied his first magazine, he had issues and fumbled with getting trying to get the second one in.

At that point he was tackled by some brave people in the crowd. I guess they realized they had a tiny window of time where he effectively didnt have a loaded gun, but rather a couple of pieces of metal in his hand. Also, they were apparently right next to him. If the reload is executed well, and/or the shooter is out of arms reach, then it's a whole other level of brave to try and approach and tackle an armed nutjob who has already shown he has no apprehension about pulling the trigger.
      06-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #32
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I am confident that if we inacted "public torture and execution" for heinous and violent crimes such as this, a vast majority would cease! Your thoughts?
Like in Saudi Arabia? China?

No...hate, violence, and mental disorder are a part of the human condition and has been around since there were humans. No legislation or puntative threats will prevent evil from living among us.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #33
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Kids are all kinds of messed up these days. Our society has dealt them difficult hands and i'm glad i didn't grow up and later than i did.

Quote:

People still ask why I carry in church. Because hate knows no bounds.
      06-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #34
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is the infuriating horseshit that I can't stand here!!! I am confident that if we inacted "public torture and execution" for heinous and violent crimes such as this, a vast majority would cease! Your thoughts?
IMHO, public torture and execution only works as a deterrent for the evil people who still have enough sanity left to posses a self-preservation instinct.

Sadly I think it wont make a bit of difference to deter those who are totally nuts, and may be bent on going out themselves in a "blaze of glory" anyways, so the torture and execution will never come to pass for them.

I have to say I was surprised to hear they got him alive.
      06-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #35
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Kids are all kinds of messed up these days. Our society has dealt them difficult hands
...and parent's are in part, responsible. Sorry for going OT.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #36
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post

Yup.. And wouldn't be suprised if the kid has some Waffen-SS and swastika posters hanging in his room. And probably had a giant size poster of Hitler tossing up his salute, while rocking his Sunday's finest, hanging over his bed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #37
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
IMHO, public torture and execution only works as a deterrent for the evil people who still have enough sanity left to posses a self-preservation instinct.

Sadly I think it wont make a bit of difference to deter those who are totally nuts, and may be bent on going out themselves in a "blaze of glory" anyways, so the torture and execution will never come to pass for them.

I have to say I was surprised to hear they got him alive.
Agreed, typically these kind of psychopaths want to die in the act and have their name live on in infamy. Not sure that going back to public hangings, or drawing and quartering people will stop those who still want to kill. They will just continue to kill then kill themselves on their terms.
      06-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #38
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot at the event in Arizona, apparently what stopped the carnage from being even worse was that when the crazy gunman emptied his first magazine, he had issues and fumbled with getting trying to get the second one in.

At that point he was tackled by some brave people in the crowd. I guess they realized they had a tiny window of time where he effectively didnt have a loaded gun, but rather a couple of pieces of metal in his hand. Also, they were apparently right next to him. If the reload is executed well, and/or the shooter is out of arms reach, then it's a whole other level of brave to try and approach and tackle an armed nutjob who has already shown he has no apprehension about pulling the trigger.
To your point, most people who are doing this haven't necessary trained for it. They may have gone to the shooting range, they may be proficient with a weapon, but chances are they have never carried out any killings prior to their snapping point. They also can be so intently focused on their evil plan that they may be affected by tunnel vision while in the act. Because of these things coupled with the likelihood of these people having a cowardly character, a direct action against them tends to end the ordeal.
      06-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #39
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post

Don't be sorry, i'll and many others will stand next to you holding the same sign.
      06-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #40
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Agreed, typically these kind of psychopaths want to die in the act and have their name live on in infamy. Not sure that going back to public hangings, or drawing and quartering people will stop those who still want to kill. They will just continue to kill then kill themselves on their terms.
And the damn media helps them in their quest to be infamous. While he was still on the loose, I get publishing his name and photo was necessary, but once in custody, I'd prefer to see any mention of his name or photo stop completely. Every little bit helps to reduce their ranking in future search engine queries. Just refer to them as the loser/coward who did x....
      06-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #41
C5driver
Major
Rep

Ironically, some of the most socially responsible acts (where legal) would be to get professional training with a recognized school, being armed (always), and living in condition yellow.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #42
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
And the damn media helps them in their quest to be infamous
The 'media' has become white noise
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #43
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Probably, still innocent until proven guilty. Plus this whole thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth...s_Constitution
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #44
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well there you go...being all constitutional and civilized and shit
Appreciate 0