BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #4049
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Now on the lithium supply side, this is interesting:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...aldera-US.html
Appreciate 2
RM73004.00
      09-11-2023, 06:07 PM   #4050
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Now on the lithium supply side, this is interesting:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...aldera-US.html
"Lithium deposits are found mainly in old, dormant volcanic systems, particularly in what are called supervolcanoes or, more scientifically, large caldera systems."

Yes I saw that now we will have some environmentalist on EV environment destroyer combat.

Not to worry, this administration will sell these deposits and mining rights to China for pennies on the dollar in a week or two. Just like the Clinton's sold off 20% of America's uranium to the Russians.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN14194.50
      09-11-2023, 06:24 PM   #4051
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
We're a cat wisker away from going hot with Vlad.

Distract
Profit
Who cares about the rest of the equation

Watch.
      09-11-2023, 06:26 PM   #4052
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
"Lithium deposits are found mainly in old, dormant volcanic systems, particularly in what are called supervolcanoes or, more scientifically, large caldera systems."

Yes I saw that now we will have some environmentalist on EV environment destroyer combat.

Not to worry, this administration will sell these deposits and mining rights to China for pennies on the dollar in a week or two. Just like the Clinton's sold off 20% of America's uranium to the Russians.
Wait until ice are banned. Wait until Joe public with no homes to charge them has to buy ev. Wait until chaos starts. Then while the public goes after powers that be that made their lives miserable... be like this...apologies overused meme
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
      09-11-2023, 07:14 PM   #4053
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Wait until ice are banned. Wait until Joe public with no homes to charge them has to buy ev. Wait until chaos starts. Then while the public goes after powers that be that made their lives miserable... be like this...apologies overused meme
That's what keeps me up at night and why I try to go to church regularly and why I head out to the range at least three times a month.
The only thing I can control is my soul and my aim.
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN14194.50
M5Rick66289.00
      09-11-2023, 08:09 PM   #4054
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
ICE won't be banned. Reality will set in about 3-5 years from now when the automakers tell regulators to go F-themselves because EVs aren't selling very well. BMW and Toyota have already hinted that EVs are not the future. We're already seeing an EV sales turn-down, largely because the ones that want EVs have bought them now. And then there's the crowd that doesn't care what they drive as long as it's affordable and easy to maintain. An EV is not that type of vehicle, largely thanks to purchase price and the whole issue with charging if you don't own a home or live somewhere with excellent charging availability. And then there's the crowd that are opposed to EVs for various reasons.

Out of the hundreds of people in my family and my friends, co-workers, and acquaintances that live in metro and rural areas of KS, MO, IL, GA, SC, NC, OK, HI, and TX, I have TWO friends with EVs. Two. That tells you something.
M5Rick66289.00
      09-11-2023, 08:15 PM   #4055
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
ICE won't be banned. Reality will set in about 3-5 years from now when the automakers tell regulators to go F-themselves because EVs aren't selling very well. BMW and Toyota have already hinted that EVs are not the future. We're already seeing an EV sales turn-down, largely because the ones that want EVs have bought them now. And then there's the crowd that doesn't care what they drive as long as it's affordable and easy to maintain. An EV is not that type of vehicle, largely thanks to purchase price and the whole issue with charging if you don't own a home or live somewhere with excellent charging availability. And then there's the crowd that are opposed to EVs for various reasons.

Out of the hundreds of people in my family and my friends, co-workers, and acquaintances that live in metro and rural areas of KS, MO, IL, GA, SC, NC, OK, HI, and TX, I have TWO friends with EVs. Two. That tells you something.
I agree. There will be a stepping back as various pressures push voting and lobbying against these mandates. There is nothing wrong with a more balanced move forward that allows resources to be used more intelligently and technologies to mature.
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2023, 08:29 PM   #4056
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
2022 New Light-Vehicle Sales top 13.7 Million Units
Light trucks accounted for 79.2% of all new vehicles sold in 2022,
Crossovers remained the most popular segment, representing 45.2% of all new light-vehicles sold.
Alternative-fuel vehicles also gained market share in 2022, with sales of hybrids, plug-ins and BEVs accounting for 12.3% of all new vehicles sold.

https://www.nada.org/nada/nada-headl...-million-units

Now how many light truck buyer are going to buy a EV truck?
Here is the test: Did you have avocado toast today?
If yes go to the EV line.
If an animal died for your breakfast ignore the EV line and go straight to the trucks that can haul something.
Appreciate 3
      09-12-2023, 12:04 AM   #4057
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

With this talk of lithium supply and if there will be enough for all the ICE converted to EVs, one aspect hasn't been discussed yet. The affect on pricing and supply with things that operate off of lithium batteries....oh...your laptop, cell phone, quartz watches, etc, etc.

Just waiting for the gnashing of the teeth from everyone when the cell phone they're lusting after jumps up in price but you can't buy one because of a shortage of batteries.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh18665.50
M5Rick66289.00
      09-12-2023, 03:11 AM   #4058
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
While all those in gubment and fat cats are chauffeured around in armoured gas guzzlers exempt from everything.
Appreciate 7
KRS_SN14194.50
Efthreeoh18665.50
kyriian938.50
zx10guy5470.50
TboneS541149.00
      09-12-2023, 06:14 AM   #4059
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
While all those in gubment and fat cats are chauffeured around in armored gas guzzlers exempt from everything.
Not yet heard of the new Electric Cadillac US Presidential Limousine (The Electro Beast)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
      09-12-2023, 07:08 AM   #4060
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
That's what keeps me up at night and why I try to go to church regularly and why I head out to the range at least three times a month.
The only thing I can control is my soul and my aim.
Watch a few of these videos or listen to the stories about the challenges with the existing charging network. If you think road rage is bad wait until charger rage starts to be a thing.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
      09-12-2023, 07:17 AM   #4061
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Watch a few of these videos or listen to the stories about the challenges with the existing charging network. If you think road rage is bad wait until charger rage starts to be a thing.
Maybe already?
Tesla driver dies in fatal shooting at Supercharger station after ‘argument over charger’
A Tesla driver died in a fatal shooting at a Supercharger station in Denver, Colorado, over a dispute regarding charging their electric vehicles, according to the police.
Images from the scene show that the Supercharger station appeared to be full, with all stalls in use. Therefore, it’s possible that the fight started over who was going to be next to charge, but it’s still unclear.
Some have previously discussed the possibility of Tesla introducing an automated queuing system when a Supercharger is full.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/03/tesla...tion-argument/
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
      09-12-2023, 07:28 AM   #4062
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Maybe already?
Tesla driver dies in fatal shooting at Supercharger station after ‘argument over charger’
A Tesla driver died in a fatal shooting at a Supercharger station in Denver, Colorado, over a dispute regarding charging their electric vehicles, according to the police.
Images from the scene show that the Supercharger station appeared to be full, with all stalls in use. Therefore, it’s possible that the fight started over who was going to be next to charge, but it’s still unclear.
Some have previously discussed the possibility of Tesla introducing an automated queuing system when a Supercharger is full.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/03/tesla...tion-argument/
Can you imagine pulling into a charging station where some of the chargers aren't working and there's a few cars ahead of you so you're looking at hours before you can get back on the road?

The other thing that occurs to me is that as the charging network expands there is going to be more chargers in sketchy areas, I don't like the idea of sitting next to my car or in my car in some back lot for an hour waiting to get enough charge to get back on the road. Great opportunity for criminals to take advantage.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66289.00
zx10guy5470.50
      09-12-2023, 07:30 AM   #4063
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Wow, who could imagine that hanging out at a charging station could make you more susceptible to being a victim of crime?
According to an early 2022 Consumer Reports nationally representative survey of over 8,000 U.S. adults, of those who indicated charging considerations would hold them back from purchasing an EV, women were twice as likely as men to cite ‘concern about safety when I charge at a public charging station.’

Some of the most common places for EV charging today also happen to be the top locations in the U.S. for violent crimes, defined as homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and property crime (e.g., arson, burglary, larceny-theft and motor vehicle theft).

Charger security should be as much of a priority for the EV charging industry as reliability and interoperability. People shouldn’t feel like they need to own a handgun to safely operate an electric vehicle.

https://electricvehiclelove.com/2022...ern-for-women/
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2023, 08:04 AM   #4064
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
While all those in gubment and fat cats are chauffeured around in armoured gas guzzlers exempt from everything.
Rule for thee, not for me

Like majority of the EV-angelists here over the past 180 or so pages

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick66289.00
TboneS541149.00
      09-12-2023, 08:29 AM   #4065
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Wow, who could imagine that hanging out at a charging station could make you more susceptible to being a victim of crime?
According to an early 2022 Consumer Reports nationally representative survey of over 8,000 U.S. adults, of those who indicated charging considerations would hold them back from purchasing an EV, women were twice as likely as men to cite ‘concern about safety when I charge at a public charging station.’

Some of the most common places for EV charging today also happen to be the top locations in the U.S. for violent crimes, defined as homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and property crime (e.g., arson, burglary, larceny-theft and motor vehicle theft).

Charger security should be as much of a priority for the EV charging industry as reliability and interoperability. People shouldn’t feel like they need to own a handgun to safely operate an electric vehicle.

https://electricvehiclelove.com/2022...ern-for-women/
There is a solution for women and all people worried about being bullied or attacked by EV charger thugs..it's simple, hand the EV back and get a gas car
Appreciate 4
      09-12-2023, 08:31 AM   #4066
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Without breathing armed security at some of these 'future' charge stations, many will be nicknamed Mark and look like ducks sitting.

E.Z. Pickens
      09-12-2023, 09:23 AM   #4067
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
The Hits just keep coming:
Copper Thieves Are Cutting Electric Car Charging Cables and Stealing Them
“They actually cut it while it was charging somebody’s car," an employee at a targeted business told Motherboard.
EV charging cables are thick and heavily insulated for safety reasons, but they can be cut with the proper tools. Thieves then either take the entire cable with them or strip them of the copper on site.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkgk...-stealing-them

The EV folks will be buy anytime now to tell us this is an example of recycling. Stolen copper will become the EV wiring of the future.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
      09-12-2023, 09:31 AM   #4068
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Biden Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm had a rocky electric vehicle tour that included a confrontation with a family who called the police on her staff over a charging station standoff.

Granholm’s staff got into a tiff with an unhappy family earlier this summer after her team tried to hold an electric vehicle charging spot by parking a gas car there, according to NPR. With a baby in the vehicle on a hot summer’s day, the family reportedly decided to call the authorities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...648d3218&ei=14

It's going to get ugly as more and more types of people switch over.
Appreciate 4
kyriian938.50
M5Rick66289.00
      09-12-2023, 10:03 AM   #4069
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
The Hits just keep coming:
Copper Thieves Are Cutting Electric Car Charging Cables and Stealing Them
“They actually cut it while it was charging somebody’s car," an employee at a targeted business told Motherboard.
EV charging cables are thick and heavily insulated for safety reasons, but they can be cut with the proper tools. Thieves then either take the entire cable with them or strip them of the copper on site.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkgk...-stealing-them

The EV folks will be buy anytime now to tell us this is an example of recycling. Stolen copper will become the EV wiring of the future.
We need the Flux Capacitor ASAP. Banana peels and aluminum cans for fuel🤡🤡🤪🤪. Where we are going, we don’t need roads. Doc Fucking Brown⚡️⚡️⚡️
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2023, 10:17 AM   #4070
M5Rick
General
Rep

Meanwhile back in blighty, we have a problem with a mini ster, all sixty inches of him, apparently he's 'committed' through his steamed up glasses.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2391...over-chargers/
Appreciate 2