BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-01-2023, 06:38 AM   #3829
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I have a sub to the WSJ so don’t know if this link will work.

It’s a very realistic look at the challenges for California’s attempt to mandate an EV trucking transition. I don’t see them getting where they want on anything resembling their present timeline.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...pos_2#cxrecs_s
Maybe cut and paste the text for those of us without a sub to WSJ.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 06:55 AM   #3830
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Text added
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 07:02 AM   #3831
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
I have a sub to the WSJ so don’t know if this link will work
Thanks, yes the article is behind the pay wall.
Califorian's are just down right stupid and I am at a point that I don't give a dam what befalls them. EV's are bad enough for the environment but Heavy Trucks with multiple huge battery packs is way worse. If you are electing ideologues with no grasp of reality, then you deserve what you get. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Couple points:
Tesla Semi's battery weighs somewhere around 10,000 lbs
Anybody got a clue about stopping a heaver Semi Truck?
Electric vehicles suffer range loss during the winter.
Electric vehicles suffer range loss during the summer.
No viable way to recycle these massive batteries.
Trucking companies will just leave California along with most business and and many intelligent people.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick66289.00
zx10guy5470.50
KRS_SN14194.50
      09-01-2023, 07:13 AM   #3832
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
And it begins.
Bank to Stop Giving Loans to Fossil Fuel Cars
From 2025, customers of Bank Australia will no longer get funding to buy new cars that run on fossil fuels.
So now banks are beginning to decide what cars we can buy and cannot buy under the excuse of climate change. Sounds more like CLIMATE COMMUNISM to me, or perhaps CLIMATE FASCISM in this case where a bank is behind it.
But it would definitely not surprise me if the ESG score system is a major factor in their decision, I am sure they will get a very good ESG score out of this…

If you don’t know what ESG is, it is essentially a score given to large corporations based on how much they follow the globalist agenda. The more obedient, the better score they get.

https://petersweden.substack.com/p/bank-loan-cars

I've moved my business and personal banking away from Bank of America over their ESG and attacks on small business. I moved my personal investments out of Blackrock because of Larry Fink's ESG push. In both cases the end result was better service and better return on investments.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick66289.00
KRS_SN14194.50
      09-01-2023, 07:44 AM   #3833
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Califorian's are just down right stupid and I am at a point that I don't give a dam what befalls them. EV's are bad enough for the environment but Heavy Trucks with multiple huge battery packs is way worse. If you are electing ideologues with no grasp of reality, then you deserve what you get. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Couple points:
Trucking companies will just leave California along with most business and and many intelligent people.
The sad reality is what California does will likely drive up the cost for the rest of the US due to the volume of import/export through Cali ports and the forced change to EV Trucks to move the goods to and from the ports.
Appreciate 4
gblansten2385.00
M5Rick66289.00
KRS_SN14194.50
      09-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #3834
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
This dumbass thread still going on?

How’s the ev transition looking now for the haters?

And I only took a break from this thread for one month or so and so much progresss.

Plaids are under 90k now.

Let’s swarm the streets with plaids!!!!! Elon power!
      09-01-2023, 08:13 AM   #3835
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Doors auto unlock with proximity and all of the torque is available at 0 rpms for getting away from zombie hordes. She probably doesn’t even have a Tesla since she said her car has run flats. I don’t get the competence vibe from that lady. She will be the first to die in any catastrophe regardless of the car she is driving.
Technically you can fit any tyre, even r/f's so long as it's the rim size and close to the J width of the wheel, so the LA woman could have had them on.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 08:44 AM   #3836
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
And it begins.
Bank to Stop Giving Loans to Fossil Fuel Cars
From 2025, customers of Bank Australia will no longer get funding to buy new cars that run on fossil fuels.
So now banks are beginning to decide what cars we can buy and cannot buy under the excuse of climate change. Sounds more like CLIMATE COMMUNISM to me, or perhaps CLIMATE FASCISM in this case where a bank is behind it.
But it would definitely not surprise me if the ESG score system is a major factor in their decision, I am sure they will get a very good ESG score out of this…

If you don’t know what ESG is, it is essentially a score given to large corporations based on how much they follow the globalist agenda. The more obedient, the better score they get.

https://petersweden.substack.com/p/bank-loan-cars

I've moved my business and personal banking away from Bank of America over their ESG and attacks on small business. I moved my personal investments out of Blackrock because of Larry Fink's ESG push. In both cases the end result was better service and better return on investments.
Fink and his pals may be the most soulless pedoghouls on the planet. Nothing but MORE makes them happy. Being bedmates with CCP is the cherry on top.
Billionaire punk arse bishes.

To Elons credit, he's one of the few big boys pushing back on all the creepshow crap.
      09-01-2023, 10:37 AM   #3837
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
This dumbass thread still going on?

How’s the ev transition looking now for the haters?

And I only took a break from this thread for one month or so and so much progresss.

Plaids are under 90k now.

Let’s swarm the streets with plaids!!!!! Elon power!
Good to hear from you.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 10:41 AM   #3838
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Couple points:
I just posted up a reply on a video on Youtube concerning how jacked up Chicago is now. The creator said if people are able that they should get out of Chicago. I say differently and this applies to Californian's looking to leave the state. They need to keep their asses there to fix the mess they created by voting in these idiots. Because I would venture a large portion of these people leaving will be taking their woke ideology with them to ruin another locality they settle in. They had their chances with a number of high profile recall attempts and those failed. I wonder why?

Last edited by zx10guy; 09-01-2023 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 3
      09-01-2023, 11:04 AM   #3839
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
Austin was invaded and is now officially a shithole. I won't even visit.
jmack548.50
      09-01-2023, 12:42 PM   #3840
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
One trucking company wanted to install charging stations for 30 trucks at a terminal in Joliet, Illinois, only to be told by local officials they would draw more power than the entire city. In January northern California utility
PG&E
told a charging provider that one of its large fleet customers couldn’t charge its trucks on summer afternoons owing to a power crunch.

It gets more ridiculous. As of last month, there were fewer than 700 chargers at trucking depots, yet California’s energy commission estimates 157,000 more will be needed for medium- and heavy-duty trucks by 2030. This would require more than 450 to be constructed each week, while grid upgrades to install chargers could take five to 10 years at minimum.

Batteries can power trucks for about 150 to 330 miles between charging, which can take five to eight hours. Longer battery ranges require bigger and heavier batteries, which add more weight and reduce payload. That means more trucks and drivers will be needed, which will increase shipping costs.

As I pointed out about 40 pages ago, the power needed to recharge a Tesla Semi is more than the total power consumption of an average house in the US needs for an entire month. Multiply that by the number of trucks needed to replace existing Diesel platforms, and the frequency with which they will need recharged, and you start to see the problem.

Never mind the current and recent/historic rolling blackouts and calls for curtailment already happening.

Not only is the demand substantial, it's rapid. Instant and prolonged brownouts in neighborhoods will become normal. Imagine a world where freight can't be hauled on hot days to to grid instability. I mean, who need a steady supply chain? Covid supply chain interruptions were great for the economy, right?

Quote:
Drivers will have no choice but to charge their trucks at night, though this is when many prefer to drive because there’s less traffic. That means more trucks will be on the road during the day, causing more congestion during work-time commutes.
Night charging = using almost entirely carbon based power sources.

Missing the point of the great EV transition ...

Quote:
A Southern California Edison executive recently said some fleets are powering chargers using diesel generators so electric trucks don’t go unused. This captures the folly of California’s climate policies. Who cares if policies don’t reduce CO2 emissions or improve public health as long as regulators claim they do?
Do they still get to claim having a "green fleet" because they are using EV's? they probably do...
Appreciate 6
gblansten2385.00
M5Rick66289.00
KRS_SN14194.50
Efthreeoh18665.50
      09-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #3841
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
No project is too stupid for the Greenie Grifters to force on us. How is that high speed rail thing doing? The 113-billion-and-counting Bullet Turkey.
Appreciate 3
      09-01-2023, 01:18 PM   #3842
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Best EV I've been in so far.
Is that the automotive equivalent of being the skinny kid at fat camp?
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #3843
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, no one panic, but I test drove a Mach E Select today. I liked it a lot. Best EV I've been in so far. Way nicer than any of the 3 Tesla I've been in and much nicer than the Bolt I test drove back in 2017.

Now if it could have a 400 mile range and recharge to 100% in 5 minutes...

Oh, and that friken TV screen.
Liar.

If you had actually been in an EV you wouldn't have posted that, because you would be....

Appreciate 2
      09-01-2023, 02:41 PM   #3844
M5Rick
General
Rep

Talking about crispy
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=la...id:qqRIf4uP1W8
Appreciate 3
      09-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #3845
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.33]
My biggest concern is battery degradation. Not being able to charge your vehicle to 100% because the more you charge it, the more it degrades is asinine.
The equivalent ICE would be your gas tank getting physically smaller the more you drive your car.
If you don't drive a Tesla, you're also pretty much screwed as the charging infrastructure is a complete mess.
This is a fraction of the issues you can expect when charging outside of your house.

EVs are a novel concept and I think for some families, they certainly do make sense. The lack of driver involvement is a deal breaker for me. I can sort of see getting one as a third vehicle, but there's no real use case for me.
M5Rick66289.00
      09-01-2023, 05:05 PM   #3846
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
EVs are a novel concept and I think for some families, they certainly do make sense. The lack of driver involvement is a deal breaker for me. I can sort of see getting one as a third vehicle, but there's no real use case for me.
As long as they can accept the damage they are doing to the environment and not think they are saving the planet it's on them.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
      09-01-2023, 05:24 PM   #3847
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Talking about crispy
Ouch! I'm not thinking that's going to buff out?
Considering all the floods and tropical storms, I would expect a number of Crispy EV's in the coming weeks.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
      09-01-2023, 11:28 PM   #3848
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Where do you live that the only renewable is solar?
      09-01-2023, 11:35 PM   #3849
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Where do you live that the only renewable is solar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Didn't think chad86tsi would leave openings that obvious if i had learned anything thru these posts.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 05:53 AM   #3850
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Ouch! I'm not thinking that's going to buff out?
Considering all the floods and tropical storms, I would expect a number of Crispy EV's in the coming weeks.
Yep definitely totalled, as I was saying you won't know when, you won't know where but of course some always know better until
Appreciate 1