BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-21-2023, 03:09 PM   #3653
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Duly noted, but if you care about that profit you have made, you might want to start taking notice of these factors so you can get out at the next peak. Each peak was less than the prior peak going back several years, and lacking some new breakthrough which seems unlikely as of late, they are facing a declining market position (as evidenced by their recent drastic actions). This is not a tesla-bash reply, it's a comment to help you maximize your return. I don't care, I have no holdings in Tesla and don't plan to any time soon. A stock only makes you a profit when you sell, and only when you sell for a profit at that.
I’ve made a nice chunk from Tesla. I’ve cashed out a few times over the years. If the company went bankrupt tomorrow, I’m still up. It’s been a free ride for some
Time now. I agree with your statement though. It’s only a profit if you see. Some people hang
On to long. That’s why it’s like gambling. You never know when is the time. Just need to roll the dice and don’t look back:-)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 03:23 PM   #3654
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I have read very little of this thread, so maybe this question has been asked and answered already. I live in Chicago proper. I think it’s a pretty fair estimate that 50% (possibly more) of cars here use street parking. What are the EV proponents proposing for charging these cars? I have never seen this question addressed or even asked in the media or anywhere else that pushes EVs.

I live in a condo building. Our building is relatively new, but it wasn’t built with charging electric cars in mind. We have a 180 car parking garage. We have one condo owner who has a Tesla. The condo association agreed to allow him to install a charging station. Fortunately for him his parking space is next to a column where his charger is mounted. Many of the parking spaces have no structure next to them where a charger could be mounted. I suppose a charger could be mounted on a stand installed at the front of the parking space. However, when the association allowed the installation of the charger for the one owner we were told by the electrician it was the only one our building’s infrastructure could support. There is no separate electric meter for his station, so he pays an estimation of what the electricity costs directly to the association. The association was told the building would require a $300,000 improvement in the electrical infrastructure to support the installation of charging stations throughout the garage. That’s just the basic electrical infrastructure. It does not include the cost of the installation of the actual charging stations.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 08-21-2023 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN14235.00
M5Rick66602.50
      08-21-2023, 03:41 PM   #3655
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I have read very little of this thread, so maybe this question has been asked and answered already. I live in Chicago proper. I think it’s a pretty fair estimate that 50% (possibly more) of cars here use street parking. What are the EV proponents proposing for charging these cars? I have never seen this question addressed or even asked in the media or anywhere else that pushes EVs.

I live in a condo building. Our building is relatively new, but it wasn’t built with charging electric cars in mind. We have a 180 car parking garage. We have one condo owner who has a Tesla. The condo association agreed to allow him install a charging station. Fortunately for him his parking space is next to a column where his charger is mounted. Many of the parking spaces have no structure next to them where a charger could be mounted. I suppose a charger could be mounted on a stand installed at the front of the parking space. However, when the association allowed the installation of the charger for the one owner we were told by the electrician it was the only one our building’s infrastructure could support. There is no separate electric meter for his station, so he pays an estimation of what the electricity costs directly to the association. The association was told the building would require a $300,000 improvement in the electrical infrastructure to support the installation of charging stations throughout the garage. That’s just the basic electrical infrastructure. It does not include the cost of the installation of the actual charging stations.
https://www.wired.com/story/wait-so-...rge-their-evs/

Tough topic and great question. It comes up often and is obviously completely legit. The above article addresses it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 04:22 PM   #3656
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
I’ve made a nice chunk from Tesla. I’ve cashed out a few times over the years. If the company went bankrupt tomorrow, I’m still up. It’s been a free ride for some
Time now. I agree with your statement though. It’s only a profit if you see. Some people hang
On to long. That’s why it’s like gambling. You never know when is the time. Just need to roll the dice and don’t look back:-)
It's time to move on this one is pale n stale if ur holding it...now with your wisdom of having lucked out tell us what's the next big un so we save our money meant for ev and use it to cash out
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #3657
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
It's time to move on this one is pale n stale if ur holding it...now with your wisdom of having lucked out tell us what's the next big un so we save our money meant for ev and use it to cash out
Lol. I wish I knew my friend. Like I posted before, I miss way more than I hit. I have a shit ton of Xpeng. Hopefully someday it takes off. I never really tell peeps what to and what not to buy. I don’t want to be the reason somebody loses their cash. I wish you luck on whatever you go after. Let me know if you have any
Good leads
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN14235.00
      08-21-2023, 05:17 PM   #3658
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
https://www.wired.com/story/wait-so-...rge-their-evs/

Tough topic and great question. It comes up often and is obviously completely legit. The above article addresses it.
So, I notice that article has lots of ifs, maybes, and coulds, but no concrete solutions. Lots of pie in the sky ideas. It kind of makes me wonder if they have ever actually looked at the street parking in Chicago or maybe New York City. The cars are packed in like sardines.

Of the three largest U.S. cities New York has the largest public transportation system and Chicago has the second largest system and the second highest ridership after New York City. And yet, in Chicago there are more neighborhoods that don’t have really easy access to the L than there are neighborhoods that do. So, despite the thoughts of encouraging car owners to give up their cars and take public transportation I can assure them that is not going to happen. And in the city big parking lots where people might leave their cars to charge do not exist even if people were willing to use them. Basically, the only truly feasible way you are going to get street parkers to charge their electric cars is to have free standing charging stations up and down the streets.

Thinking of improving and/or expanding public transportation in Chicago. Right this minute the Chicago Transportation Authority is in the midst of rehabbing a two mile span of its 100 year old infrastructure at a cost of $2.1 billion. The CTA has 224 miles of train tracks. This includes completely new infrastructure and rebuilding four train stations. A proposed plan to extend the Red Line to serve more of the south side of Chicago has a projected cost of $3.6 billion. And, of course, we all know what would happen to that number if they actually did it. Crain’s Chicago Business says it’s not worth it. Too much cost and not enough gain. https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opin...%20the%20world.

How the EV folks think all of the infrastructure to make their grand EV future feasible is going to be paid for is just beyond me.

Last edited by tturedraider; 08-21-2023 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN14235.00
M5Rick66602.50
kyriian938.50
      08-21-2023, 05:23 PM   #3659
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, I notice that article has lots of ifs, maybes, and coulds, but no concrete solutions. Lots of pie in the sky ideas. It kind of makes me wonder if they have ever actually looked at the street parking in Chicago or maybe New York City. The cars are packed in like sardines.

Of the three largest U.S. cities New York has the largest system and Chicago has the second largest system and the second highest ridership after New York City. And yet, in Chicago there are more neighborhoods that don’t have really easy access to the L than there are neighborhoods that do. So, despite the thoughts of encouraging car owners to give up their cars and take public transportation I can assure them that is not going to happen. And in the city big parking lots where people might leave their cars to charge do not exist even if people were willing to use them. Basically, the only truly feasible way you are going to get street parkers to charge their electric cars is to have free standing charging stations up and down the streets.

Thinking of improving and/or expanding public transportation in Chicago. Right this minute the Chicago Transportation Authority is in the midst of rehabbing a two mile span of its 100 year old infrastructure at a cost of $2.1 billion. The CTA has 224 miles of train tracks. This includes completely new infrastructure and rebuilding four train stations. A proposed plan to extend the Red Line to serve more of the south side of Chicago has a projected cost of $3.6 billion. And, of course, we all know what would happen to that number if they actually did it. Crain’s Chicago Business says it’s not worth it. Too much cost and not enough gain. https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opin...%20the%20world.

How the EV folks think all of the infrastructure to make their grand EV future feasible is going to be paid for is just beyond me.
Definitely a challenge. More in city superchargers and incentives for employers like hospitals to offer charging would help some use cases.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 05:34 PM   #3660
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
Quote:
Lol. I wish I knew my friend. Like I posted before, I miss way more than I hit. I have a shit ton of Xpeng. Hopefully someday it takes off. I never really tell peeps what to and what not to buy. I don’t want to be the reason somebody loses their cash. I wish you luck on whatever you go after. Let me know if you have any
Good leads
I wish you well too..I've never invested in shares..with great risk can come great reward I guess.. xpeng hasn't really taken off yet.. so good luck to you.. if it does take off remember my good wishes
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 06:00 PM   #3661
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Here the local convenience stores have Tesla superchargers. I went in around 6:00am a couple weeks ago and the convenience store was empty except for staff. (today's students don't get up that early). There were 7 EV's on the Tesla superchargers and not a person to be found. My conclusion is the students leave the EV's on the chargers and get a ride to and from their apartments.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 06:01 PM   #3662
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I wish you well too..I've never invested in shares..with great risk can come great reward I guess.. xpeng hasn't really taken off yet.. so good luck to you.. if it does take off remember my good wishes
Will do ninja.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 06:02 PM   #3663
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Here the local convenience stores have Tesla superchargers. I went in around 6:00am a couple weeks ago and the convenience store was empty except for staff. (today's students don't get up that early). There were 7 EV's on the Tesla superchargers and not a person to be found. My conclusion is the students leave the EV's on the chargers and get a ride to and from their apartments.
One way to turn over those chargers is to have fees for non-charging time.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2023, 08:28 PM   #3664
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
New business opportunity: Uber EV rides to and from charging stations?
It can be very expensive to save the planet
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66602.50
      08-22-2023, 03:17 AM   #3665
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
One way to turn over those chargers is to have fees for non-charging time.
That's about to be brought out over here for charger hoggers.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 04:29 AM   #3666
M5Rick
General
Rep

Goeff explains what some EV buyers don't want to know.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5475.00
      08-22-2023, 06:43 AM   #3667
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Good article, nice chart but choosing a Ford F150 is stacking the deck in favor of EV's

Is it cheaper to refuel your EV battery or gas tank? We did the math in all 50 states.
The basic argument is that electricity prices are so high it has erased the advantage of recharging over refilling. This cuts to the heart of why many people buy EVs, according to the Pew Research Center: 70 percent of potential EV buyers report “saving money on gas” as among their top reasons.
The winner? The EV — barely. The savings were modest because of the substantial premium for using fast chargers, typically three to four times more expensive than charging at home.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...e-vs-gasoline/

Adding pending EV road taxes.
Higher tire wear for EV's .
Higher depreciation for EV's and the answer is quite different.
And EVs generally have a higher sticker price than a comparable ICE car. The discounts are certainly helping reverse that. But battery life is a concern for me. I realize there are lots of old Priuses and older Model Ss out there though.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 08:55 AM   #3668
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
When you buy a used ICE you can do a compression test as part of a PPI and have a really good idea of the condition of the car.

When you buy a used EV do you know?
How many charge cycles?
What were the average battery discharge rates?
How many fast charges were used?
If the car was outdoor in hot weather?
If the Batteries were regularly charged beyond 80%?
If the Batteries were regularly discharged beyond 20%?
https://www.cars.com/articles/your-g...vation-446126/

I have never seen anything about internal resistance being checked in EV batteries. There is a lot of information on this in the radio controlled racing. IR is used to determine the life and quality of a LiPo battery

For those who read science:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...5248472100305X
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66602.50
KRS_SN14235.00
      08-22-2023, 10:07 AM   #3669
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
And now California, the EV mecca, just got flooded out... Waiting for drone footage of flaming Teslas.
When all these flood damaged California EV's get totaled, your insurance will go up again!
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN14235.00
      08-22-2023, 12:33 PM   #3670
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
When all these flood damaged California EV's get totaled, your insurance will go up again!
Isnt Cali going to break off at some point and float out in the Ocean?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:53 PM   #3671
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Isnt Cali going to break off at some point and float out in the Ocean?
We can only hope.

08-22-2023, 01:05 PM   #3672
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
And now California, the EV mecca, just got flooded out...

Waiting for drone footage of flaming Teslas.
You read my mind
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN14235.00
      08-24-2023, 03:12 AM   #3673
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I read elsewhere they are already 30% up on average in some States.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 07:37 AM   #3674
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I broke down and bought a Tesla Y. We have 5 cars and it just makes sense to have 1 EV amongst them as a hedge against high fuel prices. It take a little getting used to how it drives and does not handle like a 340i but boy it sure accelerates like one. As far as charging, it only makes sense to make sure you can charge at home at a high rate with 40amps or more to retain your sanity because waiting at stations for long periods of time. Stations are few and far between and many of the ports are often times broken or down. Its just frustrating.
Appreciate 1