BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

03-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #24509
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

My Trump for President in 2016 hat is on it's way. It's a Nike.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #24510
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I almost forgot to tell shoei and EstorilM that a selfie stick was in the goodie bag from this week's golf tournament. Expect PMs soon.
      03-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #24511
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Today was a good day
Attached Images

I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 4
      03-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #24512
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

@Lups I was helping my dad rearrange some of the electronics on our slot car track and noticed one of his old slot cars. It never ran good and he's been trying to Franken-build something out of it. I saw that I was sponsored by milk and of course, thought of you. I figured I'd post a picture of it for you and then I noticed the Okobank 1988 on it. Lol Poetic.

Don't mind the Porsche.... Alcohol and milk. Staples for Anna. Haha
Attached Images

03-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #24513
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Happe Fryday motha f's.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #24514
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
@Lups I was helping my dad rearrange some of the electronics on our slot car track and noticed one of his old slot cars. It never ran good and he's been trying to Franken-build something out of it. I saw that I was sponsored by milk and of course, thought of you. I figured I'd post a picture of it for you and then I noticed the Okobank 1988 on it. Lol Poetic.

Your dad was hardcore about this stuff. Love the double yellows he painted around the slots. Very cool. Also typical of BMW/Porsche drivers - always over the double yellows.
      03-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #24515
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

It is not very often that I feel jealousy, envy and general hatred but I am feeling all three after seeing these amazing cars!!!

What an amazing setup!! Thanks for sharing, Mr Tonka
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #24516
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Your dad was hardcore about this stuff. Love the double yellows he painted around the slots. Very cool. Also typical of BMW/Porsche drivers - always over the double yellows.
Well, the custom routed wooden track was my idea and design. He and i constructed it to make it functional and he, with all his train modeling experience, threw together some scenery.

The double yellows are actually copper strips which provide the power to the cars.

I thought i'd posted this stuff before.... maybe before you weren't milling around in the OT at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
It is not very often that I feel jealousy, envy and general hatred but I am feeling all three after seeing these amazing cars!!!

What an amazing setup!! Thanks for sharing, Mr Tonka
Sorry.... and... my pleasure?.?.? lol

Again, i thought i'd shared more about the track before. Most people dismiss it as child's play and when i invite friends to race, they all say "yeah that'd be great! let me check on my son's schedule." Well, it's not really suited for kids. It's a pretty challenging track and like real tracks, you have to understand chassis dynamics, how you have to brake before the turns, when to apply power, how much brake depending on how long you wait to brake, etc.... There is a lot of tuning that goes into the cars as well.

Clearly at 1/32 scale, aerodynamics don't play enough of a role in set up and conventional suspension isn't there. But having separate motor pods that are adjustable, letting the body roll separately from the axels can make a big difference. The biggest tuning difference come with magnets. We applied a magnetic primer under the final surface coats of paint. That way you can affix magnets to the under side of the car for additional downforce and traction. Jut changing a magnet position or size can create gain or loss of as much as a second a lap. It's a lot of fun and those who partake tend to get addicted and purchase their own cars to race with.

Here are some pics of the track.

Banked portion of the Nurburgring carousel replica. Note how the two lanes are close together preventing any passing at this part of the track.

After adding the elevation changes...

With magnetic primer...

With surface painted and sanded. Lanes colored and starting to lay the copper tape.

Finished surface, taped and ready to race.

Starting some scenery...

Another squeezed corner....

One of 3 cabinets of cars.

Almost the whole track in one shot. It's 127' to 129' long depending on the lane you're in. Lap times range from 11sec to 15sec depending on which car and who's driving.

video of a nice drift. lol

03-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #24517
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The double yellows are actually copper strips which provide the power to the cars.
Nice. Thanks for teaching a n00b. I thought the conductors were in the routed channel. Derp!
      03-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #24518
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, the custom routed wooden track was my idea and design. He and i constructed it to make it functional and he, with all his train modeling experience, threw together some scenery.

I thought i'd posted this stuff before.... maybe before you weren't milling around in the OT at that time.

Sorry.... and... my pleasure?.?.? lol

Again, i thought i'd shared more about the track before. Most people dismiss it as child's play and when i invite friends to race, they all say "yeah that'd be great! let me check on my son's schedule." Well, it's not really suited for kids. It's a pretty challenging track and like real tracks, you have to understand chassis dynamics, how you have to brake before the turns, when to apply power, how much brake depending on how long you wait to brake, etc.... There is a lot of tuning that goes into the cars as well.

Clearly at 1/32 scale, aerodynamics don't play enough of a role in set up and conventional suspension isn't there. But having separate motor pods that are adjustable, letting the body roll separately from the axels can make a big difference. The biggest tuning difference come with magnets. We applied a magnetic primer under the final surface coats of paint. That way you can affix magnets to the under side of the car for additional downforce and traction. Jut changing a magnet position or size can create gain or loss of as much as a second a lap. It's a lot of fun and those who partake tend to get addicted and purchase their own cars to race with.

Here are some pics of the track.

Banked portion of the Nurburgring carousel replica. Note how the two lanes are close together preventing any passing at this part of the track.

After adding the elevation changes...

With magnetic primer...

With surface painted and sanded. Lanes colored and starting to lay the copper tape.

Finished surface, taped and ready to race.

Starting some scenery...

Another squeezed corner....

One of 3 cabinets of cars.

Almost the whole track in one shot. It's 127' to 129' long depending on the lane you're in. Lap times range from 11sec to 15sec depending on which car and who's driving.

video of a nice drift. lol

As an official Trippelganger, with this post you just sent an invitation to jtodd_fl and me to visit you.

Again, there is not too much stuff that I am envious of but this just hit me square between the eyes!

The amount of detail and precision that went into this endeavor is simply astounding. Crap...another damn thing I want but don't have the room to build. Yet.

Where do you source the cars and is there a league of some sort that you participate in?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #24519
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Love your set up. I run 1:24 and it's as real as it gets. Tire selection is huge. The 1:24 are big enough that you can really see the dynamics. I run digital so I have lane changes and fuel stops, as well as adjustments for braking and accelerating. The cars get faster as fuel gets used. Timing is down to .001 sec. I am completely hooked. Unfortunately my job has me 600 miles away.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #24520
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
Love your set up. I run 1:24 and it's as real as it gets. Tire selection is huge. The 1:24 are big enough that you can really see the dynamics. I run digital so I have lane changes and fuel stops, as well as adjustments for braking and accelerating. The cars get faster as fuel gets used. Timing is down to .001 sec. I am completely hooked. Unfortunately my job has me 600 miles away.
This literally opened my eyes to a whole new level of this thing... holy.crap.
I literally think of this when I think of slot cars... I never knew. It's probably for the better - yet another thing to be an obsessive maniac over. I just don't have that kind of time dammit.
      03-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #24521
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #24522
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
As an official Trippelganger, with this post you just sent an invitation to jtodd_fl and me to visit you.

Again, there is not too much stuff that I am envious of but this just hit me square between the eyes!

The amount of detail and precision that went into this endeavor is simply astounding. Crap...another damn thing I want but don't have the room to build. Yet.

Where do you source the cars and is there a league of some sort that you participate in?
Of course! Even though it only has 4 lanes, the lap counting software will keep track of and rotate up to 8 racers in per race. It also rotates you from lane to lane so no one has the advantage of being in the "fast lane" the whole time. You let me know when you're coming. The track is always open!

This is a big track, bigger than most personal tracks. (so i'm told ) You can build a cool track on a 6x10 foot print. This one is about 10x20 ( a 5th spot in the garage that we enclosed and added AC to) All kinds of options for tracks. You can get pre-made modular plastic track, Best lane slot track, or do a custom routed one like this. Then there are digital or analog tracks/cars. We're running analog. When running digital, you can get the cars to change lanes with a push of a button on the controller that activates a flipper on the track shifting you into another lane.

The best lane track is a new interesting concept. You basically route out a racing line with outside lanes in the turns and straights that are conducive to passing. Then the computer, based on your lap speeds, determine whether or not to put you in a passing lane to get around the person in front of you. I've never experienced it other than watching a video, but i do find the concept interesting. Will make for more realistic racing scenarios.

The cars are on amazon, eBay, etc... but i generally get them from a slot car place online called professor motor. There is a commercial track some where around here, but the type of racing and cars used on commercial tracks don't really interest me. I like the scaled race cars using current or past livery schemes. There are a group of guys who have now set up a hand full of their cars to run on our track and they come over about 2 - 3 times a month. Just for a few hours each time. Some of the guys are questionable, lol but the local Porsche club mag just did a spread on the track and we picked up a couple of new guys who have already bought a few cars and are making regular appearances at the track.
      03-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #24523
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
I'll bring the gumbo!

I loved slot racing when I was young and would build some massive tracks in the formal dining area at home. No one ever walked through there so my brother and me could keep a track up for weeks as well as use furniture as 'design features'. Eventually we incorporated scale trains into the mix and had pretty awesome set-ups.

This is my kind of fun! And probably cheaper than another car. But not by much.

Quote:
Of course! Even though it only has 4 lanes, the lap counting software will keep track of and rotate up to 8 racers in per race. It also rotates you from lane to lane so no one has the advantage of being in the "fast lane" the whole time. You let me know when you're coming. The track is always open!

This is a big track, bigger than most personal tracks. (so i'm told ) You can build a cool track on a 6x10 foot print. This one is about 10x20 ( a 5th spot in the garage that we enclosed and added AC to) All kinds of options for tracks. You can get pre-made modular plastic track, Best lane slot track, or do a custom routed one like this. Then there are digital or analog tracks/cars. We're running analog. When running digital, you can get the cars to change lanes with a push of a button on the controller that activates a flipper on the track shifting you into another lane.

The best lane track is a new interesting concept. You basically route out a racing line with outside lanes in the turns and straights that are conducive to passing. Then the computer, based on your lap speeds, determine whether or not to put you in a passing lane to get around the person in front of you. I've never experienced it other than watching a video, but i do find the concept interesting. Will make for more realistic racing scenarios.

The cars are on amazon, eBay, etc... but i generally get them from a slot car place online called professor motor. There is a commercial track some where around here, but the type of racing and cars used on commercial tracks don't really interest me. I like the scaled race cars using current or past livery schemes. There are a group of guys who have now set up a hand full of their cars to run on our track and they come over about 2 - 3 times a month. Just for a few hours each time. Some of the guys are questionable, lol but the local Porsche club mag just did a spread on the track and we picked up a couple of new guys who have already bought a few cars and are making regular appearances at the track.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #24524
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
This literally opened my eyes to a whole new level of this thing... holy.crap.
I literally think of this when I think of slot cars... I never knew. It's probably for the better - yet another thing to be an obsessive maniac over. I just don't have that kind of time dammit.
That's pretty much what started it. When i was young my dad would get me one of those slot car tracks every Christmas. About 6 years ago, he surprised me by building a 1/32 plastic track in the garage and debuted it on Christmas day. Turned out to be a pretty big hit for the family and friends, so i suggested making a custom track. The day after Christmas 2 years later, we started construction. Took about 4 months to complete working on it 10 hours a week.

Most of the power supplies have variable voltage so you can run lower voltage for the kids. I think with a digital track, you can make those adjustments per controller or car even.

We have a set of digital wireless controllers which you can hook up to a pc to create 10 different throttle maps rather than just having a throttle sensitivity knob. Same thing for the braking. So yes, the rabbit hole goes deep, but it's a lot of fun. We were spending so much time out there in the beginning that i bought some anti fatigue carpet and installed it on the side of the drivers stations.
      03-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #24525
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can put two 1:24 scale cars on our track with two 1:32 cars, but just barely. You have to put the 24th scale cars on outer lanes and be very cautious when passing. The track is kind of tight even for 32nd scale cars, by design though. After a few more reverse polarity switches, we'll be able to run the track in reverse, which should add a new element for the track regulars.

My parents, in their old age, have decided to down size their home. My handicapped bother and he wife will be moving with them. They plan on buying a place and building a separate apartment for my brother and his wife. My dad plans on building a second floor above the apartment for a slot car track. So it looks like we may be building anther track in the future. I contemplated going digital, but since we have about $3,000 worth of analog cars, i'm thinking we'll be staying analog. But never say never i guess....
      03-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #24526
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:

Fucking epic!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 3
      03-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #24527
V2.0
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Happe Fryday motha f's.
Happay Frida, buddy. Is it NOT Cool to spell correctly now, like a bump fist or something?
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #24528
V2.0
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Fucking epic!!
Sup Anna?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #24529
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That's pretty much what started it. When i was young my dad would get me one of those slot car tracks every Christmas. About 6 years ago, he surprised me by building a 1/32 plastic track in the garage and debuted it on Christmas day. Turned out to be a pretty big hit for the family and friends, so i suggested making a custom track. The day after Christmas 2 years later, we started construction. Took about 4 months to complete working on it 10 hours a week.

Most of the power supplies have variable voltage so you can run lower voltage for the kids. I think with a digital track, you can make those adjustments per controller or car even.

We have a set of digital wireless controllers which you can hook up to a pc to create 10 different throttle maps rather than just having a throttle sensitivity knob. Same thing for the braking. So yes, the rabbit hole goes deep, but it's a lot of fun. We were spending so much time out there in the beginning that i bought some anti fatigue carpet and installed it on the side of the drivers stations.
So what do you now cherish most? The result or the process? That sounds like an amazing experience together.
      03-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #24530
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2.0 View Post
Sup Anna?
Nothing much, yesterday I crashed a car, and today I fed my hand to two dogs who's owners couldn't pull them apart. So business as usual...

Why did you get a ban?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread