BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

07-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
OMFG I'm gonna go bananas if one more person suggests the D40. For Christ sake it's like a 10 year old camera. Just because Ken freaking Rockwell said it's the best damn thing since slice bread doesn't mean that everyone starting out in photography should get a D40. There are so many new, nice, well-featured cameras out there that can kick the D40's butt yet are budget friendly.

OP- get an Xs or the Xsi. There are other Nikon and Canon cameras out there that are better than the damn D40 for less than $650. G'luck.
STFU Your comments show what an ass you are and do nothing to help the OP. The quality/cost ratio is perfect for a beginner and since any good lens they buy will be useable on newr bodies I stand by my recommendation regardless of ypur childish response.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #24
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
STFU Your comments show what an ass you are and do nothing to help the OP. The quality/cost ratio is perfect for a beginner and since any good lens they buy will be useable on newr bodies I stand by my recommendation regardless of ypur childish response.
First, I think you're overreacting and second, you can stand by your comment all you like. I was simply saying that people should stop recommending the D40. It's got what, 6.1 MP? It's an outdated camera. Sure you could recommend the Canon rebel XT or XTi since they're in the same league but why? they're all so old they're almost worthless.

Let's put it this way: why did you buy a 335i instead of a 328i or even an older E46 325i or 330i? I mean the E46 is still a good model and it gets the job done. So why splurge on a 335i instead? My point is that there are newer, better cameras out there that fall within the OP's budget. If you can afford it then buy the best that your money can buy.

BTW, I don't think my comment was childish but to each his/her own.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #25
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
First, I think you're overreacting and second, you can stand by your comment all you like. I was simply saying that people should stop recommending the D40. It's got what, 6.1 MP? It's an outdated camera. Sure you could recommend the Canon rebel XT or XTi since they're in the same league but why? they're all so old they're almost worthless.
Probably because the camera bodies are still capable and the price point may offer the OP more options in the lens arena. Not everyone that picks up a dSLR likes it/sticks with it. Plus, just because his budget is $650, doesn't mean he wants to spend it all if he doesn't have to. Outdated doesn't mean incapable.

Not harping on you. Just saying. There's a value ration that is really up to the OP to decide upon. It's somewhat the same when a lot of people recommend the 5DmkII to everyone.
      07-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #26
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Probably because the camera bodies are still capable and the price point may offer the OP more options in the lens arena. Not everyone that picks up a dSLR likes it/sticks with it. Plus, just because his budget is $650, doesn't mean he wants to spend it all if he doesn't have to. Outdated doesn't mean incapable.

Not harping on you. Just saying. There's a value ration that is really up to the OP to decide upon. It's somewhat the same when a lot of people recommend the 5DmkII to everyone.
No I understand. But IMO when someone has a budget of $650 he/she wants to buy the best camera possible for the money. Again, it goes back to the car comparison: you could buy an E46 because it's a very capable car and still have a bunch of money left over for other things. Yet people buy the latest and greatest. Why?

I'm just saying- so tired of every single person that is on Ken Rockwell's balls recommending the damn D40. Hey why don't you go and buy an E30 to drive around instead of that 335i you have in your profile?!?!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #27
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
No I understand. But IMO when someone has a budget of $650 he/she wants to buy the best camera possible for the money. Again, it goes back to the car comparison: you could buy an E46 because it's a very capable car and still have a bunch of money left over for other things. Yet people buy the latest and greatest. Why?

I'm just saying- so tired of every single person that is on Ken Rockwell's balls recommending the damn D40. Hey why don't you go and buy an E30 to drive around instead of that 335i you have in your profile?!?!
I hear what you're saying. It the same for me when people recommend the 5DmkII or L-series glass (can you tell I'm a Canon-phile? ) to new people looking for a sDLR w/o accounting for the the OP is looking for. Not everyone needs the best. Some people are fine with 15 pieces of flair. For dSLR's, some would recommend a modest body and more investment in glass. Just different philosophies is all it is.

Nuthugging in general tends to get old after while. It's the same thing with watches. Sooooo old but so infuriatingly common. It's no different than when people automatically suggest a M3 to someone looking for a car on any BMW forum. Don't even get me started on all the nuthugger that post up on Sherdog!

I assume the E30 comment was for the other guy since I don't really have anything in my profile. For the record, though, I'd love to get another ZHP (E46). Once my ///M is paid off, assuming the Jeep holds out a couple more years: ZHP or Mini S. Also, I almost did buy an E30 (instead of the '93 ZJ). The pres of Badger Bimmer's had a nice 325IX he was selling a few years back. VERY good shape mechanically and he was slowly restoring the body. Soooo tempting.

Anyways, I'll shut up now.
      08-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
I like boobies. I picked up a Sony A330 for $300 bucks. The camera is great! Live view and AF.
Appreciate 0