BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Today, 07:11 PM   #1
dre529
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340xi

Fixing Rock Chip under Ceramic Coat

Hello Everyone!

I purchased a new M340xi last month and I am blown away with the car. It is painted Skyscraper Grey Metallic. To protect it, I scheduled a full ceramic coat on the car. Before I could bring it in, the passenger door was dented or hit. (Not sure). I provided Dr. Color chip to the shop to fill in the chip before ceramic coat but they did not fill it in all the way and then coated on top. I am looking at how to fix it myself as most shops want to respray the entire door which is out of the question. I am not so much worried about the match of the color than I am the depth.

I was thinking to either polish the ceramic off, fill in the rock chip, wet-sand with 1500 grit to level then polish.

Or I could take a piece of 1500 grit sandpaper on the eraser of a pencil and work my way down that continue with fill and re-polish. (Close to what Ammo NYC teaches)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to fixing my car.

Thanks!Name:  20240917_185918.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  735.7 KBName:  20240917_185918.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  735.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:20 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre529 View Post
I was thinking to either polish the ceramic off, fill in the rock chip, wet-sand with 1500 grit to level then polish.

Or I could take a piece of 1500 grit sandpaper on the eraser of a pencil and work my way down that continue with fill and re-polish. (Close to what Ammo NYC teaches)
You're on the right track for steps. Do whichever you feel more comfortable with. I'd probably polish off the ceramic, fill it in, then wet sand as you describe. I'd go higher too, start w/ 1500 but try 2k, 3k, then perhaps the polish. Keep it wet.

My one add-on is to get something like a magnifying glass and have good light so you can see exactly what you're doing and not over-do it. And go as light as you possibly can with each step (only as much pressure and as much time as needed), because if you get down to the primer layer... well, you know.
Appreciate 0