BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Today, 02:39 PM   #1
NervoS
Private
Rep
Drives: G05,E39,E46,R53

Rant: why dealers are so greedy and... stupid?

This is kinda a rant. I am in process of acquiring a brand new BMW from my local dealer in Seattle. It is almost 100K purchase with all taxes and fees. The dealer also offered ceramic and PPF. Ceramic was ~1500, PPF full front 2500, or if I want rocker panels and rear trunk area - 3650 ! Ok, fine that was easy - I just called my local shop and got prices lower by 40%. I talked to the dealer about that - and they don't want to budge on the price. So, I just rejected both - ceramic and ppf, they don't get these money from me, whatever.

And another thing: I want to install the Advanced Eye Pro 3.0 dashcam. Online I see that MSRP on that part is $606 (p/n 66-21-5-A44-493). And I can get it for $477 online. Moreover, I already have such kit installed in my X5 (when I also bought the part online, but brought it to the very same dealer to install). It was $720 for labor that time, 4.85 hours. My thoughts were: ok, I am buying the car from them, I can install that dashcam kit with them for a good price, since the car is already there, they can get some additional money, etc... Ha! $2166 installed was the quote, 606 for the part and 6 hours at 260 / hour! And again - didn't even want to negotiate, the response was 'ok, get it installed somewhere else then'. Jeez. How are they still in business, I wonder? Instead of working with me, give me a discount, but still make some money they just decide not to get anything from me. I don't get it.

Once my car is out of warranty / complementary 3 y. service - I am not showing at the dealer anymore. It is just wrong and broken business model. Thanks god, I can work on my cars myself.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 03:12 PM   #2
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

The stealership always marks up their prices 200%+ and people that aren't car people or don't know any better will pay them.

They are borderline scamming people IMO, screw dealerships.
Appreciate 1
NervoS27.00
      Today, 03:14 PM   #3
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Because you're in Seattle where their techs probably make $100 an hour and so they bill accordingly. High cost of living means high cost of services and goods. You can't expect a dealer with a shitload of overhead in an overly expensive city to be able to sell stuff for the same price as a dealer in a low cost area that has spent the time and money to build out a parts sales channel.

As far as the ceramic and PPF goes, they're gonna make some money on it (at least 15% to cover their time and effort I'd bet), then who knows if you're going to the same guy or a shop that's new and cheaper. Who knows about the materials quality, tech experience, etc. And at the end of the day if your PPF fails in 2 years because of a product issue, you're gonna go back to them screaming so they have to price in their potential costs on it because a lot of PPF and detail shops are not long lived businesses.
Appreciate 1
NervoS27.00
      Today, 03:18 PM   #4
wizardofOz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M135i

If you have had previous work done by them such as the dashcam installed on your X5, did you try to ask them why they were not able to price match or do the work at your price?? It may answer your 'I wonder?'

The dealership that I bought my car from, I told them what I wanted installed, asked them how much they were going to charge and I gave them a web address or link with information from another place that were going to sell the same part and how much they would charge to install and if they could price match....they were honest with me and said sorry they couldn't and the reason why, so in the end I went to another place and had it installed much cheaper, but did appreciate their explanation as to why.

That's my specific situation only.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 03:43 PM   #5
NervoS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofOz View Post
If you have had previous work done by them such as the dashcam installed on your X5, did you try to ask them why they were not able to price match or do the work at your price?? It may answer your 'I wonder?'
Yup, I did, of course. I sent them my previous invoice they charged me for dashcam installation in my wife's X5. My SA told me: "get the dash cam online and I'll try to figure out the labor price for you." Will see how it goes, but they already refused to price match the part cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofOz View Post
The dealership that I bought my car from, I told them what I wanted installed, asked them how much they were going to charge and I gave them a web address or link with information from another place that were going to sell the same part and how much they would charge to install and if they could price match....they were honest with me and said sorry they couldn't and the reason why, so in the end I went to another place and had it installed much cheaper, but did appreciate their explanation as to why.

That's my specific situation only.
Well, seems like here is similar situation, but w/o any explanation: we just can't, don't want or whatever to price match. Well, loss for them, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:47 PM   #6
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I would never get tint, ppf, or ceramic coating done from the dealer even if it was cheaper vs going market rates. They typically use sh!tty shops or the shops they do use, they have agreements with them to use cheaper materials (I've spoken to a number of shops who confirm that they use X material for their regular customers and Y material for the dealer requests).
John H.317.50
DrVenture1045.50
NervoS27.00
      Today, 03:58 PM   #7
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

It wouldn't bother me to say, "I can get it done elsewhere with top quality materials at a much cheaper price" and have them not try to change my mind. I'd call that win/win. Heck you might've found a dealer outside Seattle to buy from and saved another $5K, even with shipping.

My response to anything that a dealer offers me is to respond, "I have a guy, but sure, give me your best price".

Also, if you can work on cars, you can surely install a dash cam.

Last edited by DrVenture; Today at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
NervoS27.00
      Today, 03:59 PM   #8
wizardofOz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervoS View Post
Yup, I did, of course. I sent them my previous invoice they charged me for dashcam installation in my wife's X5. My SA told me: "get the dash cam online and I'll try to figure out the labor price for you." Will see how it goes, but they already refused to price match the part cost.

Well, seems like here is similar situation, but w/o any explanation: we just can't, don't want or whatever to price match. Well, loss for them, I guess.
Hopefully there's better news on your dashcam for the labor price.

If they are mumbling their explanation then potentially it may be better to go to a well reputed detailer/recommended in this forum to have the other jobs done??

Will be interested to see how this progresses OP and good luck.
Appreciate 1
NervoS27.00
      Today, 04:00 PM   #9
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G15

Shop around. Yelp. Good start by posting here. I'm certain someone from your area will chime in.

Get the details of all quotes. Warranty? Brand/product material used? Coverage area? Last thing you want to hear, "That is/was extra..."
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:22 PM   #10
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.95]
Have BIMTECH PNW install your dashcam. They are in Lynnwood. By the way which of the three dealers are you dealing with?
      Today, 05:28 PM   #11
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Rule #1 - never have a dealer install PPF and/ or ceramic coating!

They outsource the work and add a 20-25% markup.

Last edited by Westside Guy; Today at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:46 PM   #12
NervoS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post

Also, if you can work on cars, you can surely install a dash cam.
With the dash cam I'm a bit hesitant to do it myself, since this requires interior disassembly, like A pillar and ceiling removal. But yeah, that is the hardest part, other than that - it is just plugging and playing.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:48 PM   #13
NervoS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Have BIMTECH PNW install your dashcam. They are in Lynnwood. By the way which of the three dealers are you dealing with?
Seattle bmw
Appreciate 0