BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Today, 09:14 AM   #1
Snave01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘25 X5 40i

Why is it...

Why is it with most car makers, you have to buy the bigger body styles to even have the option of some features? For example, on the X3 there is no option for massage seats, air suspension, B&W sound system, etc. in any trim. You have to go up to the X5. People who have no need for a larger SUV don’t want those features? Conversely, many of the larger vehicles also have more features standard as if people who need the extra room also want more than just the basics in features.

I get you can’t offer every feature in every model for cost and efficiency as well as vehicle/feature design considerations, but many things are relatively easy to scale.

Just a first-world gripe I have. Don't get me started on clothes

Anyone else have other similar "why is it..." automotive questions?
      Today, 09:20 AM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

TBH no, new cars already have so much useless shit baked in, why do you need more. Massage seats, fucking spare me.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:27 AM   #3
Snave01
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
TBH no, new cars already have so much useless shit baked in, why do you need more. Massage seats, fucking spare me.
It was just an example...tell us how you really feel
      Today, 09:29 AM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Cars are too expensive and feature bloated then people complain about price. Most of it is shite anyway, fancy speakers in a car... like really.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:35 AM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
This is 100% what drove me to an X5 when I wanted a X3. Finding one with the options I wanted was WAY easier on the X5 because many came standard. It is irritating that you don't need to larger vehicle, but have to if you want certain things. Probably way I DD a SQ5 now and the X5 sits more. LOL X3 would have been perfect sized. I do feel like X3's are getting better options now - maybe due to the X3 getting more popular or something?
      Today, 09:55 AM   #6
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

If you could get the luxuries of a 7 series in an entry level car, why would anyone buy a 7 series? It's not a size constraint, it's a marketing constraint.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1958.50
xander_g1055.50
      Today, 09:59 AM   #7
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Cars are already on average costing more than they were adjusted for wages over the past few years. Bloating them out with costly options is not going to help new car sales.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:09 AM   #8
Snave01
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
If you could get the luxuries of a 7 series in an entry level car, why would anyone buy a 7 series? It's not a size constraint, it's a marketing constraint.
Because of the size and overall luxury (materials, etc outside of the options)? Also, I'm not saying every option should be available across all models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Cars are already on average costing more than they were adjusted for wages over the past few years. Bloating them out with costly options is not going to help new car sales.
Right but options are just that. No one is forced into them if they want a more modest build. My point is, I would like the option to add certain features on smaller chassis vehicles.
      Today, 10:23 AM   #9
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snave01 View Post
Because of the size and overall luxury (materials, etc outside of the options)? Also, I'm not saying every option should be available across all models.

Right but options are just that. No one is forced into them if they want a more modest build. My point is, I would like the option to add certain features on smaller chassis vehicles.
My guess is that BMW estimates the take rate will be low on costlier or outlier options and that offering them will not help with profits as there is cost in having numerous options versus fewer options.

It is why McDonalds does not offer Wagyu beef options for their hamburgers.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:33 AM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah rants aside it s likely a cost to produce/tool issue vs take rate.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:33 AM   #11
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
This. It's marketing. I worked in new model development for a major manufacturer long enough to know that they are always dangling the carrot to get you to buy up.

It's also true that the take rate would be extremely low for most of these options if presented in a "lower tier" model. There are cost caps on models, and the manufacturers know where that is, so it makes no sense for them to bother offering some options.
      Today, 11:34 AM   #12
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
People buying the smaller vehicles are typically doing so for cost reasons, at least when you're talking about not particularly big vehicles.

That said, manufacturers are not incentivized to add those features because they make more margin on average on larger vehicles.

My bigger WHY!?! Is all these stupid screens. I don't need screens tondo things buttons can do easily.

Also, manual transmissions. Bring them back.

Big engines, bring those back too.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1958.50
      Today, 11:43 AM   #13
Snave01
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
People buying the smaller vehicles are typically doing so for cost reasons, at least when you're talking about not particularly big vehicles.
See, I would think those with a lot of kids that need the space would potentially have less discretionary income vs single/married people with no kids. Kids are expensive

Quote:
Also, manual transmissions. Bring them back.
100%!
lakefront598.50
      Today, 01:46 PM   #14
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
See, I would think those with a lot of kids that need the space would potentially have less discretionary income vs single/married people with no kids. Kids are expensive
You got that right.

I would assume that most people with plenty of discretionary income but no need for space aren't buy compact SUVs or sedans, they're buying coupes and convertibles and trucks. At least that's what I did, lol.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:20 PM   #15
Snave01
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You got that right.

I would assume that most people with plenty of discretionary income but no need for space aren't buy compact SUVs or sedans, they're buying coupes and convertibles and trucks. At least that's what I did, lol.
Yeah, I had an Z4M Coupe for a few years and while a hoot, it was just very impractical and I had to get a beater to drive in the snow. I don't have a large family but sometimes something with a little cargo space is a handy things. A hot hatch is a pretty good compromise.
      Today, 04:13 PM   #16
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I had an Z4M Coupe for a few years and while a hoot, it was just very impractical and I had to get a beater to drive in the snow. I don't have a large family but sometimes something with a little cargo space is a handy things. A hot hatch is a pretty good compromise.
I had it real bad for sport wagons for a while. Dodge Magnum SRT8, MB E55 Wagon, stuff like that. All the cargo space, all the car go road.

The RS6 Avant is cool, but hideously expensive, and you're really.paying for being different vs the super SUVs that exist. The rumored M5 Touring however, is hideous. Taycan wagon similarly is absurdly expensive and has the drawbacks of an EV. Newer AMG wagons just don't appeal to me.

Hot hatches are cool, but similarly have crept up in price to the point that they're kinda pointless. You look at like a GTI vs. Kona N, it's hard to see why you'd spend the extra money on the smaller and less powerful GTI. X1 M35i vs Golf R, it's a similar story.

As hot hatches get bigger, and compact crossovers get smaller and cheaper, they're basically becoming one in the same.
Appreciate 0