BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-05-2024, 01:27 PM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Salt

Anyone here intentionally increase their salt intake during the warm summer months?

Does Celtic salt really make a difference in terms of minerals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2024, 01:32 PM   #2
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I have to take sodium tablets year-round, or I will have very poor workouts, with a huge clue not being able to sweat. My dietary intake of sodium is under 2g a day without the tablets.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2024, 01:50 PM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I know after a hard day in the yard I will lick all the salt off the rim of my tequila, does that count?

If they don't have tequila, I've been known to pour some salt in my glass of mineral water.

LiquidIV is probably a better total solution for us diabetics
      08-05-2024, 02:42 PM   #4
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I work outdoors sun up to sunset. I don't drink anything but spring water during the day. It mostly has everything you could need. This is in 90 degree weather with high humidity. If you're out west or at a higher elevation I could see the need. I tried drinking Liquid IV but it made me feel sick it tasted so salty. Some day I'll drink a few Body Armors but that's just because I wanted to mix it up.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2024, 01:18 PM   #5
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

We use Celtic salt and Redmon salt, plus I have LMNT salt/electrolytes. We also have Mountain valley spring water, but will still add magnesium, potassium etc as desired.

Salt will help you retain the water better and not pee as much as well.
      08-29-2024, 08:32 PM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I also only drink spring water - and now I know why

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 03:27 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

High blood pressure here (on meds.) Have to keep the sodium down.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      08-30-2024, 04:27 PM   #8
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
High blood pressure here (on meds.) Have to keep the sodium down.
If you’re a 4-5 day a week gym rat who lifts heavy - salt is a key supplement particularly Celtic sea salt. If you’ve got high blood pressure - salt wouldnt be as useful for you.

Celtic sea salt is a popular choice among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts due to its potential benefits that go beyond just flavoring food. Here’s how it can be beneficial:

### 1. **Electrolyte Balance**
- Celtic sea salt contains a variety of trace minerals like magnesium, potassium, and calcium, which are essential for maintaining electrolyte balance. For bodybuilders, maintaining proper electrolyte levels is crucial for muscle function, preventing cramps, and ensuring optimal hydration during workouts .

### 2. **Hydration**
- Proper hydration is key for bodybuilders, especially during intense training sessions. Celtic sea salt can help the body retain the right amount of water, ensuring that muscles stay hydrated, which is important for endurance, strength, and recovery. The minerals in Celtic sea salt contribute to better absorption of water in the body, preventing dehydration during long or intense exercise .

### 3. **Enhanced Muscle Function**
- Sodium, one of the key components of Celtic sea salt, is critical for muscle contraction and nerve transmission. Adequate sodium levels help bodybuilders maintain muscle strength and performance, particularly during high-intensity training sessions.

### 4. **Improved Digestive Health**
- Celtic sea salt may stimulate the production of digestive enzymes and stomach acid, which can aid in nutrient absorption. For bodybuilders, efficient digestion and absorption of nutrients are vital for muscle growth and recovery .

### 5. **Mineral Intake**
- Unlike table salt, Celtic sea salt is less processed and retains its natural mineral content. These trace minerals support various bodily functions, including those related to muscle recovery and overall metabolic health, which are important for bodybuilders who push their bodies to the limit .

### 6. **Natural Source**
- Celtic sea salt is harvested naturally and is free from additives or anti-caking agents found in many commercial salts. For bodybuilders looking to minimize their intake of synthetic substances, this makes Celtic sea salt a more attractive option.

### How to Use Celtic Sea Salt:
- **Pre-Workout**: Mixing a small amount of Celtic sea salt into your pre-workout drink can help maintain electrolyte balance and improve hydration during training.
- **Post-Workout**: Including Celtic sea salt in your post-workout meal can replenish lost electrolytes and support recovery.
- **Daily Nutrition**: Sprinkling it on meals ensures you’re getting essential minerals throughout the day, supporting overall health and athletic performance.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 04:48 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
If you’re a 4-5 day a week gym rat who lifts heavy - salt is a key supplement particularly Celtic sea salt. If you’ve got high blood pressure - salt wouldnt be as useful for you.

Celtic sea salt is a popular choice among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts due to its potential benefits that go beyond just flavoring food. Here’s how it can be beneficial:

### 1. **Electrolyte Balance**
- Celtic sea salt contains a variety of trace minerals like magnesium, potassium, and calcium, which are essential for maintaining electrolyte balance. For bodybuilders, maintaining proper electrolyte levels is crucial for muscle function, preventing cramps, and ensuring optimal hydration during workouts .

### 2. **Hydration**
- Proper hydration is key for bodybuilders, especially during intense training sessions. Celtic sea salt can help the body retain the right amount of water, ensuring that muscles stay hydrated, which is important for endurance, strength, and recovery. The minerals in Celtic sea salt contribute to better absorption of water in the body, preventing dehydration during long or intense exercise .

### 3. **Enhanced Muscle Function**
- Sodium, one of the key components of Celtic sea salt, is critical for muscle contraction and nerve transmission. Adequate sodium levels help bodybuilders maintain muscle strength and performance, particularly during high-intensity training sessions.

### 4. **Improved Digestive Health**
- Celtic sea salt may stimulate the production of digestive enzymes and stomach acid, which can aid in nutrient absorption. For [...]
Thank you for all of that but I am not a gym rat and I don’t lift heavy. I do exercise and use weights and walk. I try to exercise and walk most every day.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 06:21 PM   #10
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Check out The Salt Fix by Dr. James DiNicolantonio. He goes into depth about the history of how salt has been vilified and debunks the very common idea about its negative effect on blood pressure, etc. Immediately after getting out of bed, I drink 12+ ounces of water, usually with LMNT. Prn LMNT and/or Redmond salt throughout the day depending on exercises, etc.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 2
TboneS541149.00
      08-30-2024, 06:42 PM   #11
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

The whole "salt is bad for you" is kind of true since they're talking about shitty lab made salt :P
      08-30-2024, 06:49 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
The whole "salt is bad for you" is kind of true since they're talking about shitty lab made salt :P
I don't know anything about that but if I eat salty food my BP goes up and I need to keep it down so I avoid salty food.

Last edited by Esteban; 08-30-2024 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      08-30-2024, 10:58 PM   #13
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

I would guess it's not the salt exactly, but a combination of other things (namely, vegetable oil) and perhaps the fake salt.

If you re worked your diet, and used quality salt, I bet you'd fix your bp.

I was told my whole life I have hypertension, from my mom and doctors. I even took some bp meds for a little while. Changed my diet to grass fed/organic feed/pastured raised type meat/dairy. Real salt. Much less processing, pastuerizing and foods with vegetable oil. Home grown food, eggs, raw milk etc. I take tumeric type supplements which help as well, but no meds or anything besides salt/electrolytes. My bp is perfect and I feel great with zero health issues at all at 40, though I am an athlete. This was around 30 when I started with my wife (nurse).
      08-31-2024, 12:46 AM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would guess it's not the salt exactly, but a combination of other things (namely, vegetable oil) and perhaps the fake salt.

If you re worked your diet, and used quality salt, I bet you'd fix your bp.

I was told my whole life I have hypertension, from my mom and doctors. I even took some bp meds for a little while. Changed my diet to grass fed/organic feed/pastured raised type meat/dairy. Real salt. Much less processing, pastuerizing and foods with vegetable oil. Home grown food, eggs, raw milk etc. I take tumeric type supplements which help as well, but no meds or anything besides salt/electrolytes. My bp is perfect and I feel great with zero health issues at all at 40, though I am an athlete. This was around 30 when I started with my wife (nurse).
I will be 70 in a few months and I control my BP with meds plus I watch what I eat and I exercise, and I don’t add salt to my food. Thanks, I’m good.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      08-31-2024, 05:40 PM   #15
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

Oh ok too old to learn new tricks I guess. Reminds me of my 72 y/o dad, kind of sad.
      08-31-2024, 05:51 PM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok too old to learn new tricks I guess. Reminds me of my 72 y/o dad, kind of sad.
Guess I'm just an old dog. Like I said, I'm good.
Appreciate 0