BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-07-2024, 02:05 PM   #1
NiKRuLeZ
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series

Question Rear brake pad change - iDrive notification

Hey all

I have a F20 BMW 2019 spec car.

I received a 'your rear brake pad's are due a change' message on my iDrive.

What I want to know is, is this message 'generic' based on the milage I've done (so when it hits a certain milage, it auto pops up) or does it actually check the brake pads thickness to identify if they've actually been worn down enough to prompt a warning notification to pop up on the iDrive?

Kind regards

Nik
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 02:27 PM   #2
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

I was recently trying to figure out the same thing. See my thread here.

Judging by production year of your car, then you should have same behavior. No brake pad service entry in CID until wear sensor is triggered and only then is remaining distance calculated.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 03:06 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

You can peek through the wheels and see the pads. Off the top something like 12mm when new, 2-3mm is about where I'd start planning to swap them.

Keep in mind that the peak through the wheels is only for the outer sides, the pads on the inside tend to be the same thickness but could in fact be thinner.

It's not much work to see for yourself where things are.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 08:30 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Estimation does not trigger a Check Control message. It's just too vague. When low it gets briefly displayed at the engine start just FYI. Wear sensor turns on the Parking brake/Brake system "((!))" red instrument cluster indicator permanently, plays a warning sound (once, when it happens) and displays a suggestion to drive moderately to the service.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 09:16 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

There is a brake pad-wear sensor located in the right rear brake. It's located in the inner brake pad on the piston side of the brake caliper. It has an electrical circuit wire embedded in a plastic sensor, which wears away until the wire breaks and triggers the notification.

The left front brake has a similar setup. The warning is not based on set miles nor time. It is based on the physical wear of the brake pad. BMWs have had this pad wear system since the late 1970s, starting with the 7-series.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-07-2024 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2024, 09:40 AM   #6
NiKRuLeZ
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
There is a brake pad-wear sensor located in the right rear brake. It's located in the inner brake pad on the piston side of the brake caliper. It has an electrical circuit wire embedded in a plastic sensor, which wears away until the wire breaks and triggers the notification.

The left front brake has a similar setup. The warning is not based on set miles nor time. It is based on the physical wear of the brake pad. BMWs have had this pad wear system since the late 1970s, starting with the 7-series.
Yikes!

I forgot to mention that I also have the red warning light on the dashboard showing too.

Does that mean I should get my brakes looked into ASAP?!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 10:44 AM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKRuLeZ View Post
I forgot to mention that I also have the red warning light on the dashboard showing too.
That would indicate the sensor has tripped and so yes you are physically low on pad material. You do need work done. Pads swapped at a minimum, usually rotors are suggested as well, and at least one sensor now needs to be replaced (it is worn through).
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18668.50
      08-09-2024, 09:37 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKRuLeZ View Post
Yikes!

Does that mean I should get my brakes looked into ASAP?!
You have time, a couple of thousands of miles. No need for great concern, just schedule an appointment with the BMW-certified mechanic you use.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0