E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Software out! OBD Port

08-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

New Software out! OBD Port

I had a chance to meet with another E90post.com member, "nemo" and he had his car reprogrammed today. On the Service Invoice it read something about OBD Port reprogramming. I'm really not sure what they meant by that, but according to his service advisor, it's suppose to alter the transmission shift points and possibly fixing the soft-stop lurch. I know OBD is the standard On-Board Diagnostics port is located on left side of the driver's footwell, but it really doesn't say what exactly was programmed. I will follow up with one of the techs on Monday.

He and I both have had issues with the soft-stop lurching after coming to a stop. Herman (nemo) was kind enough to let me try his car. His car still lurched a bit after a stop, but he felt the car was better than before. Hopefully BMW has listened and come to the realization that something needs to be done to fix this soft-stop issue. It's very troubling to have the car move at all after come to a full and complete stop.

Bests,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 04:35 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Find out which CIP version was installed

Also how old is his car ? Since most cars deivered in the last month anyway have the latest CIP 18.0 which doesnt have muh new E90 softwae, and nothing for brakes

CIP 19.0 wil only be released in September since BMW software engineers are on holiday with the rest of Germany in August
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 04:45 AM   #3
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Find out which CIP version was installed

Also how old is his car ? Since most cars deivered in the last month anyway have the latest CIP 18.0 which doesnt have muh new E90 softwae, and nothing for brakes

CIP 19.0 wil only be released in September since BMW software engineers are on holiday with the rest of Germany in August
Fleet...

"nimo" car is an April 05 build. It isn't CIP software...It's actually a documented as a "recall." I asked the advisor if there are references to a CIP number, but they said it's not noted on the DIS machine as CIP programming.

I'm not sure if these numbers apply to cars outside the US, but here are the SIB numbers:

RECALLS/CAMPAIGNS
S I B 12 09 05 LBL CODE 440

S.I.BULLETIN #1281
S I B 65 01 05 LBL CODE 435

Members on another board (not sure if I should mention which one) had the same updates done on their cars.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 04:51 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Ok

SIB 65 01 05 is for radios on E90 whose seek function doesnt work
Its not software but a procedure on how to set the radio to USA mode

SIB 12 09 05 is only for a few specific chassis number for the following "Due to the software errors, data communication through the OBD interface may be not be possible when certain generic diagnostic scan tools are being used"

For this one they just load CIP 18.0 onto the car

Nothing for brakes here
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 05:13 AM   #5
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok

SIB 12 09 05 is only for a few specific chassis number for the following "Due to the software errors, data communication through the OBD interface may be not be possible when certain generic diagnostic scan tools are being used"

Nothing for brakes here
Yeah...that's what I thought too. His service advisor made some lofty claims about how it's suppose to fix the transmission hesitation, soft-stop, and wheel shimmy! Can you believe that...the wheel shimmy fixed by software. I mean I know a lot of this car is computer controlled, but I couldn't see how a shimmy could be fixed by software. Maybe changing the ratio on a car with active steering, but a non-AFS E90 doesn't even have a variable-ratio steering rack, which is what he has.

Herman, if you're reading, maybe you can chime in what exactly Krista wrote on your service invoice and if there really is any change to the car.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 05:19 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Well what i gave you is from the Official BMW USA SIB's

Their list for software updates doesnt show anything substantial for the E90

Im hoping the Septemebr update will have some fixes, and Ill post them as soon as they are made known
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 05:28 AM   #7
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Im hoping the Septemebr update will have some fixes, and Ill post them as soon as they are made known
Yeah, I don't doubt you or anything. The terminal for BMWNetCenter access was really slow today, I was only able to pull up the first SIB and it only mention something about a radio fix.

I was hoping they do something for the soft-stop issue on CIP 19.0. As you said, we'll wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 06:46 AM   #8
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:

Where do I get access to this information???
      08-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemange
Where do I get access to this information???
Only dealers or people authorized by BMW get access
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 09:40 AM   #10
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Ok

Nothing for brakes here

Yup, this is correct. My car was an April build, & upon its return to the U.S., I was following up & asked why it was in the V.P.C. for a week & they told me that there was a "Campaign " update going on for the radio. Now I know what they meant....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #11
nimo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90, F30

Here is the listing from the service invoice:

J# 4 Q0BMZ - 440 RPRGM/RECOD OBD Tech(s) 38927 WARRANTY

REPROGRAM/RECODE VEHICLE FOR OBD INTERFACING.
WK PPKG #2: REPROGRAM/RECODE CONTROL MODULES WITH CAS
DC 00 61 32 02 00/LABOR OP00 55 872--12 FRU
CIP18.1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lurching effect has been reduced. When I asked about the software update version, the SA could not respond. I think my SA know just much as I do as for automotive knowledge. Maybe the software update will make my base stereo perform like the Logic7 or my nonsport suspension perform like the sport suspension. I regret not following 168 advice and requesting Jenny for my SA. At least she won't insult me by assuming I am gullible as an old lady. Let me just say for the two days they had my car for a software update, it was BS after BS. They even forgot to arrange my ride back from work so they got me an Toyota Echo loaner as a last resort while I waited three hours for it. I always had to the follow calls. It was a really bad day yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Looks like you got CIP 18.1

I havent seen a listing yet as to what changes 18.1 contains for the E90

So there may be a small change for the brakes/transmission

Hopefually they will update their list of updates soon, so we will know what s going on
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #13
nimo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90, F30

I do notice that the brakes are noiser than before when releasing and squeezing the calipers.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 05:27 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimo
I do notice that the brakes are noiser than before when releasing and squeezing the calipers.
Interesting
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2005, 04:03 AM   #15
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimo
Yup...I drove Herman's "nemo", car yesterday and the first thing I noticed was how much noiser the brakes were than my car. His brakes are really sticky (hill-hold) and the pads squeek...I mean, really squeek like bad set of wipers. It's not the brake squeek that you usually get when the pads are worn down, it's a high-pitch squeek. I've heard this squeek on the E60 brakes, and I'm really not sure what it's coming from.

His car lurches too after a stop, but he says it's better. But it's still not perfected...BMW if you're listening!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2005, 04:19 AM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Are you guys shure its the soft stop, and not the transmission slamming into 2nd or 1st gear casing the car to lurch slightly ?

The E60 had the problem of the transmission going into a low gear too early causing the car to lurch slightly. They had to wait for the transmission supplier to oome up with new software, which they got about a month ago
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2005, 04:33 AM   #17
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Are you guys shure its the soft stop, and not the transmission slamming into 2nd or 1st gear casing the car to lurch slightly ?

The E60 had the problem of the transmission going into a low gear too early causing the car to lurch slightly. They had to wait for the transmission supplier to oome up with new software, which they got about a month ago
Yes...we are sure. When riding with Herman "nemo" and Jenny, my service advisor, I made it a point to show them the feeling of what the 2-1 downshift feels like at a stop. You can feel it, but it's very slight. It's not that feeling, and plus you can hear a "gurr" sound the pad-rotor contact when soft-stop is doing it's thing that split second after the car comes to a complete stop.

My E60 530i had that violent downshifting problem and so did the 645Li I had for a few months. The M-Benz E55 i have also did that, but that was due to a faulty torque converter.
Appreciate 0