BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-11-2024, 11:07 PM   #23
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
This is correct ^. Get the diesel out and you should be OK. Gasoline in a diesel motor, now that's potentially catastrophic.
Really? I always heard it was the other way around its worse for diesel in a gas due to the way gas works compared to diesel and at what temperatures they operate. I remember always being told you can figuratively put anything in the damn diesel and it would operate fine.

I always remembered back in the days with the older diesels especially here in Sweden during those harsh winters we were always instructed to put in some gasoline in the diesel engine do make it ignite easier. But this was a very long time ago.

My wife's aunt did the same thing around two years ago they fueled up diesel in their gas car and the mechanic said good that they didn't do it the other way around because that would be worse, but luckily they realised what they did before starting the car and driving of so it was easily fixed, noting got in to the engine.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2024, 11:30 PM   #24
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Really? I always heard it was the other way around its worse for diesel in a gas due to the way gas works compared to diesel and at what temperatures they operate. I remember always being told you can figuratively put anything in the damn diesel and it would operate fine.

I always remembered back in the days with the older diesels especially here in Sweden during those harsh winters we were always instructed to put in some gasoline in the diesel engine do make it ignite easier. But this was a very long time ago.

My wife's aunt did the same thing around two years ago they fueled up diesel in their gas car and the mechanic said good that they didn't do it the other way around because that would be worse, but luckily they realised what they did before starting the car and driving of so it was easily fixed, noting got in to the engine.
Glad her car turned out to be fine! I don't think either way is going to destroy anything but I know for a fact diesel is just crude and thick and doesn't combust well in a gas engine but it's almost like highly processed oil. It lubricates well and is pretty harmless aside from just being gross and caking everything up.
Appreciate 1
POBEP394.00
      06-12-2024, 12:31 AM   #25
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
OP, my 2c:
- $1,800 sounds steep - perhaps DIY or local INDY shop?
- gas engine will be just fine after flush
- I would check spark plugs condition before replacement.

Quote:
Diesel HPFP is lubricated by the fuel itself. gasoline kills it nearly instantly.
IMO, there is really nothing you can damage in gas engine with modern diesel fuel.
Quote:
I always remembered back in the days with the older diesels especially here in Sweden during those harsh winters we were always instructed to put in some gasoline in the diesel engine do make it ignite easier. But this was a very long time ago..
Diesel gels at low temps. relatively small percentage of kerosine (not gasoline) helps diesel stay fluid at cold temps.

Today, in NA fuel stations switch between "winter" and "summer" diesel blend without consumer need to worry about it.
In California, most stations are now selling RND (instead of petroleum-based diesel) its native cloud point is -40C

Last edited by POBEP; 06-12-2024 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2024, 04:29 AM   #26
M-technik-3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Have gotten a tank of diesel in a gas powered vehicles before. Ex filled up car as normal and she's a motorgal. Turned out Truck driver filled premium tank with diesel and 35 people got diesel that day before they shut off the tank.

Diesel in a gas car not bad but great, Gas in Diesel car VERY VERY Bad.
Appreciate 1
POBEP394.00
      06-12-2024, 04:48 AM   #27
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
IMO, there is really nothing you can damage in gas engine with modern diesel fuel.

diesel won't burn (or only partially burn) in a gasoline engine. The unburnt diesel will slowly work itself past the piston rings, raising the oil level, and that can eventually destroy the engine if the oil level gets so high that the crankshaft hits the oil level.

Whether or not that will happen within 1 tank in a mix ratio that the engine keeps running....probably not. But if the partner always tops up the tank with diesel so that a combustable mix is always used...over time...
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2024, 04:28 PM   #28
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

I always wondered what would happen in this scenario. $1.8K is better than a new engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2024, 07:40 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Yup, it appears that it wasn't made a law because of how few issues they figured there would be, she just happen to use a junk/poor gas station that hasn't switched the nozzles. In her defense, I've seen bright green plastic handles on pump gas nozzles, so it's not entirely her fault.

https://www.epa.gov/fuels-registrati...dispenser-have
Yeah, it's curious since gasoline cans are required by the regs to be red and diesel fuel cans are required to be yellow (kerosene are blue). You'd think at the minimum to dispensary nozzles would be color matched.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic14940.00