BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-27-2024, 10:18 AM   #1
NomoTesla
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Model 3 Range Drops to 64% of EPA After Only 3 Years

Recurrent recently released stats showing that Model 3 & Y owners are able to hit a mere 64% of EPA range after only 3 years of ownership. At the beginning, the most they are able to achieve is 72%.

Assuming Recurrent's information is in the ballpark, this is yet another data point showing Tesla's EPA estimates are fundamentally flawed (or fraud). At face value it shows that Tesla owners can expect 12% battery degradation in the first three years of ownership, yet another disappointment on top of only hitting 72% of EPA estimated range.

I have to multiply Tesla's EPA estimates by 0.72 to get a real-world range figure while I multiply my iX's EPA estimate by 1.2 to get real-world. That means up to a 50% difference in real-world range between a Tesla EPA estimate and BMW's—advantage BMW.

You won't hear any of this from Elon, that's for sure. Other makes should capitalize on this harsh reality because it doesn't seem the general EV buying public is aware of Tesla's shady EPA ratings. Imagine buying a Model Y Long Range EPA rated at 310 miles only to find out it can really go 223 miles and after 3 years that figure drops to 198 miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 12:07 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Well Tesla's battery warranty claims it's covered for a minimum (depends on model) of 8 years 100k miles with 70% retention. So if this data is true I guess they will be getting a lot of battery warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 02:05 PM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
If the data is correct - is it factored into owners' total lifecycle cost, if not covered under warranty?

If battery replacement is covered under warranty, is battery replacement time and hassle marked down on owners' calendars? Tesla will willingly agree to all requests for battery replacement, right? No questions asked?

Last edited by chassis; 05-27-2024 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 02:32 PM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335i, '18 BRZ

Such click-bait title and presentation.
Degradation should be measured over the baseline, not some arbitrary figure. The real number is 12% degradation over the first 3 years. Dunno if that's good or bad, need to see what other EVs lose. Also, judging by the graph the drop flattens out after those 3 years. How does that look like after that? Finally, need to account for mileage as well.
The discrepancy between EPA range and actual range is the same story as with MPG ratings, that's why the savvy buyer will look for real world range/MPG values (as published by many journals and on forums/blogs/social media).
Appreciate 2