BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #3543
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Sorry to hear that, I can appreciate the stress you are under right now.

I'll provide a diversion in the form of a story, but this is not making fun of women drivers, rather, this is a true story.

I was working at Deloitte at the time and was a manager there and one of the staff who I grabbed to work on my team just so happened not to have a car. I always seemed to manage to pick at least one staff who didn't have access to a car somehow, just my luck, but since I liked driving, I didn't really mind.

Anyways, said staff was a nice, smart asian girl, seemed to be intelligent and all is good. I volunteered to drive her to and from the engagement for the week or so we were there. It is somewhat crucial to the story to understand that while she didn't have access to a car, she DID have her license which meant that she had passed the grueling tests required and was therefore believed to possess all necessary skills to operate a 3+ ton weapon on the roads. Sadly, this was not the case.

One day, I'm driving her back, and I'm coming up on a transport truck who is moving slowly, much slower than I am, and he's in the left lane. No problem, its a two lane road, if he wishes to stay in the left I will pass on the right since he is not moving over...though I would have preferred for him to move over so I could pass properly.

Well, I get to about 1/4 to maybe 1/2 way up his right side when strong feelings of utter remorse evidently struck the truck driver hard, and he decided that he actually didn't belong in the left lane after all, and must ABSOLUTELY be in the right lane, and immediately - no time for checking mirrors. So all I see is the truck starting to come over...and I'm almost halfway up his side and accelerating. (You know, as an aside, I use the word "he" for the truck driver, but I didn't actually identify them, and based on the actions undertaken by said person, it could have just as well been a female too - just a thought that occurred to me now...previously I just assumed he was a guy).

Somewhat annoying, but not a big deal, I'm in the 335i, acceleration is reasonably decent, but what is truly fantastic are the brakes. And since I can decelerate a lot faster than I can accelerate, that is precisely what I did and avoided the accident.

So I look over at her and ask her if she's fine, because it was hard braking, and she says she is, but something to the effect of how did I know what to do? And I basically explained my rationale above and then she utters the following statement, and from memory, I quote:

"If that had been me, I don't know - I would have just closed my eyes and let go of the steering wheel".

I look at her quickly, glance back at the road and take a moment to make sure I heard what I thought I heard, and then look back at her. SHE WASN'T JOKING!

She honestly would have done that. That scares me. And there is your diversion.
What.The.Actual.FUQ. I have no words.
And this is why so many car crash youtube channels exist.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #3544
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Sorry to hear that, I can appreciate the stress you are under right now.

I'll provide a diversion in the form of a story, but this is not making fun of women drivers, rather, this is a true story.

I was working at Deloitte at the time and was a manager there and one of the staff who I grabbed to work on my team just so happened not to have a car. I always seemed to manage to pick at least one staff who didn't have access to a car somehow, just my luck, but since I liked driving, I didn't really mind.

Anyways, said staff was a nice, smart asian girl, seemed to be intelligent and all is good. I volunteered to drive her to and from the engagement for the week or so we were there. It is somewhat crucial to the story to understand that while she didn't have access to a car, she DID have her license which meant that she had passed the grueling tests required and was therefore believed to possess all necessary skills to operate a 3+ ton weapon on the roads. Sadly, this was not the case.

One day, I'm driving her back, and I'm coming up on a transport truck who is moving slowly, much slower than I am, and he's in the left lane. No problem, its a two lane road, if he wishes to stay in the left I will pass on the right since he is not moving over...though I would have preferred for him to move over so I could pass properly.

Well, I get to about 1/4 to maybe 1/2 way up his right side when strong feelings of utter remorse evidently struck the truck driver hard, and he decided that he actually didn't belong in the left lane after all, and must ABSOLUTELY be in the right lane, and immediately - no time for checking mirrors. So all I see is the truck starting to come over...and I'm almost halfway up his side and accelerating. (You know, as an aside, I use the word "he" for the truck driver, but I didn't actually identify them, and based on the actions undertaken by said person, it could have just as well been a female too - just a thought that occurred to me now...previously I just assumed he was a guy).

Somewhat annoying, but not a big deal, I'm in the 335i, acceleration is reasonably decent, but what is truly fantastic are the brakes. And since I can decelerate a lot faster than I can accelerate, that is precisely what I did and avoided the accident.

So I look over at her and ask her if she's fine, because it was hard braking, and she says she is, but something to the effect of how did I know what to do? And I basically explained my rationale above and then she utters the following statement, and from memory, I quote:

"If that had been me, I don't know - I would have just closed my eyes and let go of the steering wheel".

I look at her quickly, glance back at the road and take a moment to make sure I heard what I thought I heard, and then look back at her. SHE WASN'T JOKING!

She honestly would have done that. That scares me. And there is your diversion.
I met a guy at university who totaled the first car he ever owned within about 3 hours of buying it. I asked what happened and he said it got into a slide in a turn. When I asked what he did to correct it he said "I closed my eyes, let go of the steering wheel, and stomped on the brake and clutch as hard as I could".

Can you think of anything else he could have done wrong? Turn off the engine so as to lock the steering column? Grab the handbrake although he did had the brake pedal pegged. Perhaps he could have taken his seat-belt off to maximize injury?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #3545
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Sure! Orange Blossom Special as well.
well? this is a perfect opportunity to entertain us
Appreciate 1
Frupal840.00
      04-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #3546
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I make it to 1 and fall asleep, I cant drink any more.
Yeah. Of course.
Attached Images

Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8201.00
      04-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #3547
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
What's the appropriate number of Quarantini's to have in one evening?

Asking for a friend.

First I finished the rum bottle, then finished the whiskey. Then I had to lay my king down. Got a little Agro after the rum

Last week I went with coworker to pick up emergency TV. We took a lifeguard truck. While in the store my blood sugar crashed. I couldn't find candy but she found 2 Hershey's and a jumbo peanut M&M. I ate almost all three while they loaded the truck

She was worried and wanted to drive. I told her it was a stick. She believed me until we got out of the parking lot and my hands weren't doing anything. "PULL OVER!"
Not happening. I ate 3 candies, I'm fine

Later told her my pride would never allow me to let her drive. She was not impressed
      04-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #3548
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
First I finished the rum bottle, then finished the whiskey. Then I had to lay my king down. Got a little Agro after the rum

Last week I went with coworker to pick up emergency TV. We took a lifeguard truck. While in the store my blood sugar crashed. I couldn't find candy but she found 2 Hershey's and a jumbo peanut M&M. I ate almost all three while they loaded the truck

She was worried and wanted to drive. I told her it was a stick. She believed me until we got out of the parking lot and my hands weren't doing anything. "PULL OVER!"

Later told her my pride would never allow me to let her drive. She was not impressed
You better take care of yourself, that's pretty serious. I'm not impressed, either. I'm with your coworker. You know what's next:
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #3549
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You better take care of yourself, that's pretty serious. I'm not impressed, either. I'm with your coworker. You know what's next:
THREE CANDY BARS!!

It amazing how fast the faculties return after THREE candy bars

Did I mention she gave me THREE CANDY BARS?
      04-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #3550
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My friends and I got on house party while we drank & chatted last night. Hungover and need a nap.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34102.00
      04-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #3551
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Yeah. Of course.
No really I need practice but age and my workout schedule I've backed way off.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34102.00
Rmtt8201.00
      04-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #3552
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
well? this is a perfect opportunity to entertain us
Here’s a link to the audio version of Fly Robin Fly, from my album Passion. I know there’s a video out there of me performing it live but I can’t find it! Lol. My manager probably knows. I’ll share that link too.

Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7527.50
      04-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #3553
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
THREE CANDY BARS!!

It amazing how fast the faculties return after THREE candy bars

Did I mention she gave me THREE CANDY BARS?
Yes. You did.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #3554
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
No really I need practice but age and my workout schedule I've backed way off.
I don't even know who you are any more.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13065.50
      04-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #3555
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I know I dont even get to drunk post and berate people
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #3556
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
she found 2 Hershey's
are you saying you gave her the hershey treatment or vice versa?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #3557
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

Asking for a friend.

As many as it takes....or as many as you have.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #3558
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I think we bullied a guy so hard on here he deleted his thread
Who got bullied? I miss everything these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #3559
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Who got bullied? I miss everything these days.
A guy opened a thread saying "invest in stocks, thats how I made money even when the economy is in a downturn" and basically everyone was like "congrats? don't care tho"
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13065.50
      04-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #3560
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Does weed help anxiety or make it worse?
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11486.00
King Rudi13065.50
      04-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #3561
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
A guy opened a thread saying "invest in stocks, thats how I made money even when the economy is in a downturn" and basically everyone was like "congrats? don't care tho"
I never saw that one but the title sounds like maybe it was a spam thread?

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #3562
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
she found 2 Hershey's
are you saying you gave her the hershey treatment or vice versa?
Yes, 2 Hershey's
      04-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #3563
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

I just inquired about a second Countach. Still white/white just like the first, but has the steering wheel on the other side in advance of when I return to NZ to retire.

Should I seek medical help?
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8201.00
King Rudi13065.50
      04-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #3564
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Asking for a friend.

If you can still spell that q word, you are good

I just retired the 4 roses. 3 bottles in 2 nights in the recycle bin

I'm back on call Monday . . .