BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Serious question in response to your serious question: Have you read the recent indictment? If not, start there: https://www.justice.gov/file/1080281/download

This went well beyond stealing and releasing some e-mails on Wikileaks.
I have not read indictments, but it gives me a place to start. The quoted info stated clearly emails. My mind is not closed, and that's why I asked. Thank You!
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #24
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I have not read indictments, but it gives me a place to start. The quoted info stated clearly emails. My mind is not closed, and that's why I asked. Thank You!
Very interested to hear your thoughts after you have read through it. I found it both fascinating and terrifying.

This part should worry any American, regardless of political party:

Quote:
43. Between in or around June 2016 and October 2016, the Conspirators used Guccifer 2.0 to
release documents through WordPress that they had stolen from the DCCC and DNC. The
Conspirators, posing as Guccifer 2.0, also shared stolen documents with certain individuals.
a. On or about August 15, 2016, the Conspirators, posing as Guccifer 2.0, received arequest for stolen documents from a candidate for the U.S. Congress. The Conspirators responded using the Guccifer 2.0 persona and sent the candidate stolen documents related to the candidate’s opponent.
b. On or about August 22, 2016, the Conspirators, posing as Guccifer 2.0, transferred approximately 2.5 gigabytes of data stolen from the DCCC to a then-registered state lobbyist and online source of political news. The stolen data included donor records and personal identifying information for more than 2,000 Democratic donors.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 07-17-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #25
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ the fact that the fbi did not examine the server should concern you. They trusted an outsourced firm hired by the dnc.

W.T.F?
sorry, but this is utter horse shit.

07-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #26
Real Dodger
Always exploring.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^ the fact that the fbi did not examine the server should concern you. They trusted an outsourced firm hired by the dnc.

W.T.F?
Is that according to Mark F.?
      07-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #27
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
James Comey.
      07-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #28
Real Dodger
Always exploring.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
James Comey.
What does Mark F. say?
      07-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #29
tracer bullet
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

LOL. So it wasn't the whole intelligence community, just some of it, including the CIA, FBI, and NSA. I guess that settles it then, it didn't happen unless all of them come out and publicly comment on it. Those first 3 aren't good enough, what do they know? Those are some good hoops to jump through to keep saying Russia didn't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Obama
/thread. FYI, he's on a real long vacation, with some occasional interviews or speaking appearances, so who gives a fuck at this point what he did or didn't do? I feel like that was a reply to some other thread that accidentally became its own thread because it's a slow day at the office for some people.
Appreciate 2
minn193625.00

07-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #30
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:

W.T.F?
Hold on there, Gonzo. Let's discuss this. What server are you talking about? There are multiple servers in play here. Also, by trusting an outsourced firm hired by the DNC, I assume you mean the firm the DNC initially hired during the election to figure out if they were hacked? Yes?

Are you saying the Mueller investigation built their entire case around 3rd party outsourced data from late 2016?
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #31
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hold on there, Gonzo. Let's discuss this. What server are you talking about? There are multiple servers in play here. Also, by trusting an outsourced firm hired by the DNC, I assume you mean the firm the DNC initially hired during the election to figure out if they were hacked? Yes?

Are you saying the Mueller investigation built their entire case around 3rd party outsourced data from late 2016?
Yes.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...owdstrike.html
      07-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #32
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
OK, got it. I'm not a digital forensics expert but I know a little bit given that I've hired servel onto my IT team over the years. The notion that the FBI needed to take physical access to the DNC server is bunk for several reasons:

1) A real-time image from a powered up server, in situ, with memory logs intact is far more useful than unplugging the box and handing it over. IOW, don't power it down, don't remove it, dont F with it. Isolate it from the network and grab logs and data from there.

2) You need to examine the entire network infrastructure to piece together what the indictment puts forth. The little DNC server was just the endpoint (aside from the physical devices connected to it). It's a piece to the puzzle but certainly not the focal point.

3) The server itself is useful but in the end not even needed. You and I are having a convo right now, Gonzo. What I'm positing goes from my physical PC to a physical server at my work, from there it hits a server about a mile from my office where it then shoots to a server in San Fran. From there it probably makes 2 to 3 more hops before it winds up on your ISP's server near you and ultimately to your PC. At each hop, a transaction log is stored. Pull out any one server in the chain and a rookie digital forensics intern can still piece together what's transpired. Think of it like a game of telephone: I comment to Lups, Lups relays the message to Anglo, Anglo relays the message to you. Pull you out of the equation and between me, Lups, and Anglo we still know what the conversation was and where it originated.
Appreciate 2
minn193625.00

07-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #33
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very interested to hear your thoughts after you have read through it. I found it both fascinating and terrifying.
OK, do none of our high-profile political parties have security experts?

W

T

FUCK!!!

No firewalls that track threats, no SSL decryption of outbound traffic to untrusted public sites. No URL filtering of malware/hacking sites. No training for end users not to click on spearfishing emails. I could go on and on, but that is disgraceful considering the ridiculous quantities of contributions these parties accept.

There are some inconsistencies in the level of detail. They have some very specific date/time logs of when Russian actors did specific things, in Russia, down to the minute, yet in other it's in or around a day or days. People proficient enough to develop X-agent don't even have their own machines with a software firewall and we were able to grab their log files???

Why would I target your computer to mine bitcoins, when I have your username/pw for the donation sites??? That would grant me direct access to funding that I could then transfer to one of my fictitious accounts. If all I needed was $95K in servers/cloud storage, that wouldn't even send up a yellow flag in 9 transactions within a week in a multi-billion $ account.

smh
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #34
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I haven't taken "a position" on anything, since the facts aren't in.... But since you mentioned it:

- part of what the Russians are accused of hacking are the voter databases in IL and IA - which are made publicly available,

- the focus of the investigations is "did the Russians hack," and completely ignores that the DNC, Hillary, and the rest of the idiots had highly sensitive information on private email servers, being printed off by maids, sitting on Weiner's unsecured laptop, etc.

If this wasn't a Witch Hunt, there would be a parallel investigation into Hillary, the DNC, and the Obama Administration. And further investigations into criminal charges for Hillary, Donna Brazile, Debbie Wasserman-Schulz.

But it is a Witch Hunt, so don't expect that.
So the Republican controlled Congress and White House are holding off on the parallel investigation of HRC, the DNC, and Obama because, why?
Because they are ineffectual idiots. The WH gets a semi-pass, as they have a lot to do and this would be a distraction; it's the job of Congress and the DoJ.
      07-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #35
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
OK, got it. I'm not a digital forensics expert but I know a little bit given that I've hired servel onto my IT team over the years. The notion that the FBI needed to take physical access to the DNC server is bunk for several reasons:

1) A real-time image from a powered up server, in situ, with memory logs intact is far more useful than unplugging the box and handing it over. IOW, don't power it down, don't remove it, dont F with it. Isolate it from the network and grab logs and data from there.

2) You need to examine the entire network infrastructure to piece together what the indictment puts forth. The little DNC server was just the endpoint (aside from the physical devices connected to it). It's a piece to the puzzle but certainly not the focal point.

3) The server itself is useful but in the end not even needed. You and I are having a convo right now, Gonzo. What I'm positing goes from my physical PC to a physical server at my work, from there it hits a server about a mile from my office where it then shoots to a server in San Fran. From there it probably makes 2 to 3 more hops before it winds up on your ISP's server near you and ultimately to your PC. At each hop, a transaction log is stored. Pull out any one server in the chain and a rookie digital forensics intern can still piece together what's transpired. Think of it like a game of telephone: I comment to Lups, Lups relays the message to Anglo, Anglo relays the message to you. Pull you out of the equation and between me, Lups, and Anglo we still know what the conversation was and where it originated.
Except Lups would screw the whole thing up, and get all the letters of the message turned around.

Some people....
      07-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #36
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Obama acted no different than Putin, the NSA monitored calls of 35 world leaders after US official handed over contacts, it was all approved by Obama!
MRGA
      07-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #37
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
OK, do none of our high-profile political parties have security experts?

W

T

FUCK!!!

No firewalls that track threats, no SSL decryption of outbound traffic to untrusted public sites. No URL filtering of malware/hacking sites. No training for end users not to click on spearfishing emails. I could go on and on, but that is disgraceful considering the ridiculous quantities of contributions these parties accept.
No kidding. Even my interns can spot phishing attempts a mile away.

Quote:
There are some inconsistencies in the level of detail. They have some very specific date/time logs of when Russian actors did specific things, in Russia, down to the minute, yet in other it's in or around a day or days. People proficient enough to develop X-agent don't even have their own machines with a software firewall and we were able to grab their log files???
I'm not sure what to make of that either. The indictments are written in very specific language to fit what the courts want. It's just a recap of the evidence, no the actual evidence itself. Without access to the actual evidence, we are all just guessing. But I agree with you it's odd. My take: 12 people indicted, varying levels of technical aptitude, arrogance, and laziness, perhaps?

Quote:
Why would I target your computer to mine bitcoins, when I have your username/pw for the donation sites??? That would grant me direct access to funding that I could then transfer to one of my fictitious accounts. If all I needed was $95K in servers/cloud storage, that wouldn't even send up a yellow flag in 9 transactions within a week in a multi-billion $ account.
Well that one is easy. $95k suddenly missing would certainly raise alarm bells. These guys were in there with complete access for months and months before anyone noticed.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #38
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

UncW.

Here's a project for you.
https://disobedientmedia.com/2018/07...public-domain/

I grasped some and the rest is on my ceiling.
      07-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #39
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
UncW.

it's pretty easy to debunk or write off the bulk of what I skimmed through. Basically it's calling a ton of things into question because the authors only have the indictment and not the actual evidence to go off of. Well no sh*t things dont make sense to you. You dont have the full picture.

My personal favorite gem:

Quote:
Again, everything found on Google relating to “blablabla1234565” is in relation to the indictment, where were these details during the past 2 years, where have they come from and how has X-Agent development/monitoring been traced back to this individual?
Seriously? Because you couldn't find anything on Google related to one of the Russian hackers, aside for the indictment, then he/she must be fabricated? Because he didn't leave a footprint on Google? Because this conspirator could not be Googled we are questioning how his/her actions were traced and discovered? Like the extent of our highest law enforcement's digital forensics toolkit is Google. What's next, Siri?

FBI - "Hey Siri, what was DB Cooper's real name?"
Siri - "I found a coopers deli not far from you. Would you like directions?"
FBI - 'Well we give up. This one's not getting solved."
FBI -"Hey Siri, who was the Zodiac Killer?"
Siri - "I found 3 websites related to Zodiac boats."
FBI - "Ah F it, let's go frame Trump."

Last edited by DETRoadster; 07-17-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Appreciate 4
Zlaatan567.00
minn193625.00

07-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #40
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ ending made me spit a bit.

I am as tech savvy as a bottle cap, which is why I asked for help. When I was a Director, IT was nothing more than a sprout.
I graduated from a pretty darn tough university before the internet. My internet was a Schwinn and a library.

Happy oldish man to me. Happy oldish man to me.

07-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #41
irishbimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:

W.T.F?
false-they have the images.

lock him up
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #42
Real Dodger
Always exploring.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
UncW.

it's pretty easy to debunk or write off the bulk of what I skimmed through. Basically it's calling a ton of things into question because the authors only have the indictment and not the actual evidence to go off of. Well no sh*t things dont make sense to you. You dont have the full picture.

My personal favorite gem:

Quote:
Again, everything found on Google relating to "blablabla1234565" is in relation to the indictment, where were these details during the past 2 years, where have they come from and how has X-Agent development/monitoring been traced back to this individual?
Seriously? Because you couldn't find anything on Google related to one of the Russian hackers, aside for the indictment, then he/she must be fabricated? Because he didn't leave a footprint on Google? Because this conspirator could not be Googled we are questioning how his/her actions were traced and discovered? Like the extent of our highest law enforcement's digital forensics toolkit is Google. What's next, Siri?

FBI - "Hey Siri, what was DB Cooper's real name?"
Siri - "I found a coopers deli not far from you. Would you like directions?"
FBI - 'Well we give up. This one's not getting solved."
FBI -"Hey Siri, who was the Zodiac Killer?"
Siri - "I found 3 websites related to Zodiac boats."
FBI - "Ah F it, let's go frame Trump."
It's all too easy to debunk his shit. Low hanging fruit.

07-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #43
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
UncW.

The scary part is that we do have to trust the alphabet-soup government agencies, and those they hire for tech support. Much of what was in that is techno-babble-legally-puts-maybe-a-question stuff. So can a judge and/or jury get to "beyond a reasonable doubt" level? Without seeing the details of the timing, coupled with my questions above about the indictment and variations in the timing called out, I can't really say.

You've seen those pictures of Marilyn singing Happy Birthday to Lincoln, right? IF someone wants to change the details and make it look like Fancy Bear was written on 9/11/99, it COULD be done. I could change my clock to that date, compile a version where I put my signature on it, and then say *I* originally wrote Fancy Bear, they are all just copying my work that I used just for my thesis, I never released it in the wild.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #44
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Anyone see information on Rice telling cyber security team to stand down on response to Russian attempts on US political targets?
Appreciate 0