BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #4973
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Well for you ETF fanboys. AT least you can buy inverse ETF during bear market.

Yes, ETF can be a good thing for people who doesn't have time or skill set to do hw.
      05-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #4974
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder View Post
Also DATA is now at $101, still climbing.
DATA had some good earnings and a lot of upgrades today. $112 day high, closed at $110
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #4975
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Bought DATA @ $94 | sold @ $112 - not bad for short-term, but I think they have room to expand with the new Public platform. I've used the software - it's pretty solid.
      05-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #4976
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Bought DATA @ $94 | sold @ $112 - not bad for short-term, but I think they have room to expand with the new Public platform. I've used the software - it's pretty solid.
I used the software extensively and loved it. The company I work for is looking at licensing it. So I'm in it for the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 02:49 AM   #4977
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I used the software extensively and loved it. The company I work for is looking at licensing it. So I'm in it for the long haul.
Insider trading!!!

Lol j/k
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #4978
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
Insider trading!!!

Lol j/k
hehe well truly its between two programs, this and SAS visual analytics. Tableau is a better program but people are comfortable with a bigger name like SAS
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #4979
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hehe well truly its between two programs, this and SAS visual analytics. Tableau is a better program but people are comfortable with a bigger name like SAS
Everytime I see San Antonio Shoes (SAS) store, it gives me nightmares about SAS.
      05-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #4980
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Retail sector sucks. Reminds me of 2001 and 2007-8 when retail went to the crap before majority of other sectors did.
      05-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #4981
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

What stocks are people watching these days?

Are you guys on Stocktwits?

Sort out the cheerleaders there and there is some good information. I found out MNGA like Monday of last week on there.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #4982
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
What stocks are people watching these days?

Are you guys on Stocktwits?

Sort out the cheerleaders there and there is some good information. I found out MNGA like Monday of last week on there.
What do you mean "what stocks are people watching"? Look at the market as a whole and then try to conclude what direction the economy is going in. Take a look at currencies to see what asset classes may benefit from rising US dollar and rising interest rates. There is so much to go on and on about before answering "what stocks are people watching".

I work in the industry and all I can say is move yourself away from single stock risk. Unless you have a play account and can lose those funds, i wouldn't be speculating on what some people are "watching".
      05-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #4983
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G View Post
What do you mean "what stocks are people watching"? Look at the market as a whole and then try to conclude what direction the economy is going in. Take a look at currencies to see what asset classes may benefit from rising US dollar and rising interest rates. There is so much to go on and on about before answering "what stocks are people watching".

I work in the industry and all I can say is move yourself away from single stock risk. Unless you have a play account and can lose those funds, i wouldn't be speculating on what some people are "watching".

What stocks are people watching to see when investor sentiment will change to ride some momentum, hit the stock with a couple jabs and earn some pennies to buy a nice happy meal.

That's what I meant.

Yes, I have a play account.

And what role within the industry?

And don't people watch items before they purchase? Kind of like Costco shopping. I'll be pissed if I ever buy a box of dove soap again when it's not on sale. I just watch the dove pricing and buy when it's down. Sometimes it takes a while. =P

Last edited by PoorLurker; 05-17-2015 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #4984
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What stocks are people watching to see when investor sentiment will change to ride some momentum, hit the stock with a couple jabs and earn some pennies to buy a nice happy meal.

That's what I meant.

Yes, I have a play account.

And what role within the industry?

And don't people watch items before they purchase? Kind of like Costco shopping. I'll be pissed if I ever buy a box of dove soap again when it's not on sale. I just watch the dove pricing and buy when it's down. Sometimes it takes a while. =P
Investor sentiment changes every day, in my opinion. So what is your strategy? What is time frame...?

Yes, people do watch before they purchase, but they are typically focused. They don't really scan the whole market...anyone who claims they do they are lying. If you are able to follow 20 stocks on a regular basis you are going to be better off becoming an expert in those 20 stocks then trying to watch and follow what the market is doing. Just from my experience though. I work on a derivatives trade desk.
      05-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #4985
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G View Post
Investor sentiment changes every day, in my opinion. So what is your strategy? What is time frame...?

Yes, people do watch before they purchase, but they are typically focused. They don't really scan the whole market...anyone who claims they do they are lying. If you are able to follow 20 stocks on a regular basis you are going to be better off becoming an expert in those 20 stocks then trying to watch and follow what the market is doing. Just from my experience though. I work on a derivatives trade desk.
Let me google what that means haha
(edit: investopedia has no video to explain it to the dummy either haha)

I'm a newb and don't really expect anything other than happy meal monies (post commission/taxes)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #4986
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Let me google what that means haha
(edit: investopedia has no video to explain it to the dummy either haha)

I'm a newb and don't really expect anything other than happy meal monies (post commission/taxes)
I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not? but i work on a trade desk (executing trades) that are either equity (stocks and ETF's) or derivative (single and multi leg vanilla options) based.

So I would say be underweight large cap domestic stocks and look for opportunity in small/mid caps for the next year. I would also look at developed international (Japan, UK, France, Germany). Emerging markets look nice too since they really benefit from lower oil prices, but China is a concern of mine since they cut interest rates again to stimulate growth. This will also devalue their currency, which has been really high for a while now and I think even the IMF has raised concern with the yaun based on where it is. However, a lot of small/mid cap companies will take advantage of a weak yaun against a stronger dollar, since their cost to import will go down (more purchasing power). For Emerging markets I don't really like Brazil or Russia, but i do like China, India, Taiwan, and South Africa. China just makes me a little nervous short term especially with how concentrated a lot of institutions are. It could unwind real quick.
      05-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #4987
WWM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
When is a good time to buy?
Why are you investing in apple? Do you expect the stock to go up?

Do you think stocks in general are over-priced?

Do you even know how to calculate cost-basis?

99% people on this thread have no clue what they are doing or what the criteria for their stock-picking should be.

Go invest in some total market index funds. Day-trading and stock-picking doesn't work for the average institutional or individual investor. The majority of actively managed funds (aka stock-pickers) under perform their relevant benchmark over the long term and short term.

SPIVA scorecards don't lie:

http://www.spindices.com/documents/s...-year-2014.pdf
Exactly.

Active stock mutual funds on average underperform the market, have inherent conflict of interests, and expose investors to high turnover (capital gains).

The avg. investor also underperforms the market because intelligent investing is counter-intuitive. Most end up selling and buying at the wrong times.

You're better off finding an active manager that invests in individual stocks and bonds, with low turnover, and results that outperform the market after fee. See how they did during the dot com bubble or financial crisis- a good manager will outperform during these crises. They are hard to find but they are out there.
      05-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #4988
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

El pollo Loco down again. Will other casual diner drop upcoming earning?
      05-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #4989
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
LOCO is on my watch list. Interested to see how people will act this week. Maybe jump in to see if I can get a quick 3-4% ride from it and leave with a handful of pennies.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #4990
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

On 5/19/15 I purchased shares of Walmart @ $76.39/share
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #4991
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Anyone waiting for Xiaomi ipo to hit the market?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #4992
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

That is so far the simplest and safest investment anyone has posted here. Nice!
I know you will sleep well relative to people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
On 5/19/15 I purchased shares of Walmart @ $76.39/share
      05-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #4993
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Retail sector sucks. Reminds me of 2001 and 2007-8 when retail went to the crap before majority of other sectors did.
Quote:
As for me, I am watching mainly retail who sells inferior/necessities.
-Casual Diners
-Fast foods
-Retails
-low end etails (also non-diversed)

This really reminds me of 6-8mo before the 1st -500 DJIA decline day in 2008. Although internet right now blame it on earnings, I believe CNBC that day was more focus on Chinese slow down.
After those sectors, I would be looking at data from Chinese like a hungry Hawk.

Historically, it is election season as well....
      05-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #4994
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That is so far the simplest and safest investment anyone has posted here. Nice!
I know you will sleep well relative to people here.
What good is sleeping if one never dreams?

hilosoraptor:
Appreciate 1