BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-07-2024, 05:46 PM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Noticed TRT Change Someone?

Wanted to ask Sedan_Clan if he’s observed TRT change any of his coworkers personalities. I’d imagine the police force likely is a job where many of its members are going that route.

Then I figured may as well ask the whole board.

One of my sons friends Dad who has become a friend of mine over the yrs, former deputy sheriff - hopped on the TRT bandwagon about 2-3 months ago. He seems to now be able to eat more garbage and not gain a lbs from it. His sense of humor and personality in general is alot more serious and less relaxed. To each their own I guess, but the trend for men getting Test injections instead of dialing in diet, sleep, exercise just seems bizarre to me. Particularly if they are already in very good physical shape.

Medically if someone’s levels are super low and there isn’t any other options because no amount of compound exercises, sleep or steak, or supportive supplements will help - then I’m for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1431.50
      08-07-2024, 07:58 PM   #2
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

"TRT" for many is a light perma-cycle. Once doctors realized they had a cash cow with getting men on injections (or pellets, etc.) for the rest of their lives, what used to be a near-impossibility became "come on in!" I spent most of my adult life with Test in the 200's/300's, and it wasn't until my late 30's when it tanked to the double digits and would get out of breath taking a shower that a doctor finally said "maybe we should do something about that." So I am primary hypogonadic. Most men are secondary and are only mildly deficient and would be better off with something like hCG monotherapy or maybe Clomid... or perish the thought, cleaning up their diet and start moving!

Definitely can change someone's personality... on a fundamental level even. Hormonal changes to behavior are very subtle to the one experiencing them... but not to those on the outside.

It boggles my mind seeing mildly deficient men (and likely due to lifestyle choices) go to a clinic and come out with a script for 200mg per week of Test. Absolutely nuts.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2024, 08:42 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I wouldn't touch it unless / until I became deficient enough to notice. I had a young doctor look at a routine physical blood test for me (10+ years ago) and suggest it based on a mild deficiency reading in a single blood test, despite not having any symptoms. I read up on it, its potential side effects and the likelihood of never getting off it, and decided I wanted to talk to another doctor, which I did. He said he wouldn't recommend it in the absence of exhibiting some indications it was necessary. I never saw that first doctor again but thought it was very odd she made such a suggestion that would affect the rest of my life based off a blood test without even monitoring trends.
Esteban51069.00
nerdogray1431.50
      08-07-2024, 08:51 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I wouldn't touch it unless / until I became deficient enough to notice. I had a young doctor look at a routine physical blood test for me (10+ years ago) and suggest it based on a mild deficiency reading in a single blood test, despite not having any symptoms. I read up on it, its potential side effects and the likelihood of never getting off it, and decided I wanted to talk to another doctor, which I did. He said he wouldn't recommend it in the absence of exhibiting some indications it was necessary. I never saw that first doctor again but thought it was very odd she made such a suggestion that would affect the rest of my life based off a blood test without even monitoring trends.
About a year ago my doctor suggested we test for it before my next exam. I had no desire to do so. This year's exam came and went and it was never mentioned, which was fine with me. I have enough other issues to deal with without screwing things up further.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
RickFLM411512.50
nerdogray1431.50
      08-07-2024, 09:41 PM   #5
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Test was 330ish 15 months ago, I had all of the symptoms, and felt crappy. . Doc wanted me on TRT. I read about the side effects and decided it would be my last resort. In 6 months of strength training and HIIT exercise, my Testosterone doubled. No drugs. That was 8 months ago, and when I get tested again in 4 months I expect even better numbers.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1431.50
      08-08-2024, 06:54 AM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Test was 330ish 15 months ago, I had all of the symptoms, and felt crappy. . Doc wanted me on TRT. I read about the side effects and decided it would be my last resort. In 6 months of strength training and HIIT exercise, my Testosterone doubled. No drugs. That was 8 months ago, and when I get tested again in 4 months I expect even better numbers.
Well done Mason Hatcher. HIIT is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 09:47 AM   #7
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I'd ask them to back that claim up somehow. Everything causes cancer. I could see an argument being made that chronic exposure to certain carrier oils, solvents, etc. (assuming injection) may increase cancer risk, but to say replacing or augmenting your testosterone levels with more testosterone outright causes cancer is a questionable position.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 10:13 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Testosterone was referred to as 'the death hormone' in the past, linked to all kinds of negative cardiovascular events (and a strong correllation with violent impulsive behavior). I DK if they have reversed all those findings, but I doubt it; suggests caution and a clinical reason to supplement, not just a desire to 'be better'.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2024, 10:34 AM   #9
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Testosterone was referred to as 'the death hormone' in the past, linked to all kinds of negative cardiovascular events (and a strong correllation with violent impulsive behavior). I DK if they have reversed all those findings, but I doubt it; suggests caution and a clinical reason to supplement, not just a desire to 'be better'.
After my Dr suggested TRT, I did a lot of research. TRT increases the risk of heart attack and stroke. My father had a heart attack and subsequent 4-way bypass when was the age I am now. It was not worth the risk to me unless I exhausted all other options.

Who knew getting fit would be the answer?
Appreciate 1