Thread: Rolex
View Single Post
      07-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #100
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'd still consider Rolex as a luxury brand. IMO they are the baseline or bottom of the true luxury brands. There's lots below Rolex like Tag, and lots above as well. They make their own movements, which IMO is one thing that puts a brand into the "luxury" realm.
"Sports" watches, just about every brand makes them, so I wouldn't rate a brand as luxury or not because many of their models are sports models. JLC makes their Master Compressor models, IWC has the Aquatimers, Patek makes their Nautilus, Vacheron makes the Overseas, Hublot the Big bang, Audemars the Royal Oak, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I wouldn't really think of Rolex as a luxury watch either, at least outside of the Cellini line. The regular line of Daytonas, GMT's, Datejusts, Seamasters and Subs are all sports watches, even with a million diamonds glued to them and made out of soft metals.

JLC would be the big volume leader of what I'd call a luxury watch maker, and of course PP and VC would be the style leaders in luxury watches.

I'm not basing this on price though, as Richard Mille, while comically expensive is something I'd still consider much more of a sports watch than a luxury watch.
Appreciate 0