View Single Post
      06-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Nice. I've always admired the B&O design. Only B&O items I own are the earbuds. Found it funny that they were used as a prop in Minority Report. Don't think many would recognize that.

Always been into high fidelity and acoustics as a kid from my dad's interest. Really got into it in college when I was given an old Harman Kardon Citation B. Got into the hype with Bose and got a pair of 4.2 speakers. They weren't bad but not great. Eventually upgraded to an Acoustimass AM-5 and thought I had reached the pinnacle. I happened to visit a local audio boutique near my college. They didn't brush me off as some poor college tire kicker. They took the time to show me around and introduce me to what is possible with well engineered components. That's when I got hooked and went down the black hole of seeking audio nirvana. I returned the AM-5s and bought a pair of open box Mirage M490s....which I still own to this day running the audio for my family room.

While it's not top dollar this is my current reference system:

Could have spent a lot more but focused on the best value for the money as things got to the point of diminishing returns. At my vacation home, I have a smaller system which is a 2.1 system. Essentially components I've upgraded from. Still a very good system. I recently had to buy a new amp as the Emotiva XPA-2 gen 1 took a dump in my reference system. I moved the XPA-2 I had in my 2.1 system over to my reference system and purchased the new Adcom GFA 555se from the newly revived company. Nice to see the Nelson Pass designed Adcom amps live on.

I remember the Hafler amps. Great find. I often reminisce about those days when Apogee, Mirage, Counterpoint, Carver, and the like were all alive and well. Things have certainly changed with this hobby these days and in many ways not for the better.
Appreciate 6
MunkyTool542.50
overcoil3073.50
ashmostro1251.00
OM3RTA391.00