United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
There's nothing to stop tesla from using Lidar or a combination of lidar and optical camera.

Waymo seems to be solving a simpler problem of shuttling people around, not sure they will advance far out of that. Tesla is going for point A to point B navigated driving, they are going for the moon
Other than Elon. He mandated Tesla "autopilot" has to use cameras and no lidar. Like a human. Except we're nowhere near being able to extract the data needed from cameras alone.

I don't understand your second point. Tesla is doing what's referred to in the industry as SAE Level 3. Driver aid, able to complete a lot of tasks on its own, but still requires human to intervene.

Waymo and others are doing SAE L4/L5. No human intervention needed for operation in geofenced areas and then beyond. And my point is that particularly for Autonomous operation in non-geofenced areas (L5) you need more sensory capabilities than Tesla has in any of their vehicles.

So who is going for the moon here?
I get your point, both companies are taking steps to get to full L5 autonomy. Even though Tesla has always had a human as the failsafe, you get the feeling that they are just using people as monitors for risk mitigation as they improve it and eventually can less the cars run fully on their own. In contrast Waymo is removing the person earlier on but in more controlled environments and then intending to venture later into more unpredictable environments. They just have different paths to the moon
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50