09-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Adding an inline 11 HP e-motor to the driveshaft seems only not-hybrid due to the size of the e-motor. Make it a 111 HP w/ a larger battery and now you've got hybrid, right?

Add a plug and now it's a PHEV.

Seems to me BMW is going all hybrid, but trying to downplay it with wording, rather than function but ... tomato toMAHto?
I don't believe this is BMW trying to downplay or talk us into hybrids. The system has a number of benefits at an overall cost that makes it worth doing. From what I have read - regenerative braking (free energy), to smooth and efficient stop/starts, to quickly heating up the cabin (electric power), running all heat and a/c off electric, boosting power as needed, then with a relatively small battery and motor. It takes many of the things that the ICE doesn't do well and reduces their problems.

As long as it all works reliably then I don't think most consumers will care that they have a new system. No extra maintenance, you don't plug it in, you just get in an drive it like every other car.