View Single Post
      07-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Phone Docking Cradle - does this bypass bluetooth connection?

This is a question regarding US E90s. It amy apply to other markets as well.

From the description copied and pasted from the BMWUSA website, it sounds as though there is a direct connection between the phone and the car that no longer uses bluetooth when the phone is in the cradle. However, I'm a little paranoid, especially as I'm finding that the bluetooth connection is not 100% as good as it might be. Sometimes my phone and the car just do not connect, and although they can be persuaded to behave properly after lots of pairing attempts, I hope that when I get my cradle, this problem goes away, and I'll no longer be using the bluetooth method of connection - it will use good, old fashioned wires.

Is this a reasonable hope?

Here is the BMW description:

This system provides a safe and secure place to dock your phone while driving and will charge your phone battery when the vehicle is running. The adaptor also provides a connection to the roof-mounted telephone antenna on your car for improved cellular reception. Best of all, snap-in adaptors are available for a variety of phones and can be changed out to accept a different phone in seconds.
BMW Integration
This system is only compatible with vehicles equipped with BMW assist with Bluetooth wireless technology. System base plate is required.

1998 323is SP manual with all the goodies in ArktisSilber + 330i auto SP PP CW iDrive/Nav SatRadio Active Steering Arktis/Beige/Poplar
Appreciate 0