View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #864
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I do think the C7 was certainly capable against the competition, but had a much stronger ability to expose poor driving than the mid/rear competition. The C8 should allow the average weekend Tom to look better even if it doesn't provide the likes of Randy Pobst a huge advantage over the C7.
C7 is surprisingly easy to drive fast. Don't forget the entire engine sits behind the front axle.

What took longer for me to get used to is the way the throttle responds and how torque is delivered, but that's no fault of GM or Corvette engineering team. The torque surges instantaneously and down low. It's great for acceleration, but horrible for fine control in corners. I need to relearn how to drive as evident by my sh*tty driving.

This happened 2 laps in a row. It's hard to finesse 460 ft-lbs of torque that comes on at less than 2,000 RPM. I get so used to the bulk of the torque not being available until 4,000 RPM that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how quickly the back-end can come out.

That's not going to change with mid engine. The back-end actually rotates quicker and easier with a mid engine design, because more of the weight is centered around the center of gravity rather than at each end of the car. A mid engine car will allow for easier and BETTER control of the slide, so you won't be tank slapping the car across half the turn, but a better driver it will not make you, in fact, if you don't know what you're doing, a mid rear engine, rear drive will bite you faster than a front engine, rear drive.

But GM's stability control system is off the charts good. Yes I tend to drive without it on track, and anyone getting the C8 for track use, I'd recommend leaving at least some semblance of performance traction management on for track use.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00