View Single Post
      09-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #56
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Same boat here. I think I'm just gonna replace my battery in my 6S and hold it 1 more year till the "S" year models come out.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/n...310-3g#details

I used to upgrade every other year. Original iPhone > 3GS > 4S > 5S > 6S.

Now I've had the 6S for 4 years. Perfect condition still, it's just the battery that's not doing so hot. I don't like the size increases - imo the 4S was the perfect size. The smallest of the new generations are still larger than my current 6S. Given that I think I'm going to make this phone last another year at least, future proofing habits from here on out are coming into play - if I keep the 11S Pro or whatever (when it comes out in another year) for 5 years till 2025, what're things going to look like by then?

5G comes with its own set of security / risk challenges hardly anyone is talking about vs "zomg speeeeeeed". My current usage is sitting at 1.0 TB cellular data with 2.4 GB roaming for the current period (20 days, 13 hours). I rarely use Wi-Fi at all. So believe me, I'm eager for it too, but security is something of a pet peeve of mine and I don't understand how it isn't a higher priority for everyone else given constant high profile leaks from the most basic attackers. Stuff like Facebook storing passwords in a friggin rich text file for example. I think InfoSec should be a required part of the curriculum for CS, SE, and EE majors. As it stands, it's an elective in most places.

As apps have exploded onto the marketplace; as phones gain new cameras, features, and broadcast/receive capabilities; as speeds increase and dependency on 5G for more and more infrastructure / IoT / etc increases; you'd better believe we'll be seeing a hell of a lot more vulnerabilities popping up faster than we can fix them unless we start training engineers to think security NOW.
I agree with your sentiment about having proper security. But making INFOSEC type classes mandatory for various majors in college is not going to solve the problem.

The problem is putting in any security is not something that falls into a C level person's ROI financial report. As far as many managers are concerned, INFOSEC is just an IT hole money gets thrown into without any monetary gains/benefit. Until laws are structured which hits corporations hard when they don't practice proper security, you're going to continually see more and more of these breaches. I would also go as far as holding individuals criminally liable under certain circumstances; the Equifax breach comes to mind here.
Appreciate 0