View Single Post
      09-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #48
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have an iPhone 6s and I, once again, don't have a compelling reason to upgrade.

Besides, why on earth are they still selling iPhones with 64GB of memory? Just to show you a "low, introductory" price where you're then forced to yet again fork over more money just to get a measly 128GB or 256GB? F'in idiots.
Same boat here. I think I'm just gonna replace my battery in my 6S and hold it 1 more year till the "S" year models come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Considering going back to a flip phone.
https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/n...310-3g#details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I still have my Motorola V3 Razr. I should pull it out - wonder if I can get a sim for it and I wonder if it still works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
I agree; especially in years that only introduce incremental upgrades.

5G is already confirmed in that model...that's enough to wait it out. Makes more sense from a "future proof" standpoint any way you cut it.
I used to upgrade every other year. Original iPhone > 3GS > 4S > 5S > 6S.

Now I've had the 6S for 4 years. Perfect condition still, it's just the battery that's not doing so hot. I don't like the size increases - imo the 4S was the perfect size. The smallest of the new generations are still larger than my current 6S. Given that I think I'm going to make this phone last another year at least, future proofing habits from here on out are coming into play - if I keep the 11S Pro or whatever (when it comes out in another year) for 5 years till 2025, what're things going to look like by then?

5G comes with its own set of security / risk challenges hardly anyone is talking about vs "zomg speeeeeeed". My current usage is sitting at 1.0 TB cellular data with 2.4 GB roaming for the current period (20 days, 13 hours). I rarely use Wi-Fi at all. So believe me, I'm eager for it too, but security is something of a pet peeve of mine and I don't understand how it isn't a higher priority for everyone else given constant high profile leaks from the most basic attackers. Stuff like Facebook storing passwords in a friggin rich text file for example. I think InfoSec should be a required part of the curriculum for CS, SE, and EE majors. As it stands, it's an elective in most places.

As apps have exploded onto the marketplace; as phones gain new cameras, features, and broadcast/receive capabilities; as speeds increase and dependency on 5G for more and more infrastructure / IoT / etc increases; you'd better believe we'll be seeing a hell of a lot more vulnerabilities popping up faster than we can fix them unless we start training engineers to think security NOW.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615140.50
King Rudi13154.00