View Single Post
      07-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Great convo going here, but let me play devil's advocate for a second.

You must remember that the last small, simple, entry level car BMW introduced in the states, the 318ti, was a complete flop in every respect. True, it was simply a underwhelming product, but you have to remember that this is probaly weighing on their minds greatly.

Then you see how the A3 is doing here. Not too great. Most months are bagging less than 700-800 total sales with two models which is pretty much horrible for the car's price range. Sure, the car has hardly been marketed (people do not know about it). But, that car is a great car to drive and it still has only been met with a modest market reaction. I think it even may won a MT car of the year class (entry level luxory), but still not many people buy.

I have no doubt the 2 (or 1) will be sweet. I also think that it will sell. But for the latter to happen, BMW has to make sure that the car LOOKS like a BMW inside and out. It must have quality and luxory from the outset (something that the 2002 really did not have), or it could risk looking like a "poor mans" BMW, instead of the lightweight, basic reincarnation of the 2002 that we know it as (this would be fatal IMO). Image is so important in the states (more than anyother major luxory market IMO) that BMW is probally giving itself fits making sure the quality (in materials) AND performance are both there for a reasonable price.

The next few months (hopefully) will tell alot IMO. But then again, I have been thinking that for every "couple" month span for the past two years....
Appreciate 0