View Single Post
      07-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest
We know a lot, but really only a little about the 2-series. We also know that BMW is in the habit of leading, not following. But I though it would be interesting to launch a discussion about the competition as a way of putting some more definition on what the 2 may be. In other words, speculation is largely about looking at the competition's pricing, power, features, etc... even knowing that BMW isn't going to just produce an A3 variant. So here are the cars the 2 will likely compete against, at least for my dollar:

Mini Cooper S (and JCW Edition)
VW GTI
Audi A3
Mercedes B200 (and Turbo)
VW Eos (coming very soon)

And with some hesitation I'll include:
Honda Civic Si
Mazdaspeed3 (not yet available, but well known)

Thoughts? Where will the 2 fit into this picture, in it's own unique way? Have I forgotten any?
Definately a good idea .

It all depends on how BMW plays their cards IMO. They could easily make this car the most performance enthusiast biased with RWD and the N54 turbo, but it would probaly also be by far the most expensive. Out of that list it's main competitors IMO will be the more upscale offerings, i.e. the Eos, A3, and B200 (if it ever gets to the states), along with the upcoming C30. The others listed are more "cheap" speed than the 2 (or 1). I think the size and output of the engine that they stuff into this little car will tell alot.
Appreciate 0