View Single Post
      05-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #46
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
You are missing the point that Frank and I are making. The front grill does not align, compliment or syncronize with the rest of the car in any way. Random shapes not blended properly will never do that. The language does not align with what BMW has been doing for the last 50 years. Whether you like it or not.

You can argue you like odd shapes with no flow or continuity. That's great, most people don't. Just as you can argue you like Cattelan better than Rembrant, but most people don't. I'm sure you like the house in the pic I attached, I don't. But please don't argue those shapes are examples of elegance, artistic flow, complimentary continuity. That's what the industry tried in the 1970's and it's why so many cars from that era are on ugliest cars in history lists.

And sales are a really poor gauge. Many co's are breaking sales records, including some Nissan models which are actually uglier that some of the new BMW models. Not everyone buy's for looks. My cousin had a Pontiac Aztek because it was the best car for her needs and practical. She made fun of the looks just as much as everyone else.

I make fun of the odd shapes on my car that don't flow, but it was the best option for what I wanted. And speaking of sales, I was told I would have to wait 2 years for an RS3 and pay a huge markup. I custom ordered, waited 3 mos. and got a $1500 discount on my BMW.

And when 90% of the comments on an enthusiast site like Car and Driver representing all brands say something looks like &*%$, it's just not honest to say most people like it.

Again, of you like it, [...]
Brother, I stopped reading after you said sales are a terrible way to measure these things.

I disagree with you that the grill doesn’t align with the rest of the car. I think it looks perfect. I think it’s entirely aggressive and wonderful looking. And Sales my friend are absolutely the only way to gauge a products success. Any product. Why don’t you go to any business owner and let them know that sales don’t matter. Take it easy brother.
Appreciate 0