View Single Post
      09-11-2022, 10:04 PM   #4
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
I've done many a brisket - and many in the 20lb range - but never attempted to do one in anything other than my dedicated smoker. I'm sure there are instructions floating around somewhere online for that.

Here are a few of my random tips (it's a brisket, Texas style is best)

1) better to under trim than to over trim in my experience. The fat affords some room for error.

2) the best rub is simple. Slather with mustard then coat with a salt and pepper mix. Liberally.

3) it takes how ever long its going to take. Can be 6 hours, can be 9. Many factors.

4) there are no degrees of done-ness for a brisket, it must be well done, and get there low and slow, to get the right texture.

5) traditionally, it's done by feel, but I go by temp. Get a Wi-Fi thermometer (not a crappy Bluetooth)

6) no foil. When you hit the stall, you can spritz with a mop (really whatever you want) but always wrap in pink butcher paper for the Texas crutch.

7) if it hits temp too early, theres no shame in keeping it in the butcher paper, and keeping it in an oven at 200f. The last one I made, we kept it in the oven for 5 hours to hold, and it was amongst the best I've ever done.
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6452.50