04-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #586
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I don't think it's all the same. Your standard for a fake watch is different than what I'd look for in a fake. The movement needs to be good, the look as close to authentic as possible. Why wear a watch that looks bad?

Of course it there is diminishing return after a certain price point in terms of quality but generally the more you pay, the better it'll be. They differentiate the products based on what the buyer is looking for. They can offer cheap $100 ones and higher end ones which look closer to genuine and offer better movements and/or complications.

As for the movement, on the list you linked, the Chinese 2824 movement cost $157 CAD. http://www.perrinwatchparts.com/prod...ment_2824.aspx While that isn't very expensive, it is above the cost of a $100 watch. You'll find 2824 and 2836-2 clones in most of the higher end fakes. These movements cost more. Yes, the cheaper ones will work as well but because they are low beat movements, they won't sweep as smooth as the high beat watches - details that matter if you care about it.

Anyway, we are going way off topic... Suffice it to say that you can get fake watches at many price points with varying levels of detail reproduction and lots of movement choices.
Red:
Of that I have no doubt. I don't care how well it approximates the real thing. Moreover, I don't actually look for fakes, but I have bought plenty of them to use as "door prizes" at firm team building and networking events. I haven't heard folks complain; I have heard folks say they are surprised at how well they perform and that they look surprisingly similar to the authentic article. The folks who "win" one find them to be amusing novelties.

Blue:
Yes we are. Suffice to say neither you nor I have an issue with other folks wearing fake watches. I suspect too that neither of us ascribes to the logical fallacy (or it's variants) "fake watch, fake person." I certainly don't.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0