View Single Post
      10-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Long story short, before, if it were a good plan, why not leave it? But recently, many employers impose a fee, say $17.50 for mine, per quarter, to leave it. If you have 500k, then the $17.50x4 is not an issue, if it's a good plan. But if you have $1000, then the $17.50 is going to add up and you can always get a IRA. My wife was in this boat for a co. that she only stayed < 1 yr. She did a T Rowe Price target fund, it was not bad and had low fees.

In my case, my current employer pays a high salary, but the 401k is lame. Really high expense ratios, what can I do? So I would not want to roll.

Again, the reason to roll is to get out of fees that you may face, or if the plan is below average.

My wife was briefly employed at the largest mutual fund co. in the US, or at least tied. My last 401k is there. I had better choices in my plan, than she did as an employee. I am also in some closed to new investors funds, so I just grin and bear the $17.50x4 or $70/yr. If I rolled into an IRA, some of those funds are closed already.
Appreciate 1