View Single Post
      05-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #9
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
If you go back a few years the only problem you see with deteriorated interior upholstery is with vinyl or Sensatec interiors. Even on our 1-series, the Sensatec will crack in the primary wear points of entry and even the leather interiors after 2011 are only partial leather with the side panels on the seats in Sensatec and that's where the cracking starts first. I've even had Sensatec customer cars in the past where we've had to replace the seat covers during the warranty period for cracking. Now the new Sensatec may be different but, for me, it's still too early to tell, given past performance. In my mind the only reason to not get leather is either color choice (weirdly some BMWs offer colors in Sensatec you can't get in leather) or to save $1400. I always ask: Do you wear plastic shoes? Even perforated Sensatec doesn't really breathe. It does feel softer to the touch simply because it is, by definition, a "plastic" material, especially when it's warm. But then it is hotter to the touch in hot weather and colder to the touch in cold weather. My 20-year-old cars with full leather still look perfect, but maybe leather isn't really "leather" anymore, either, just as Sensatec is nowhere near as durable as BMW Skai Vinyl was back in the Neu Range cars of the '60s and '70s. My 50-year-old "leatherette" on my 1600 convertible is still in great shape. But back then "leatherette" was thicker than today and so was leather.

But, yeah, what's the hurry to decide? What false promises is your dealership making on delivery? We're still waiting for cars that were ordered under the first pre-order one-year ago.
Appreciate 3
OUGrad05526.50
DanG10660.50
Germanauto9702.50