View Single Post
      02-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #39
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Not sure, I have Spotify Premium, but I never use their charts as a reference to figure out what's good. Perhaps this is the reason why you feel a certain way about the genre if you find yourself limited to Spotify's database.

Here are two covers of Gucci Gang that may make you think twice about Hip-Hop being dead:

Lucas Joyner

TheRealAK

Furthermore on Drake, he basically paved the way for new school artists like Khalid, Swae Lee, French, and etc on how it's cool to sing and rap at the same time. But if you want to take it back further, no one thought of Bone Thugs as being soft back when they were singing and rapping in the 90s. Everyone was digging their style despite the fact that no one understood what they were saying in real time.

Here's an interesting question: If you were stranded on an island and you could pick just 1 Hip-Hop artist to listen to forever, who would you pick?

With all due respect to the late Tupac (hometown legend) and BIG, I would pick Drake over them easily. Heck, I might even go with 90s NAS (iLLMatic, Nastradamus, Stillmatic) over Tupac, but that's just me.
Bone Thugs was a flash in the pan, though. No one talks about them when they're talking about superstars.

NAS would be a solid desert island pick. He put out a lot of clunkers to go along with his amazing stuff, though. Not sure who I'd pick, but it wouldn't be Tupac. If I pick Wu Tang, do I get all their solo and associated acts, too? If so, Wu Tang.
Appreciate 0