United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It doesn't work TBH. AUstralia is SAVAGE with speeding in particular as well as drink driving. Every cop has a breathaliser in the car and can test you at any time for no reason and we catch a LOT of people, but people still do it. The fines are enormous too, and for speeding the fines are insanely high with virtually zero tolerance and there are speed cameras EVERYWHERE ... yet people speed.
Yeah, it's inherently flawed to think that punishment/fines will prevent people from doing stuff. If they think they can get away with it, they will try. There are also plenty of people that will act irrationally when they go through their "decision process" to speed/drink, etc. The problem is we keep trying to apply rational thoughts to this: "well, if I do this, it could result in that". So what is the solution, 1 highway patrol/trooper for every 10 people? It'll never work.
On the contrary, in Europe where the DUI penalties are very high, many people do not touch car keys after a single beer. It makes a difference. Granted they also have better public transit.

However, I stop short of saying that excessive fines prevent all bad behavior. Some bad apples are going to push the envelope no matter what.

The tesla FSD beta has clearly been given to a very select group of users - likely even with NDAs and no-sue waivers. The leap from this group to a general Tesla-owner group will be a big leap. If anyone can pull this off it is Tesla, but it wont be easy it wont be quiet.
Appreciate 0