10-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Been very, very bearish about this since day 1. I have always maintained that for it to work, drivers need to be banned so the cars can all communicate. This idea that Level 4 is acceptable or Level 5 with a mix of Ai and real drivers on the road will work is hogwash. It's astoundingly difficult and some of the world's largest companies have walked away from it in recent years basically saying "this is just too fucking hard".

5 years ago I said 25 years before this works, and i stand by it.
The Legal impacts and Governmental regulation have not yet been addressed. The US Government, as most other Western countries governments, regulate EVERYTHING regarding private transportation, from the design, manufacturing and recycling of automobiles, down to the reflectivity specifications of paint used to mark roads. So to think the US Government is going to let private companies develop and operate an automation system for private automobiles is being ignorant of the realties involved. To think personal injury lawyers are not going to impact the implementation of autonomous driving is equivalent to thinking the sun doesn't cause climate change.

While the autonomous technology is extremely difficult to develop and implement, the legal and governmental challenges are the most difficult issues to overcome, and they are not even yet fully known. These issues will take decades to resolve. Mixing humans with self-driving machines will further increase the time and cost of adoption.

Some engineering exercises are not worth the pursuit. How about we just make people more responsible for operating their automobiles. Real simple.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3