Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Apples to oranges. Modded cars come with accepted risks. A car manufacturer has to consider the longevity of their product. Could BMW do what enthusiasts here suggest? Sure! ….but with that comes more liability on their part. They are a business and their priority is mitigating the risks associated with their products.

Yes, plenty of modified cars do fine, but many have issues and the owners of modified cars aren't always honest, accountable vehicle owners who accept that their actions fucked things up. No, they try to circumvent responsibility and place it back on the manufacturer (…or repair the surface issues and trade the vehicle in, leaving the problem(s) for the next owner to deal with).

BMW, like every other manufacturer, offers a product that will reasonably present minimal mechanical and electrical issues should you leave the car in the state you purchased it. For the issues that arise, that's what the warranty is for. Altering the vehicle outside of manufacturer specifications is the risk modders accept.
Sure I don't disagree with any of that, but how many F8X modded cars have we heard of having issues with the 6MT or DCT for that matter? I've been on the forums every day for years (like you have too I know hah!) and I cannot remember a single time somebody has mentioned a broken transmission. I'm just simply saying BMW could easily provide for a 6MT that could put out the same power level as a Comp G8X and much more reliably. They're simply choosing not to do it and in my belief, pushing people away from 6MT while pretending they still care about the platform.

We gotta be honest here, are we really trying to argue that BMW couldn't provide a 6MT which could handle another 20-25% of the torque the F8X series had and do it reliably? I just cannot buy the argument they aren't easily capable of accomplishing such a feat. I believe they either want to quietly kill the 6MT by making them lesser cars, or don't want to invest the money in R&D for a transmission that will have far fewer buyers (the latter I think is what is going on).

What do you car about these lowly BMWs anyway, go drive that Porsche!
I still love my BMW's!

If I were a company and I wanted to kill off the MT's, I would've done it when all of my competitors did it so I could hide under the veil of, "Well they did it too!!!!"

That was easily 10….12-ish years ago or maybe more. The fact that BMW is still bringing multiple MT equipped cars to the masses in 2023 is a testament to their commitment to the U.S. of A's love for that transmission. I think they've demonstrated they are committed for as long as they can make it financially reasonable to do so.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17442.00
seis-speed2430.50