View Single Post
      04-18-2024, 05:17 PM   #19
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
You drove a two-litre diesel station wagon and thought it was not sporty and aggressive enough???

Breaking news, base BMWs that are bought for fleet use or families are not as fun. Go drive an E36 316i and tell me you're having fun with the measly 75 kW and slow-ass steering.

That said, yes, the E90 is peak 3 Series. I have an G21 Alpina and I can tell you it's "fun" for an AWD two-tonne station wagon, but I do miss the E91 from a driving perspective still.

This thread here has of course steered into a chat about M cars only, which only take up a rather small percentage of sold BMWs.

G3x 5er, G05 X5, G2x 3er, they're all really great all-rounders - better than their predecessors in a lot of ways - though heavily dependent on how optioned they are. More than ever before whilst having to adhere to connectivity, safety and eco bullshit regulations and customer expectations.
I've driven an e36 318 before and despite soft in terms of power delivery, the car and handling still felt very BMW-like. Had a F20 118i recently as well, VERY impressed with that car! Definitely not a powerhouse by any means, but still had the distinct BMW feel that I love. This G21 was very different from those. Not power but overall feel of the car, just felt bulky and soft, and more cramped inside than my E90.

I haven't given up completely. I'll do one of these performance driving events and I'm looking forward to trying G80 and G87...
Appreciate 0