CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I do not argue about the results of a dedicated tire. Don't get me wrong: I run ultra rubber on my summer toy.
However, I do disagree in regards with the all weather. I took my driver's licence (and the racing one) in Europe. Not where is given for free (Canada).
I don't sacrifice anything. I don't need optimal, I need good (some are very good). The rest I do it myself.
They work very well not OK if you know when is time for replacement. And I run fast; very fast. And I pass many Ms and AMG with my setup.
For a daily driven car on regular street use, the difference between summer tires and all-season is not as great as the difference between winter tire and all-season tires. I can understand that there is no real need to go with pure summer tires on a mainstream vehicle. However, for the winter, a single emergency situation makes it very well worth it. The difference between all-season and winter tires is that dramatic.

Quote:
Yes, dedicated are great. Until a sudden snow storm hits you in the middle of august or June (happens every year). Suddenly, your vehicle is a sliding duck. For where I am living this is the best for me.
I don't get snow in the summer where I live. With tire swaps in mid-april and mid-november, I've never got caught with the wrong tires. But I can understand someone wanting to run all season tires during the summer months in an environment that sees snow in June.

Quote:
And BTW: an AWD with all weather is much better than a one axle with winter. Now I let you do the math in terms of how many one axle traction vehicles are on the road.

Yes, there is some loss, however, I you know the limits of your setup, you will do very well. Just know how, when and with how much you can attack a situation. Easy.
I'll have to disagree on that one. While AWD with all-season might maybe have an advantage in straight line acceleration, it will be at a disadvantage when cornering and when braking where AWD does not help.

While there might be the exceptional driver that has way above average skills, it is not the case for the masses. Before they made winter tires mandatory, it was inevitable, during the first snow storm of the year, you would see all the AWD vehicles in the ditch.

Quote:
Also, keeping a wealthy amount of rubber (DWS tells you when your snow pattern is gone for example), helps a lot. A very used or bold winter tire = zero.
For sure. A bald tire will not provide much grip.

Quote:
In regards with your statistics, I really hate when the state police tells me what should I install on the vehicle.
I beg to disagree. Having been rear ended once by someone with all-season tires in my E46 M3 (before it was mandated by law), I am very happy it is now compulsory. And BTW, there are so many other things dedicated by regulation on our cars for safety purposes.

Quote:
Better invest in a tough law for driving school requirements and have the driving exam given in theory (20 minutes maxim in a class supervised by Police only), then if you pass, a skills driving exam in a safe environment with a Police officer, if you pass that a day driving exam with only a Police office on your side and after that a night driving exam with a Police officer on your side as well. That's how is done in Europe. Then you will see less accidents for sure.
Driving is not an entitlement.
Being of Austrian descent, I can fully appreciate what you are saying here and agree wholeheartedly.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-16-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 3
Mavus2014.50
clee1982796.00