View Single Post
      04-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #158
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Actually, I'm not okay with Porsche or Ferrari doing it either. Which is why among other reasons I've never considered either. But for Toyota to all of a sudden start implementing this artificial production cap on a Corolla of all models, yeah, it makes me a bit sour as a pretty regular Toyota customer for 20+ years. Doesn't matter if it's a Corolla, "GR 300", Supra, or Land Cruiser. It's bull shit, and nobody wins but the dealerships with idiotic markups.

I'm not as passionate about this as my post might have read. But reading that just changed my interest from being fairly interested into looking elsewhere. I do not mean this as a flex whatsoever, but between my R8 and STI, both of which I did not need to search far and wide for and both of which I paid less than MSRP for, I'm pretty much covered in what experiences I'm after. I just don't like this trend which is typically implemented on high end/exotic cars trickling down to mass produced cars for average middle class enthusiasts who are looking to experience possibly the last generation of the great internal combustion engine cars before everything turns into a toaster on wheels. Get them while you can before they're gone has now become get one if you can, and be prepared to pay up or search far and wide for the privilege. For a damn Corolla.
I agree with most of what you're saying, so I think we are on the same page here. It is annoying that almost any car you're looking at in any price bracket requires you to fellate multiple salesman for the privilege of giving them your money. You've taken what was stereotyped as a shady job, and added such a massive consumer demand, that many dealers are trying to price gouge every customer on every car. I do understand this to a certain extent since this is a market economy, but it is perpetuating many of the negative stereotypes that have been synonymous with the "sleezy" car salesman job. Case in point, I was talking to a salesman about a Z3m that was getting PPI'd before sale. Guy rarely replied to my messages, blew me off repeatedly, didn't give me the information I requested, and ghosted me after a few days. It felt like I was messaging someone on Tinder.

Back to the Corolla, I do think that this is a special car, much more special than a RS3 or STI (no offense) and once the hype dies down a bit, it should be available at MSRP. Yes this will never be a car you can walk down to the local Toyota dealership and pick up on a weekend, and will require you to do a little leg work in order to purchase at a good price. With the car being built in Japan on the same factory and production line (i could be mistaken about the production line) as the LFA, this is a rare modern Japanese built sports car with a lot of the same R&D that makes the GR Yaris special. I can't say too much more, bc reviews aren't out and I haven't driven it, but I do have high hopes for this car. And as mentioned above, I had a pretty easy time getting a deposit on the car at MSRP. Hopefully the car won't suck ass, lol.
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50