04-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #29
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
I've been through leadership courses (Primary Non-Commissioned Officer's Course - PNCOC (prior to promotion to Sergeant) and Basic Non-Commissioned Officer's Course - BNCOC (prior to promotion to Staff Sergeant)). They taught you about the qualities of leadership. Things like integrity and accepting responsibility and morale courage (you know, the things all politicians lack). They were instrumental in focusing one's mind on the things that help make successful leaders.

And I've taken courses on the science of leadership, which is a different animal but still important. Things like personality traits of those who work with you and how groups perform and so on.

Both valuable studies. Natural leadership is a seed. With the right training, it can be cultured and grown into a powerful tool. I've seen "leaders" who just don't have the gift despite all the training. And I've seen leaders who needed little training, but just some fine tuning. The "naturals." But in both cases the practice of studying and training for leadership is valuable and not to be dismissed. It's always worth the effort.
Things havent changed much in 40 years then. I've taken Cpls and Sgts courses, and also college courses on leadership. They all reiterate the same about leading from the front, welfare of those in your charge, integrity and so on.

For the OP, if you Google USMC leadership traits and also principles, you will find a good source on the subject for what can guide a person to be a leader. Not all apply in a corporate environment though.

Every time I've written a paper about leadership or such, I have referenced the military's way, since we've pretty much perfected it.

The comparison on management versus leadership. I look at it this way, managers maintain an organization to complete a daily or monthly task, through the means of delegating tasks, without the consideration of welfare for those under you. Leaders inspire the subordinates into accomplishing the task and they seek advise and guidance to those in their charge, and also seek to improve themselves via the leaders in charge of them.